Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PHARAOHk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
I still don't have a bag but through lots of searching I have finally found some cool bags. http://www.booqbags.com and http://www.chromebags.com have really cool bags. chrome has a hard core carry case. I would still prefer hard side but the chrome bag really isn't for me. I am going to order a booq and write a review later but they look awesome. Any ideas for bags?

(((k)))

PHARAOHk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
I have found that because of the 17's akward size that finding a case is very hard. Especially a high quality, durable, attractive, and reasonably priced case that fits. I had been determined to get a waterproof case but no one makes one specifically for the 17". I have a timbuk2 bag that is pretty rugged and a chrome bag that is really cool but neither fit my new computer. And they aren't made for laptops anyway. The dooq sleeve is available but not the bag so it will be awhile but they look really good.
(((k)))

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
I got the Brenthaven Professional backpack for my 17-inch, and it's one of the best bags I've ever had. The bag fits into a velcroed-in removable sleeve - in case you want to have the same level of protection in, say, your suitcase.

As for whether it's waterproof: given the material and the architecture of the bag, it would have to be submerged in water to have any chance of getting the computer wet.

Apple recommends the Brenthavens for a reason: they're really good. The backpack even has a place to put your thumbs and lighten your load if you're out walking.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
timbuk2 has some nice cases. i ordered my bag and case from them for my 12 inch powerbook, i have been more than happy.

iJon

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Actually, Targus makes a case that fits the 17in. It's the same one that fits the 15in (or any other computer for that matter) and is widely available.

Check out the Targus site, or got to any computer store.

When I have a second I will post pics of the case for reference...

Chad4Mac

PHARAOHk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
I said before that I would prefer submergible and Pelican cases does have some but they are lacking some necessary features. Because of the awkward size of the 17" with a pelican case you would have to make some modifications yourself and I'm just not into that. I thought someone in the same boat could easily find some "cool" bags here with are links. Hate to be superficial but those brenthaven bags are so ugly. That may be beneficial. Being discreet with your expensive laptop is a good strategy. It's also good if the case doesn't look like a computer bag.
(((k)))

Wren

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by iJon
timbuk2 has some nice cases. i ordered my bag and case from them for my 12 inch powerbook, i have been more than happy.

iJon
I waited for the newly designed Timbuk2 messenger bags that was released the end of April. I spoke to a representative and they don't really have a bag that supports the 17 PB even though they have a 17" sleeve. I think I'll go with the Brenthaven. I am not wild about the way they look but i'll probably end up investing in one. I am currently using the leather incase sleeve ( with handle and shoulder strap ) that I bought at the Apple store.:)

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Brenthaven all the way

I've got the Brenthaven shoulder case and I love it. This thing is built to last, and with a lifetime warranty, Brenthaven is willing to back it up. Very rugged in design and protects your investment well. The sleeve alone is great. 1/2 inch padding all the way around and the sides have tough plastic inserts so if it is dropped they will bend outward absorbing most of the blow....as well as the rest of the padding in the sleeve and bag in general. I think it's worth every penny to protect your $3300 17". :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.