17" PB eBay auction advice. smells a bit fishy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by RichCoder, Nov 30, 2004.

1. RichCoder macrumors member

Nov 30, 2004
    Hello everyone. First Post....

I'm considering a powerbook purchase and came accross the following ebay auction...

First, $2,100 for a stock G4 1.5Ghz 17-inch Powerbook seems like an amazing buy, but the seller claims to have 25 of them AND has another auction with 25 more that expires a few days after this one.

Looking back on this sellers history, he/she has only sold small items that generally fall in the $5-$50 range. This seems to be the first major auction he has been involved with. ($105K if all sell :eek: ) Also, from the shipping delay involved, I'm sure these machines haven't even been purchased yet.

Can someone with more experience buying off of ebay please give me some advice? Is there any way I can protect myself if I decide to buy?

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
  3. RichCoder thread starter macrumors member

Nov 30, 2004
    Figured there was something not right. Thanks jimsowden.

4. dylomel macrumors member

Nov 26, 2004
    ebay PB

May be we should report to eBay ??
  5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    There are so many, but whats the harm? I hate scam artists.
  6. dawntreader macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2004

I discovered a very similar auction last week. Seller had been selling $2.00 Christmas ornaments for months and suddenly had 15 powerbooks maxed out everything for $1500. Not the first scam I've discovered on eBay. This one smells like a hijacked user ID to me. Good to look at past and current auctions. I reported the one last week to eBay and then watched the auction. It never got pulled, but no one bid on it.
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Don't worry the local giver of bad auction advice, emaccrazy, should be by soon to tell you that he's thinks you should go for it. :rolleyes:

It's your money, if you think it's a scam -- it probably is.

Don't get caught up in buying something for nothing if you can risk flushing the money down the toilet.
  8. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    Remember, a fool and his money are easly parted.
  9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Ebay Scam Sniffing

Here's a clue:
    Look at the other auctions this seller has on offer.
    Powerbooks, iPods, Sony stuff, 19" LCDs -- allovasudden the guy is a bleedin' department store with the who's who of hot products selected to make people pay first and think later. He's doing PayPal, which is unusual for scammers, but with PayPal, all he has to do is to slurp out the money and close the bank account and you won't be able to recover.

Here's my fraud detection list - 3 or more and I'm not risking it, any 6 of these mean probable fraud:

1 New account or zero feedback or cloaked account
    2 No history of selling this type of goods or radical shift in pattern (based on the feedback - indicative of an acct. hijack)
    3 Offering new high end product with no reserve or a buy it now far below wholesale
    4 Offering new products that are authorized dealer only
    5 Non-recoverable payment methods (Western Union, bank draft, certified cheque, email money transfer)
    6 Preapproved bidders only (so they can harvest your emails and sell to multiple suckers off-eBay)
    7 Individual selling multiple "new" products,
    8 Copy and paste graphics and text, lack of "personal" details (but remember, a lousy picture could just as easily been lifted from another auctioneers 'real' photo)
    9 Missing or absurd location,
    10 Offers free shipping (typical of "offshore supplier/Western Union" type scams)
    11 Country of goods doesn't match country of account registration,
    12 Selling product that is not shipping yet,
    13 Short auction (to sell before EBay responds to complaints)
    14 Solicits direct contact by email (anonymous, throwaway email account) or any text that says "email me here ####@yahoo.com instead of my Ebay profile because I have been having trouble with that email"
    15 PayPal payment solicited outside of the eBay auction payment system. A legit seller should have their Paypal linked to their eBay acct.
    16 Delivery > 30 days after payment. A PayPal refund *has* to be claimed within 1 month or your out of luck. If they can string you along to the 32nd day ("Yeah, I shipped it, I don't know why it's taking so long, hang on a few more days while I track the package for you or I'll send you another one"), they're home-free.

- Make it a policy to ALWAYS post a PayPal non-delivery claim on the 29th day. You can always cancel the claim if the goods show up later.

10. RichCoder thread starter macrumors member

Nov 30, 2004
    Awesome advice CanadaRAM. Thank you for that list.