17" PB freezes on PSU but not battery

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by WinterMute, May 25, 2003.

1. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    My 17" PB freezes constantly when attached to the power supply, they are random freezes, often during start-up, nearly always within 20 mins even if I don't touch it.

When running on the battery it's solid as a rock. I've done all the usual stuff, permissions, fsck -y, reset the PMU, reset the NVRAM, restarted from the DVD and run the disc utility. I don't have a 3rd party utility, but the Apple Hardware check reveals nothing.

Any ideas or should I throw it back at Apple?

I read an article on Macfixit posted by a 17 user who'd had problems with his PSU not changeing it's colour and not charging properly, the guy at the Apple store said there was a known issue with the 17 PSU.

Any thoughts?
  2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    could be as simple as bad wiring in the power supply... but my instinct when dealing with such a serious defect on a new $3000 machine is to send it back to apple and let them take care of it, *especially* if there's a known problem.

Maybe, though, if you just call apple it'll turn out to be just the adaptor, and they'll send you a new one or something...

I say bring this to apple's attention asap. This should not be happening, plain and simple.