17" PB or wait for 15.4"??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MUrhino, May 1, 2003.

1. MUrhino macrumors regular

MUrhino

Does anybody know of any accurate information as to the arrival of the 15.4" Aluminum PB? I know all the iPod information was VERY accurate, and I'm in a position to buy the 17" with a 15Gig iPod tomorrow or wait for the 15 inch.

I'm buying it through the ADC student developer discount and it's saving me around $500! I'd appreciate any thoughts! If I got the 15", I'd probably want an external display to go with it....not necessarily right away though. I've been saving for a year, so I'm pumped about buying one!
    Thanks!

2. vniow macrumors G4

The sooner you get a Mac, the happier you'll be.[​IMG]

3. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Wiat for the new 15. Buyers remorse is a bitch.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the 15 is a good all around laptop

the 12 inch powerbook is best suited for its great portability but may not be the best graphic design machine or gaming machine in a portable

the 17 inch may be overkill for many people and for some, may be on the heavy side as a portable

as much as i like the new powerbooks, whether it be low price, or large screen, the 15 inch powerbook is still the perfect machine

if it means anything to anybody here, the 15 inch screen is the standard size for pc laptops

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Get the 17, I got mine on Monday, its a monster, not too heavy with a good bag (brenthaven's Pro17 backpack is great) it really isn't too big once you get over the initial impression.

This is the best Apple laptop ever, it rivals desktop performance (except for the really heavy stuff) and it's SOOOOOOOO cool.

Bloody expensive though...;)

6. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

I think the only reason you should consider waiting for the 15in is if Apple decides to put a 1.25 in it, or something entirely different, like the 970 relatively soon. But I highly doubt that the 970 will be introduced to the 15in or any other portable in the near, near future. If your wait for this feature, you'll be waiting for a long time...

I've had the 17in PB for sometime now, and I am completely used to the size. It's normal to me, and I think if I got to play around with the 15 again (I do miss my 667 PB; it was my first Mac :() the screen would look small. The 17in is extremely portable and rugged. I bring it to work everyday and travel with it; it even fits in my old Targus bag. Another thing: the speakers on the 17in are awesome! Real loud and clear. I listen to more music because of them while playing around on the computer because they sound so good!

Really, though, I think it comes down to screen size. What's going to suite you best, the 15in or the 17in? And I don't think they will surprise us with a 1.25 chip in the 15in over the 17in when the new 15in model comes out. Go for the 17in!

Chad4Mac

7. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

like i mentioned before, if apple really wants to make this year "the year of the laptop", then by year's end it would be cool if apple can introduce the 970 in a portable

of course it [the 970] would have to make it into a desktop sometime this summer or fall

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Comparing the two is ridiculous right now. the internal specs will not be vastly different - the screen size should make your decision for you.

10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

What kind of computer do you have right now? Could you wait if you had to? If I were you, then I would wait, just to see if the 970 is put in a 15" or 17".