17" pb too big?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I was wondering if anyone has used the 17" pb for taking notes in class at college(or would you look stupid)?

Everyone here loves the 15" but I need this for a desktop replacement and the 17" is perfect for that, and I really dont want to get a 12" and usa an external moniter either. So does or would the 17" make you look gay in class?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't know, will you be wearing a pink frilly shirt at the time? :p

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I suppose it depends on how big the desks are. If it hangs off the side, then, no, it wouldn't look that good.

4. mac_gal macrumors member

There are a lot of helpful threads on this, including:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=81306

And what do you know, the person who started that thread has your same username. :rolleyes:

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Who cares? Do you need the 17" as a desktop replacement, or are you worried about your appearance?

Unless by "gay" you mean "has enough money as a college student to buy a better mac than that poor loser emw on macrumors," then yes, you'll look gay.

6. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

I think this is obviously a fashion choice for you...and yes you would look queer holding that huge powerbook on that tiny desk (esp. if it's auditorium seating). However, the fashion police are fond of white ibooks, every shape and size you just can't go wrong, white says pure, clean, approachable...think about it! If you're behind that 17" you might as well be in a tank.

Sorry, it's Friday and I'm having fun!

7. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

mwaaah, BUSTED!

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Honestly the 15" is just as good a desktop replacement as the 17". Well in my point of view anyway. I bought the 15" and am using it as a desktop replacement for college. It's all i need.

9. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Some people like to say that it's not the size of the... yeah, but how you use it.

Personally I think no matter what anyone says, there's just some things that bigger ones can do, that small ones just can't. :D

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well, the 15" is the exact same thing as the 17", only with a smaller screen size. They can do the same things (performance wise), thought the 17" can fit a little more on the screen. The 15" is, in my opinion, the best choice for you.

11. vkapoormd macrumors member

i would have to agree; i have the 15 inch PB (Rev B, 1.25, 5400rpm, 1.5gb RM) and i ended up selling my PC desktop (of course only so i could ultimately buy a G5!!); having said that, while i have not yet ordered my G5, the 15 inch has been more than adequate as a desktop replacement, and does everything that my desktop did; i think this is the sweetspot of the PB line....
    :)

12. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Don't be worried about the 17" hanging off the desks, worry about hauling it around!!!!
    That sucker has to get heavier and heavier. There is a reason why I look for 12" portables, and that is for portability. I can't imagine carrying 10 pounds extra with all the junk I have in my backpack, walking around the campus all day and blocking the views of other students that sit behind me, while the 17" screen blinds/distracts everyone. Just don't sit by the window and block the sun.

13. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I've very glad I got the 17"!
    Wouldn't change it for anything!

14. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    with that attitude, i think you'll look gay with anything.

my 17" is not TOO big. she is large, but i love her.

15. morkintosh macrumors regular

he is right you know. but for my money I say a sheet of paper and a pen can't be beat in class. besides you might have nazi profs like me who make students put their notebooks away during lectures.

16. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

while they're at it, why no make you use papyrus and charcoal?

notes on your laptop are great. makes it SOOOO easy to go back through and add in stuff (if your prof jumps around) and great for looking at them before a test.

17. morkintosh macrumors regular

when I was in school I always found it to be a pain to use a laptop in class, particularly when in math and comp sci classes when I needed to quickly write equations or other diagrams; great for history classes through.

Although I still don’t allow laptops when I lecture, class is for note taking, not reading mac rumors with the wi-fi; unless of course students would stop complaining about failing tests …

18. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

true, true.

i was an art major, so lectures for me did not involve equations.

19. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I guess it will all depend on what our major is and where you are.
    A lot of my notes come in the form of PDF or slides and I like to add the notes on the side and strongly considering Notetaker software by ???????
    I am a psyc major and my writing hand hurts with intensive notetaking (early arthritis?!?!?!) and find the use of PC to take notes to be faster and more effective since it gives me time to listen to what the lecture is about as opposed to taking down what is on the displays. YES, both task can be done at the same time, but it is less effective for me.
    But 17" is still too big. Whenever I see it in stores, I fear that it would collapse whatever it is sitting on. That thing is way too big to haul around every day.

20. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

<shudders> I bought my 15" iBook especially for the purpose of taking notes in class. I type a *lot* faster than I write and my notes turn out so much cleaner this way. It's also easier to print off a sheet to compare/share with classmates and stuff. I sincerely hope I never get a professor with that type of rule.

21. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

HAS ANYONE EVER USED A 17" Powerbook IN CLASS????????????? If so tell me if it felt ok or awkward.

22. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

no- i used a 15" Titanium all the time in class. I don't see how my 17" would make me feel awkward.

but- once again, i was an art major, graphic design emphasis. screen size was bigger, the better.

23. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I was thinking that we just had this discussion not long ago! :rolleyes:

24. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

You and Mac Gal keep saying its the same post but its not!!!! I AM ASKING IF ANYONE HERE HAS EVER USED A 17" PB IN CLASS AND HOW IT MADE THEM FEEL(awkward, fine, or great?)

25. rinseout macrumors regular

You might want to save some of that money, or take your girlfriend out, or buy a decent suit, or buy some running shoes, or get an opera subscription or something. Something.

17" PBs have their place, but when people I know who make their living in computing science (I'm not one of them) do it all on 14" iBooks and smaller, it's hard to see the sense in a first-year college student needing a 17" PB in lectures unless they're majoring in video or something of that sort AND need their own edit suite at their desk.

You never know when you're going to need to render a short film and master a DVD during Calculus I. :rolleyes:

YMMV. You asked how it would look, and I'm telling you there are those out there who will think that you're trying a bit too hard. Appearances aside, you should consider whether this purchase is really the best use of your resources given your situation.