Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Geez, I can't believe how far this has gone.

In some high schools and places, you can say that something "is soooooo gay," and its still acceptable. Its just an expression used by HS kids. I realize that he can't (and shouldn't) use that phrase in most places, but if you understand what he's talking about, then just let the kid slide. I used that word like that (sorta), and I think its pretty dumb to say it, but I used to say the same thing when someone did something "lame."

Its wrong to use that word for any purpose, but maybe its wrong for me to say "God damn it!" in case I offend someone very religious. You never really know.

And he's asking whether the 17" will be difficult to use in class, in case some of the brainiacs here can't figure out what he's asking us. And the answer is "yes, it will be difficult", unless you don't mind using it on your lap for an hour. Its light for a 17" laptop, but its not light. Since you've chosen to go with the 17" anyway, stick with that decision and just use paper in class. Most people in the world still do, and I survived my years in Uni with paper, and still do.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I haven't read the commentary in this thread, nor do I plan to take a side. vraxtus just got banned for making the comments he made, so use his line of thinking as a warning of what not to do. I'll leave it for you to take note of, instead of deleting the comments.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
17" PB too big - NAH

I use a 17" PB at home and work and only attract envy - never accusations about my sexuality ! Get a 17" if your funds stretch to it - the extra screen real-estate is worth the extra cash. :)

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
yes it is too big. unless you're doing some sort of movie editing or photography, or some other design courses, 17" is overkill. sure it'll attract envy and oooh-ahhh comments from almost everybody around you, but you can and probably will look like a fool trying to fit that 17" lapzilla on the tiny tiny desks in the lecture halls.

i have a 15", and i think even that's a bit too big to be used in a lecture setting. what i'm probably going to do is take notes with paper and retype them. this not only ensures speed, but also gives me a review period - which is nice.

it's not only about vanity and looks, but carrying something like a 17" is not very practical. it's heavier, and larger. and because of the widescreen design, it's harder to find a backpack that can fit it easily. my 15" barely clears my North Face Borealis, and that's one of their largest daypacks.

i guess it's all your call, but i think it's a tad too big. :p

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Abstract said:
Geez, I can't believe how far this has gone.

In some high schools and places, you can say that something "is soooooo gay," and its still acceptable. Its just an expression used by HS kids. I realize that he can't (and shouldn't) use that phrase in most places, but if you understand what he's talking about, then just let the kid slide. I used that word like that (sorta), and I think its pretty dumb to say it, but I used to say the same thing when someone did something "lame."

Its wrong to use that word for any purpose, but maybe its wrong for me to say "God damn it!" in case I offend someone very religious. You never really know.

And he's asking whether the 17" will be difficult to use in class, in case some of the brainiacs here can't figure out what he's asking us. And the answer is "yes, it will be difficult", unless you don't mind using it on your lap for an hour. Its light for a 17" laptop, but its not light. Since you've chosen to go with the 17" anyway, stick with that decision and just use paper in class. Most people in the world still do, and I survived my years in Uni with paper, and still do.

WOW, I think we must be twins that were seperated at birth. You READ MY MIND! This could have been the best response to any post that I have ever posted!

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
So now that I think everyone is done talking about whatever they want to talk about, can we go back to my question. Will the 17" pb not look or feel right in class and do you think I will even want to use it in class, or is a pen and paper easier?

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Rob587 said:
So now that I think everyone is done talking about whatever they want to talk about, can we go back to my question. Will the 17" pb not look or feel right in class and do you think I will even want to use it in class, or is a pen and paper easier?
rinseout said:
You might want to save some of that money, or take your girlfriend out, or buy a decent suit, or buy some running shoes, or get an opera subscription or something. Something.

17" PBs have their place, but when people I know who make their living in computing science (I'm not one of them) do it all on 14" iBooks and smaller, it's hard to see the sense in a first-year college student needing a 17" PB in lectures unless they're majoring in video or something of that sort AND need their own edit suite at their desk.

You never know when you're going to need to render a short film and master a DVD during Calculus I. :rolleyes:

YMMV. You asked how it would look, and I'm telling you there are those out there who will think that you're trying a bit too hard. Appearances aside, you should consider whether this purchase is really the best use of your resources given your situation.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Rob587 said:

What is your subject? If you are just going to be taking a lot of written words down, it might be nicer. If there are lots of diagrams that need to be drawn, filled in, etc, pen and paper. I have the newest 15" pb, but I don't take it to class very often. You need more than just text for biology. That being said, if the prof uses powerpoint, sometimes I will take it

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
I will be majoring in political science and and I will not be taking any math classes. (other than whats required for the first two years of college)

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
Rob587 said:

several people have already answered this, let me try again.

so, since: you've decided to buy it anyway ...

Rob587 said:
The reason is I pretty much have to have it for what I will be using it for and I was just wondering if you guys thought I could bring it to class as well, or is it too big

you should: just try it in class and see, if you don't like it for class then ... wait for it ... DON'T USE IT IN CLASS.

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
From another thread:

Rob587 said:
I will be going to college next year so keep in mind it will be with whatever is out by then.

so let me get this right, you aren't even going buy this until next year, and you have all but cross posted the question?

I want the 30min or so of my life I spent posting on this thread back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.