17" Powerbook: Better Speakers?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ppc_michael, Jul 4, 2005.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'm about to purchase a 17" Powerbook and I'm wondering: would the speakers be any better than the 15"? It has wider speaker gratings, so... are there bigger speakers behind there? :)

Also, you don't think I'm crazy for buying a Powerbook now, do you? Since it'll be a few years before the Intels anyway. I have an iBook G4 currently, but it's not cutting it with the low resolution and definitely not with my FCP. Even so, I'm still hesitant. ;)

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

that's a good question. I have a 17" G4 powerbook, I never noticed a dramatic difference between a 15" and this one, but I haven't really had a chance to put the two into real comparison. hmmmm.....

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I believe the 17" speakers have larger drivers however the 12" and 15" has a mid-range enhancing third speaker in the grate under the screen.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I just traded up from 15" to 17" and the speakers seem to be slightly louder on the 17". I haven't actually compared them, but they seem louder than I remember with the 15".

5. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Oh okay. :) Thanks!

How do (any) Powerbook speakers compare with iBooks? I have some nice Edirol digital monitors so it won't be an issue most of the time, but I'm just wondering what I can expect when I'm "mobile."

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I find the sound quality and loudness to be much better on my 17" than my old 15". And no I don't think you're crazy, Rev. D 17" is purrrfect. ;)

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

wasn't it the 17" that had that third "bass"speaker??

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Link

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Where do they put it in those tiny macs... If it was in the 17" I could believe it, but in the 12"... In the 17" you do have optical in and out, also a pre if you're doing video-editing.

10. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Wow thanks for all the replies! :) One more question about the PB and then I'll leave you alone. ;)

I bought a 1GB stick of RAM for my iBook. Will I be able to use that in my Powerbook, or does it take a different kind?

11. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

Your iBook takes PC2100 RAM and the Powerbook takes PC2700. You can use your current RAM, but it will slow down your Powerbook a little bit.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The 17" speakers are larger. I'd say that this is better, but maybe not in terms of sound quality.

13. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Mmm, I agree.

I wouldn't say that sound quality is heightened, but they are a little bit louder.

If you are basing your desision solely on the speakers, buy the 15" and some good quality externals.