17" Powerbook Blows Up!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Grimace, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Well, there was no combustion, but I got an error like non-other before. Similar (IMO) to the Blue Screen of Death in Windows. A darker tint came over the screen from the top down, at the speed of a CRT screen refresh and then the black screen with the message popped up and everything froze. What is the deal with this??:

[​IMG]

2. BillClinton macrumors member

That my friend is a Kernal Panic. I believe a Kernal Panic is when the the hardware and software get mad at each other, and stop talking. When this happens, you receive that screen and you must restart.

They aren't that common, the only two I've ever had were under Jaguar, and their cause was an external floppy drive that was left plugged in durring sleep. Hope yours is as simple to find out as mine was.

Cheers

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You got me all excited! I was expecting to see some carnage :D.

You experienced a kernal panic. It's a total OS X crash. The usual culprit is bad RAM. Have you added any to your machine lately?

4. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I plugged in a Sony digital camera to the USB drive....and then unplugged it without "ejecting" it. I've done that a ton before, I don't know why it freaked this time.

I was running a ton of programs on the PB and an external LCD monitor hooked up through the DVI.

hmm...

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I was hoping for the same carnage seen in the cell phone market when the Li-batteries explode and burn the side of the head and hands.

Of course since it's a laptop... :eek:

Such a tease title with no substance.

It's almost as bad as being promised pizza, beer, and/or ice cream -- then getting vegi pizza with soy cheese/dough, coors light beer, and soy-based ice cream with no sugar. :(

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I've noticed kernal panics sometimes when dealing with USB devices. I wouldn't worry about it, just be careful in the future to eject first.