17" Powerbook Internal Speakers Stopped Working...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andym172, Jan 20, 2004.

1. andym172 macrumors 6502

* This may appear to be a hardware issue, but I'm of the opinion that it will prove to be a software problem, so I'd appreciate it if the topic was left here. *

Over the past couple of days I've had problems with getting the internal speakers on my 1.33ghz PB to work while I've been logged into my user area (the only user area on the computer).

When the computer is initially booted up I hear the usual BOING!! (forgive me for such a poor description! :) ), but once I'm signed in I can't get any sound out of the speakers.

I've been to 'Sound' in System Preferences and checked that all of the settings are correct and that Mute isn't selected, and everything appears to be ok.

I've also tried inserting a movie DVD to see if this changes anything, but the DVD starts a plays the video, but still no sound.

I haven't dropped the computer, or spilt water on it, so I would think it is almost definitely a software issue (backed up by the fact that I get the initial BOING!! sound).
    I never play the speakers at full volume so I would very much doubt that they'd be shot either.

I've tried shutting down and restarting the computer, but this does not always fix the problem.

A perfect example of how erratic the problem is that when I booted the computer around 10 minutes ago there was no sound - tried playing music in iTunes and nothing... I've just started iTunes and wahey - music playing through the speakers! :)

Also, last night while playing a DVD, the sound was perfect for a good 20 minutes or so, but then all sound from the speakers was lost and only the video was running.

Anybody else experienced these problems? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!

2. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Hi andym172,

This sounds like a hardwareproblem :(

You should call Apple, or better, go to an Applestore. I bet your PB is quite new so it could be a producing mistake. I ´m sure Apple will fix your problem very quick ! :)

Good luck !

Dave out.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hardware problem by the looks of it. since its so brand spanking new hehe take it in

4. tdct12 macrumors newbie

Not a hardware problem

I had the same problem about 10 minuts ago. heres what you need to, open system preferences
    click sound
    click output and select internal speakers