17" Powerbook Internal Speakers Stopped Working...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andym172, Jan 20, 2004.

1. andym172 macrumors 6502

I posted this subject in the software forum, but have since discovered (by phoning Apple) that it now appears to be a hardware problem. :(

This was my original post:

I phoned Applecare who were very helpful and took me through a number of test to see what's wrong with the speakers.

After 1 1/2 hours we tried the most obvious thing - plug some external speakers into the unit and see if they work. They did.

So it now appears to be a hardware problem - most probably a loose connection (given that sometimes music plays, others it doesn't).

SO, my question is, how easy is it to get to the wires to check if there is a loose connection?

I could and should send my computer away to Apple but I really do need it. They say that it'll take between 7-10 working days to get it back to me, and for a loose connection this seems a bit of a waste.

If anybody can offer any advice as to how to sort this out then I would be very grateful!

Thanks! :)

2. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

just a thought

i don't have an answer to your problem but I thought you should consider that any tinkering that you do on your own to fix the speakers would invalidate your Apple warranty.

3. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure - but if it is a very easy problem to fix and is easily accesible I thought I'd give it a go myself.

4. robbybogers macrumors member

Just for the record I just sent in my iBook to apple for a bunch of repairs and it was only gone for 3 days, but that doesn't mean it will be the same for you