17" powerbook resale value

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mashinhead, Mar 10, 2005.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    I was just at the apple store about to buy a 17" powerbook, i don't know how long i'll really need it for, but i'll eventually sell it later this year. So i started to look online on ebay to see what they go for. And i notice that most really aren't selling well at all around about 1000. i don't mind loosing 3-400 bux but 2000K thats another story.

So i just wanted to see what ppl thought. Have you recently sold yours, and did you get what you expected or near. or are you the type that would buy a 17incher. Or do alot of ppl shy away from it cos of the size? Or are you a 17" owner and love your powerbook, or do you think its too big and wish you had gone 15 instead.
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    It's difficult to determine resale value based on eBay alone. That's because there are a lot of different factors to consider:

• Scammers inflate the market.
    • Condition... dents, used/new, dead pixels.
    • How old is the listing? 10 days, 3 hours?
    • Is the seller including software licenses?
    • Memory upgrades, warranties...

... and so on.

A more reliable source is PriceGrabber or a site such as EveryMac which lists an approximate resale value.

Resale value depends on Apple, more than anything. Since resellers aren't permitted to lower prices, a model will stay at the same price point for months at a time. Apple will occassionally lower prices, but models will generally keep their value until a new one comes out. Then the price will depend on features, improvements, etc.

To keep this short the 17" should keep its resale value better than any of other Apple laptops, because LCD technology has changed very little and the screen is the most expensive component. Whereas a 12" will decrease much more rapidly because the screen costs less. If Apple does something radical like X-Brite, higher resolutions or OLED, it could be a different story.

I used a 15" for months, and regretted not shelling out for the 17" (which I will soon be getting :) ). The small increase in portability wasn't worth it for me, and the 17" looks to be a perfect fit. I also like being "top gun." :cool: I find the design of the 17" far more striking because of its thinness and screen. The 15" size is similar to a lot of PC laptops nowadays.
  3. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    really, i think its a little too big for some reason, maybe i'm the only one. and when i open the screen its too light, theres no resistance like one the 15". but i'll probably end up getting the 17" cos i need the screen size. but we'll see.
  4. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    mashinhead have you ever used (owned) a PowerBook (or other laptop) before? if you've found that from experience a 15" is a good size for you then maybe that's good to stick with. but if your're going to be selling this later in the year i'd say go with the 17", then there's no chance you'll wish you had gone for something else - because you'll have the biggest and the greatest. :cool: also i think thhe 17" would hold it's resale value better than the 15"... but don't quote me on that.

also - if you're going to sell it later this year then why not look at buying a second hand 17" instead? then you're not paying full price, and when you go to re-sell it won't lose nearly as much money as if you'd bought new. ;)