17" powerbook Screen flickering??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Obsidian6, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

OK so i just noticed TODAY that my powerbook's screen is flickering. i didnt really notice it until i changed the background to a neutral grey and now i see a horizontal flicker. does it always do that? or is something going bad?

i still have a year left on my apple care ( fortunately ) so if its dying ill certainly take it in to them.

anyone else have this problem?

2. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

you mean i have the only powerbook with a flickering screen?

well at any rate im going to go by the apple store today and have them assess it

3. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Mine and other's 15" MBP screen flickered when it wasn't at full brightness. I'm not sure what Apples policy is on it though.

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I sometimes see some flickring but i think its normal when the screen gets hot or when you open the lid.

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I have a 17" PB (see sig) and I haven't noticed a flicker.

If the flicker occurs when youre adjusting the screen, there may be a loose connector inside.

But, if the flicker is just a result of changing the background, go to Displays in System Preferences and see if changing to a higher or lower resolution does anything.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've noticed that my iMac's screen flickers occasionally, but I can hardly notice it. For awhile, I wasn't even sure it was really flickering, I just thought I was loosing my mind.

I notice it especially the first few minutes after turning my computer on.

7. Monsoon130 macrumors newbie

17" Flicker

I have had the "flicker" for over a year now. The conclusion I have come to is that it is heat related. Usually comes when video is being watched for longer than 10 minutes or so. Does that sound about what is happening to you? I bought a chill pad (three fan) and when I use it, the screen does not flicker. It also goes away when the pad cools the bottom of the machine down. If I don't use the pad, the flickering eventually consumes the screen to the point of complete garbage. The only thing to do then is close the lid and wait until the machine cools down. I wonder how to test the fan assembly to see if it might not be working. Of course it went out right after my warranty expired. No extended care. Won't make that mistake again.