17" Powerbook too big?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Advance The Man, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

and yes I did a search, here's the results

I started this journey a couple of weeks ago set on an iBook 12". I wanted it to be simple, super small, cheap and something to get used to the new Apple experience, which I've never done.

Then b/c of Tiger, I decided on 12" Powerbook, then I realized I'm having trouble with my eyes I moved to a 15". Now ten minutes ago I was ready to click my orde complete at apple.com for a 15" PB 512 ram, 80gb hd, 1.67 with 128 Video - for $2,189 I decided to check the same specs on a 17" and it's $2,309 - only $120 more! These are education rates and before taxes, no apple care.

I've seen a 17" in passing, never picked one up since I never was considering it. Any opinions that the 17 is too big?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Can you get to an Apple store or a CompUSA to see one in person?

I personally think it's too big, and the 12" looks too small. So 15" is just right for me.

As for weight, put something that weighs 7lbs into a backpack or shoulder bag and carry it around for while.

By the way, opinion is probably split 50-50 on whether its too big. You have to see for yourself, but if you're asking the question, it probably is for you.

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Get the 17"

I bought the PB 17" and I'm glad I didn't get the 15". I carry the laptop to school just about everyday. However get a good backpack!! I have this backpack and it's great, holds a lot of stuff Link. Plus the extra weight gives you a good workout walking to class.

Nuc

4. iGary Guest

iGary

What are you using it for?

I have the 12" because I travel a lot, and let me tell you lugging that 17" around would suck.

I also just use the laptop for offloading CF cards, e-mail, surfing and a little Photoshop along with burning CD's of my images...it's all about what you'll use it for. ;)

5. capone2 macrumors regular

not to big

I got the 17" 1.5 for a deal in Feburary and it is great! not to big, not to heavy its a small sacrifice for 2" more of screen space and 2 pounds more than the 15!!! so what.

PB 17" 1.5ghz 1gig ram

6. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i had the same dilema and went with the 17". and i don't regret it one bit. I look at 15" pbs now and think they're too small. i say go 17"

7. capone2 macrumors regular

Yes me too! they look so small to me know !!

8. devman macrumors 65816

devman

you really should try and get to a store and try one out first. But... I have a PB15 but my next one will be a 17.

9. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm gonna go look at them at the apple store. When is it too big? Would a 17" look small when Apple comes out next month with their 19" Powerbook?

When I travel it's in the car. I would use DUN with my Sprint Treo 650 in the car on the occasions I'm traveling for business. I would say the majority of it would be at home and take over my Dell PC.

I will use it for family photo editing and ordering online, video editing and making dvd's, watching dvd's, using word and excel, would create a .emac page, email. Nothing earth shattering, but I'm the king of overkill.

I agree that it would suck to lug it around, but would be awesome looking at the huge display!

Does it have a built-in reader? I use SD cards.

10. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I would say that its to big. Its got an awesome screen thats for sure, but a laptop is for mobility. I personally prefer the 12 inch. I like the size and the screen is great. I think you'll find the 17 inch a little inconveinent from time to time. Not to mention its a lot more expensive than its little brothers or sisters whichever. :p

11. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Why? Or just more of the 'wow' factor?

12. iGary Guest

iGary

.[/QUOTE]
    It won't even fit on most airline trays.

FW card reader.

13. andrewfee macrumors 6502

It depends on how you plan on using it really. I've got a maxed out 17" Rev.D Powerbook and I'm glad I went with it instead of a 15"

I'd say 90% of my usage is at a desk, which is where it's probably best suited, but I have no problems using it on my lap.

The ammount of space you get, and the quality of the screen (after calibration) it outstanding.
    It really is the "portable desktop" it's advertised as.

I admit, there are times where I wish I had the 15" or even a 12" one for its ultra portability (about the size of a textbook) but then I couldn't work effectively at 1024x768.

I also get about 3 hours battery life with the keyboard backlight on, the screen brightness on automatic and airport going the whole time. (downloading videos from ign/gamespot or streaming music from gamingfm)

If you're on the go a lot, I'd say the 15" or even the 12" is the one to go for.
    If it's 50/50 then Either the 15" or the 17"
    If most of your time is spent at a desk with some usage elsewhere, definitely get the 17"

14. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i went to the store 7 times looking at the two side by side, thinking the 17" was too big. Next to the 15" it does look too big. But you're not gonna have i next to a 15" when you bring it home are you. When mine came home it didn't look too big at all, and as for taking it outside. Its fine. no problems.

15. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

The 17" is way to big, its the size of a lunch tray. Add to that its price, and the thing is just a liability. 12" is perfect.

16. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

andrewfee, you mentioned a 3 hour use with utilizing some power hungry items. What's the max time if you are utilizing a word processor.

I'm assuming the 17 battery life doesn't last as long as the 15 and 12?

17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

After owning a 15" for a few months, I'm completely in love with the 17".

No regrets at all. :)

Also, it depends on what you are used to. If you've been using small screens all your life, the 15" is wonderful. However, if you're used to high resolutions and large screens, anything but the 17" looks... well, cramped.

18. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I know people with 15" Powerbooks and they get about the same time as me because there's a bigger battery in the 17" model. The 12" uses the same size as the 15" which is why it gets better battery life. The last time I tested (the one I posted above) the screen was about 30/40% brightness most of the time, and like I said AirPort was on and in use the entire time.

I've just fully charged up my battery and tested the Powerbook with the brightness at its lowest, airport off, processor speed set to reduced, and typing out a document.

I gave it 5/10 minutes for the battery indicator to "stabilize" itself, and it was expecting me to get about 4:20 out of it. From my experience the indicator, after about 5/10 minutes use is pretty darn accurate; if anything it underestimates how long you're going to get by about 5-10 minutes. So it lives up to the 4:30 advertised on the site. I actually have cpu napping disabled (don't ask) but I'm not sure how much difference that would make.

Something I have just noticed though; the Powerbook will only charge the battery if it's at 95% or less. It was sitting at 96% and staying there. Once I unplugged and let it drain to 94% it then charged up to full capacity.

My battery so far has had about 9 charge cycles out of it, but the machine is only three or so weeks old.

19. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I've had my 17" 1.33 for about 1.5 years now and love it. I t has fit on every tray table - no problems there at all. I travel for work all the time and it is essential to me to have the extra screen real estate for graphics and video editing on-the-go. I don't find it to be too heavy and the Brenthaven backpack I use is a perfect bag for traveling around the world with. After working so long on the 17" I have tried to use my business partner's 15" or 12" - I can barely handle them - way too small for me - very frustrating. I've been spoiled by the 17" much the same way that I can hardly use a mouse after being introduced to a Wacom tablet years ago.

Every once in awhile I wish i had a 12" in addition to the 17" just for running around town but that feeling is fleeting.

20. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

The 17 inch is perfect for the editor on the go... It's only too big if your don't need it. :)

21. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Here are some pictures which I took @ school in my classroom during a brake - they should help you to imagine the size of the 17".

From left to right: 12" PB, 12" iBook, 14" iBook and finally the 17" PB

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love the 17" :p :rolleyes:

22. andrewfee macrumors 6502

:eek: That 14" iBook is huge! I expected something slightly bigger than the 12" but it's close to the 17" Powerbook! Must be pretty bad running 1024x768 on a screen that size.

23. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Size and weight Powerbook (17-inch model)

* Height: 1.0 inch (2.6 cm)
    * Width: 15.4 inches (39.2 cm)
    * Depth: 10.2 inches (25.9 cm)
    * Weight: 6.9 pounds (3.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed

Size and weight: iBook (14.1-inch model)

* Height: 1.35 inches (3.42 cm)
    * Width: 12.7 inches (32.3 cm)
    * Depth: 10.2 inches (25.9 cm)
    * Weight: 5.9 pounds (2.7 kg)

It is :(

24. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Very cool pixs, thank you. I am going to apple store tomorrow. I called ahead they only have 2 17" with 100gb's. They have no 15" in stock with 128 VRAM. So I have a decision to make. I started looking at the lowest iBook Apple has to offer, now I'm considering the most expensive and largest Apple has to offer. I'm pathetic!

25. vkapoormd macrumors member

I had a 15 inch PB for about a year and a half and it seemed the perfect size. I got my dad into macs recently and he took my 15 incher and i ended up getting a 17 inch PB. It does not seem big at all and now when i look at the 15 inch, it seems small. As far as weight goes, it's about 1.3 lbs more (6.9 vs 5.6), so not terribly more. I love the screen on the 17 inch model, so i would go for that one, having tried out both. Either way though, you can't make a wrong decision. Both are excellent machines..... :)