17" Powerbook vs Sony Laptop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Fall, Mar 5, 2003.

1. macrumors member

A friend of mine who loves to have the latest and greatest gadgets wants to buy a laptop right, but he's a big Sony fanatic and I'm trying to convince him to get a Mac!!

This whole 'biggest laptop screen ever' thing has him intrigued, but he doesn't like the sound of a 1GHz machine compared to the sony which he says is a 2.5GHz P4...

now, I don't know the slightest thing about hardware, do the Mac's out perform those PC machines?

2. macrumors 6502

First things first. Does he actually plan to use this thing when it's not plugged in? Cause P4s are notorious for poor battery life. I get 2.5 hours average. Most of my friends with windows laptops hardly hit the one hour barrier. And when they do cut off they loose everything. Meanwhile my laptop calmly goes to sleep and keeps whatever i was working on ready to go for when it's given some more juice

3. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

if your friend is worried about speed refer him to barefeats.com

they have a lot of fair and balanced speed tests of all kinds, including mac vs pc.

they have lots of various tests but the two of most interest to your firend would probably be the mac versus pc test and the mac laptop tests.

It isn;t realy cut and dry, and the mac vs pc test is a bit old but it does show that there isn't much of a gap between mac and pc.

of course buying a laptop isn't just about the speed of the processor. size, weight, and battery life are just as important if not more important than raw cpu power. in these categories the mac blows away the competition. the price of mac laptops also is very competitive.

and don't be afraid to push the benefits of osx over xp either. check out threads here in the switcher stories section or the advice for switchers threads we see so often. sharing these responses with your friend would be helpful as he could see that other pc users have switched and see what their reasons are and what their impressions have been.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Thnx bro

Yeh, it's more than just raw speed, but the whole "pentium has 1.5 more ghz" had him a little thrown...

...hopefully I can switch him to the mac, seeings though I don't have a mac of mine own!!

(400mhz G4 powermac at work...)

5. macrumors 65816

yzedf

My IBM P3 500MHz ThinkPad 600X (1999) does the same thing your Mac does, while mine is running linux. Might be more of an OS problem than hardware.