17" - Sharp edge right before the keyboard??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ELYXR, Apr 12, 2003.

1. ELYXR macrumors regular

Alright... this problem has plagued me for the last 2 weeks since I've been toying with the idea of getting a 17" Powerbook. Have any 17" Powerbook owners noticed the relatively sharp edge right before the keyboard? I'm worried that if I buy one... it will bother me to no end. I noticed the 15" TiBook has a pleasantly curved slope into the keyboard... Any thoughts?

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Trust me, it has no effect on typing...you're wrists are usually located well below the line when typing...well at least mine are. I have no gripes with the edge below the keyboard.

The 17" is a very nice machine...trust me. :)

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

i've never noticed that before, thank you for pointing that out...
    it doesn't bother me and i think it's okay.

4. Wren macrumors regular

I'm typing on it right now and no problems. It is not an impediment. I was at the Apple Store today and I met someone who is holding off buying the 17PB. He mentioned that the dualG4 17PB is coming next! I have no idea when this will happen but he said it's in the horizon.

5. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

now that would be some kind of cool :)

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Honestly dual powerbooks have been rumored for over a year now. Though there is one point to be made here. The 17" has become the new flagship of the line if they upgrade the 15" it should compete in everyway with the 17" except the screen. To differentiate the 17" more they could make it a dual. It would be a lot easier to make the 17" a dual then the 15" and yes Apple had working prototypes of a dual 15".

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

must be nice to be clairvoyant ;) care to share buddy?

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah MacBandit, you been holding out on us? i've never heard of these dual-15" prototypes... :D

9. iGav macrumors G3

It's going to be interesting to see whether the 15" gets a speed increase when it gets revised. It's due for a revision next month, and I really can't see Apple keeping it at 1GHz after 6 months.... and it'll be interesting to see if Apple if they do increase the speed of the 15" how long it'll take them to speed bump the 17"!!

My betting is sooner rather than later!!

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It was last MacWorld SanFrancisco or the one before that. There was a rash of people noticing an odd 15" TiBook at the Apple booth half hidden behind a curtain or something. There was even few pictures of it and it had more vents then normal. There were serveral posts about this thing all over the internet right after the MacWorld from all sorts of different people. Some had even bugged the guys at the booth about it and asked questions about it. The one concurrent theme about the answers was that it had double the processing power in it.

11. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

twice as much as what? maybe they meant twice as fast as the first pbg4 ;)

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

At the time there were already rumors of a dual processor powerbook floating around and people were hitting the Apple guys with specific questions about that and the mysterious Tibook. I can't remember the exact responses when asked directly about the Tibook and the possibility of duals but they were not a positive confirmation but they certainly lead you to believe that it was. They would mention things about twice the heat etc..

13. Wren macrumors regular

I think it's more like being able to work on Final Cut Pro and Pro Tools at the same time without compromising speed. Imagine doing that on a portable! :D

14. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

ya see, this is why once someone gets a computer, they should stop reading about new ones. cause i just got my 17" powerbook, and now ya'll talking about dual g4's and I'm going to get buyers remourse. This is exactally why i need to stop going to these fourms. Too much stuff i want right now. And as for the sharp edges... i didn't even know they were there.

15. ELYXR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys... Even though we got off on a tangent with the supposed "Dual G4 Aluminum Powerbooks", I appreciate the people who helped ease my concern...

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

now that you mention it, i do remember something about that... although i don't remember it as being a really big deal. or maybe i just missed out on most of the action.:p :D

17. Wren macrumors regular

Re: 17" - Sharp edge right before the keyboard??

Since you are stilll toying with the idea of getting a 17PB and the sharp edges before the keyboard is "plaguing" you, thought you might want to wait till something better comes along.:)

18. ELYXR thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: 17" - Sharp edge right before the keyboard??

Thanks Wren... I work in an Apple certified reseller and play with our 17" demo almost every day. It's a concern I've had that I think is totally worth asking you and others here about.

After all, this forum isn't just here for sarcastic comments alone... ;)

19. Wren macrumors regular

20. ELYXR thread starter macrumors regular

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Ya know I always wonder why people would be overly joyous one day about there such and such electronic one day and the next totally dismayed by it simply because something knew is out. I mean it hasn't gotten slower. It still does everything that you bought it for. I mean really there is no change except you can't brag about having the absolute best. All you can brag about now is that you have a computer better then %99 of other people on the planet I mean that really isn't much to talk about I guess.:rolleyes:

22. Wren macrumors regular

mgargan1..congratulations on your purchase. The only remorse I have in buying this laptop is that I had to wait for months before I actully got it. Each time I look at this machine, I am amazed at the beauty of the hardware, the screen , ease and portablity in spite of it's size. I mean , can you drag an iMac around? The fears I have heard from the 15 Ti. ( heat, noise , paint chipping ) has been eliminated in this Powerbook. This is one laptop I plan to use for at least 2 or 3 years. Technological advancement is inevitable, but knowing that you've made a wise and sound purchase of owning the first 17PB on the planet should put your mind at rest. Congratulations again!:)

23. gopher macrumors 65816

Oh goodness folks. That probably was just the Powerbook G4/867 Mhz. Definitely double the processing power of the original. Has nothing to do with dual processors.

24. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

Speaking of sharp edges...

Has anyone noticed the sharp edges on the left and right sides of the screen. Apparently, these sharp edges are creating long marks on the bottom of the base (to the left and right of where you place your palms when typing) as people close the scrreen. Read about it on Apple's support discussions page.
    I haven't noticed it on mine, yet, but in order to prevent such a terrible thing happening to my bueat, I using the plastic insert for protection.

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Sorry but the references were not made towards a more powerful processor. I wish I could find the posts related to this subject now.

In any case the Ti667 had just been released and it wasn't until a year later that the Ti867 was released.