17" vs. 20" vs. 24" with pics =)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mulletman13, Sep 18, 2006.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey guys,

Just received my 24" iMac, and because there wasn't a clear 17 vs. 24" pic on the web (the cnet picture was one in front of the other) I figure I'd show you guys the difference here :)

[​IMG]

This second picture shows my 17" Core Duo next to my 20" widescreen BenQ monitor (amazing for the price), next to my 24". Here you can see the difference in screen sizes =)

Also, the 24" is a bit thicker than the 17 is... by about a centimeter or two.

[​IMG]

Well, time to get crackin... transferring, installing and updating =)

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Wow...it really is a gorgeous machine. Makes the 17" look like a doll-sized version. :eek:

3. Patch^ macrumors regular

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

5. kylepro88 macrumors regular

I just got back from the Apple Store and I must say im leaning towards that iMac over the MacPro. Its price is awesome w/education discount and I ran a simple benchmark between the iMac 24in and MacPro and couldn't tell much difference at all. The screen is HUGE and it looks very capable of what I need. MacPro seems a little overkill to me even if I was doing some intense stuff I have no doubt the iMac could handle it. Its a great product no doubt. Actually I talked to a guy that was working there for quite a while and he said the first day they got it they ran a Motion Render simultaneously with a G5 Quad and the iMac 24in beat it by a significant margin. That sold me over, that and the gorgeous screen. I'm willing to sacrifice some performance for that screen lol.

iMac 24in
    2.16ghz
    2Gb RAM
    7600GT
    250GB HD
    Apple Care 3yr Package

Education Discount = $2289 hellz yea!

Thats it im getting it lol.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's pretty crazy... half of me wants one (a 24" iMac) and the other half knows it's pure gluttonous overkill...

I took your pic and raised the 20" up so that the bottom of the screen was level with the other two (it looks like the bottom of the 17" and 24" iMac displays are about the same height above the desk) to help give some perspective on the 20" size.

It helped me get a better feel for it, anyways, maybe it'll help someone else. Pardon the craptastic PS job, I spent about 15 seconds moving the display and about 60 seconds filling in the background. :p

Attached Files:

7. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Thanks for the quick photochop -- that helps MUCH better. I would've done it but I don't have anything installed on here yet :(

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

All well and good, but what about:

* Picture of 24" iMac beside 15" flatscreen iMac (sunflower) :)

* Picture of 24" iMac beside 13.8" (viewable) original iMac :D

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hehe, no problem... when I looked at the pic at first the 20" (at first glance) looked SMALLER than the 17"! :eek: Raising them up to the same level gives a pretty good scale of both massive the 24" is, and also the difference from the 17" to the 20".

10. Grunze macrumors regular

Grunze

11. andywallin macrumors newbie

12. Siderz macrumors 6502a

Was reading this thread (It came up on the top of the iMac page) and thought it was made today (By a collector or something).

Then I read this

THEN I noticed the date, lol. I felt like I went back in time him saying he looked at the 24" in the Apple Store!