17" Westinghouse LCD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sean7512, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

A few of you may have remembered me asking what to do with my $100 that my grandma is giving me for x-mas. I have figured out what it is that I want to buy. Today while using my Gateway laptop at my desk, I realized that it is extremely uncomfortable to type on the keyboard, as it sits up higher and not on the pull out keyboard tray. The screen is also tiny to use at a desk, at only 14". I figured, that I wanted to get a LCD and a USB keyboard. I started looking at LCD prices, and damn, they are expensive (well, compared to what I thought). I came across a 17" Westinghouse LCD screen that is on sale at Best Buy for $100, down from $190. It is instant, no mail-in rebates to worry about. Anyways, this is cheaper than what best buy sells 17" CRTS for, so that is insane. It sold out already online and it just went on sale today, but im gonna run down to Best Buy tomorrow, and hope its there. Here is the link.

A few questions...

1. Is that a relatively good LCD? I have def heard of the brand, so I guess that is a start.

2. It says that the input is DVI-D. My laptop only has a normal VGA port, am I out of luck, or can I CHEAPLY buy a converter or something :confused:

Thanks for all of your help guys......Of course, if I can't do this, at least our family computer is a 24" iMac. It would give me more excuses to use that instead of my laptop :D

2. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

You can't beat that price, specs aren't bad at all.
    Jump on it:D

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

AFAIK you're out of luck. DVI-D is the digital only DVI, so you'd need a VGA to DVI-D analog to digital converter which can cost far more than that monitor.

B

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

They are unreal for the price. I got my 37'' for $1,039 shipped. Granted, they're not going to beat a Sammy, but for getting a great resolution, refresh, and 1080p, you can't beat their price. I have the 37'' Westinghouse LVM-37W3 that I use as my monitor and HDTV, and I love it. It's unreal! Great for gaming (8 ms refresh), text is clear as day for use as a monitor, and it's great for HDTV/DVD watching! Here's my old setup, before I got my Macbook Pro and rearranged my whole setup with Xbox 360, and bunch of other stuff:

Attached Files:

6. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My grandma actually just got a 42" Westinghouse LCD 720p for under a thousand on black friday. It appears to be excellent quality, but I only saw it a few times, but it looked great.

NOOOOO!!! That really sucks! Anyone know of other cheap LCD options?

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

if you can afford to pay about $70 then you could buy this 19" LCD.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm extremely pleased with my widescreen 17 inch Westinghouse LCD, though it may be a bit bright for some people.

9. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I picked up a couple of the widescreen models that Best Buy clearanced a few weeks ago also. I upgraded my desktop from a CRT and the other one is for a hookup for my Macbook. Like the other post, it is a little bright but it's adjustable. Looking at Westinghouse's website, the model your looking at also has a VGA in so you can hook your laptop up to it via VGA.

10. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

great i am using one as a second monitor.... HDTV baby.

11. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where do you see VGA in at? Under Connectors (from westinghouse website), it says:

"1 D-Sub mini 15 pin
    1 DVI-D
    1 AC-in
    1 Stereo mini jack"

It does say under "Compatible Modes" :

"PC VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA"

Does that mean, that I am able to use this monitor?? I have no idea.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

D-sub mini 15 pin is VGA.

13. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Well, what are you sitting here online for?

I figured by now you would be showing us some pictures of it already...

Have you checked to see if your local store has any in stock. Youcan buy online and pick up at your local store.

14. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

HAHAHAHA...I just woke up at noon. They said that they have plenty in stock when I called about 10 min ago. Once I get ready, I gotta pick up the g/f and I'm heading over. I'll be sure to post pictures :D Thanks everyone!

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

^^^ thanks for the replies, my family was thinking of getting an LCD HDTV for the den and i never heard of that brand before

16. ready2switch macrumors 6502

We have the Westinghouse 47" 1080p and it is beautiful. To quote my husband "it's like watching TV for the first time". :D

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Westinghouse is one of the oldest brands of electrical equipment in the U.S.A. but was always a distant second to GE. It was consumed by Philips of Holland years ago, along with Sylvania and Magnavox.

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

HAHAHA

OOOOO

I want an HDTV but its pointless because i want a nice size like 37+ (small room) but in order to do that we would have to remodel the den and my mom doesn't want to spend the energy... so the spot that could fit would only fit maybe like somewhere around 20"s which seems pointless to me

19. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

i was gonna go get one now, but all my local stores are sold out:mad:

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm using a 37 inch as my only t.v. and you have to remember that most don't have 1080i or 1080p resolution, though some like mine take 1080i as input.

There are a number of 26 inch and 32 inch widescreen models at reasonable cost now. ShopNBC sells bundles (26 & 32, 32 & 37 inch) of them. It might be a way to get a starter model.

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

whats the difference between 1080i and 1080p :confused:
    is their a place to read up on all of this stuff as i'm the only one in my family with a clue of what this all means :p

yea- prices aren't that bad now especially if you do some shopping around. I'm tempted to get a 20" for my dorm - but too bad we don't get HDTV

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There are two recent threads on this subject in these forums, one started by Doctor Q, that could help your search, and they have a lot of information and a lot of links to more.

23. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well....Best Buy lied to me, and they were sold out of that monitor. They said that they thought they had them, but in reality they sold out in the first 15 min of the store opening. Anyways, I did manage to snag a Envision 17" LCD at Comp USA for $119, so that was good. Everything seems to work fine, but I noticed that pins #4 and #11 are missing from the included VGA cable. According to this site, they are "ID bit" pins (I'm using this on a windows laptop, not our mac). I am not sure what that means. Anyways, is it safe to keep the monitor if it is working correctly or should I take it back because of the pins? I'm hoping to keep it, as it was the last monitor there, but I will take it back and wait for the next shipment if I have to. What do you guys think?

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Missing pins are not a problem. You probably only lose communication back from the display to the PC to tell it what resolutions are valid.

EDIT: In fact, The Wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector claims these are N/C pins, i.e. do not connect.

B

25. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

All the Westinghouse monitors I've seen at Best Buy and Target have both DVI and VGA.

Friends of mine just bought the HD monitor 27". They are happy with it. The reviews have been good.

Seems like Westinghouse wants to get into the business and are serious about it.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com