Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today announced Paper, a news creation and curation tool that ties into a user's Facebook account. The app is the first product to come out of Facebook Creative Labs, a division within Facebook made of small teams who are dedicated to startup-style projects.

Paper-Facebook-P2.jpeg
Paper is split into a news reader that pulls its content from both a user's Facebook News Feed and from well-known online publications, featuring a magazine-style layout with sections that range from technology news to animals. Facebook will also reportedly assign a team of editors to curate the best and most popular online content for users, and a composition tool that allows users to create their own status updates rich with media will be available as well.

Speaking to Re/code, Mike Matas, product design lead for Paper, explained why the company moved beyond a visual newsreader like Flipboard [Direct Link] and created both a news reading and creating tool.
"As you start changing the way you're displaying this content, we hope that it will change the way people think about posting content," Michael Matas, Paper's product design lead, said in an interview. "Because the two are obviously really connected."

But just as important, as Matas explains it, "It's no fun to make a bunch of great stuff if no one ever sees it."
Paper by Facebook will be available from the iOS App Store in the US starting February 3rd, with international availability to be determined. A visual walkthrough of the app is available on Facebook's website.

Article Link: Facebook Unveils News Creation and Curation App 'Paper'

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Gorgeous. For many peoples' use cases, though, it's essentially a retooled Twitter stream.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
And of course, only available state side. What do you folks have against Canadians? We're nice...

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Another data mining app

Just another gimmick to diminish individual privacy. Move on.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Why would they give the app the same name as an existing and very successful app? Seems daft to me.

They'll write a strongly worded letter to the Internets! Right before Facebook sues THEM to change THEIR name.

You'd think Apple would police App Names... But I guess the App isn't RELEASED yet. If its using pretty page layouts, why not call it "Pages".. That's what they are, not "Paper".

Last edited:

TonikGR

Contributor
Oct 29, 2013
UK
This looks quite cool, look forward to trying it out when it comes to the European markets.

With regards to the name...(I know this is not exactly the same case) but perhaps they will do something along the lines of the Facebook Page Manger App that appears as Pages• (same name as the iWork app) on the phone itself.

Or it may have a little tag line 'by Facebook' or something to avoid confusion.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
FB's highly-produced video failed to show how advertisements will be injected into your Paper stream.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I think it actually looks pretty cool. Though I'm quite perplexed by the name as there is a well known app called Paper that already exists.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
im not seeing how its so different from flipboard. i use neither twitter or facebook so i have no idea how their feeds appear in flipboard but to me seemed rather flipboard like and modernized with the way video and high res pics are displayed.

matas is a smart cookie and former apple employee although much of his work is not so visible anymore

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
The thing is, I no longer get any meaningful news from Facebook. My newsfeed is full of useless and crappy like magnets. They need to fix this first, or the fact that many people like me have started weaning ourselves from regular Facebook usage, before they start even considering an app of this nature.

The only redeeming feature of this app is the curated content. But even that remains to be seen.

And btw, Facebook, the name "Paper" is already taken.

Here's a good video of the problem with Facebook: http://youtu.be/l9ZqXlHl65g

Last edited:

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Yeah, even Facebook realizes the social media content universe is fragmenting. Too bad FB has rightfully lost the trust of its users. If FB can make this gain traction I will be surprised. Smaller, focused mobile based sharing apps run by people who respect their users is the future...this only confirms that.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
What is the deal w tiles lately. To me it takes more time to get what you want using them.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Two words: Justin Bieber

Now now, that little dimwit is an unarguable blight on the country and cannot be used to class all Canadians. I can think of a NUMBER of examples from down south that I wont mention. However, I choose to believe the vast majority of Americans are quite wonderful. :p

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Welcome to FB Home 2.0

----------

Now now, that little dimwit is an unarguable blight on the country and cannot be used to class all Canadians. I can think of a NUMBER of examples from down south that I wont mention. However, I choose to believe the vast majority of Americans are quite wonderful. :p

Lmao. Point taken. :p

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Why would they give the app the same name as an existing and very successful app? Seems daft to me.

correct me if i'm wrong but the app store will not allow duplicate names. therefore the app must be called 'Facebook paper' or something along those lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.