Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google and LG are working on a smart watch that will likely be unveiled at the Google I/O developer conference in June, reports CNET. Google will reveal details on the device's operating system in advance of the hardware announcement, giving developers time to create apps for the device's retail launch.

google_lg_logo-800x171.jpg
Google's smart watch endeavor will mirror its Nexus line of mobile devices, with Google providing the software and a manufacturer partner designing the hardware. Google is said to be working with LG on the smart watch, continuing a partnership established with the development of the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. Similar to their work on the Nexus devices, Google will lead the marketing and sale of the smart watch, while LG will focus on developing the hardware.

Google's smart watch will be powered by a version of Android that will integrate the company's Google Now voice assistant and search feature. The Wall Street Journal also adds that Google's smart watch will be compatible with a variety of Android devices, setting it apart from other smart watches such as the Samsung Galaxy Gear and Gear 2.

Apple is rumored to be working on its own iWatch smart watch that could debut later this year. Recent reports suggest the device may include advanced sensors to track several health-related functions, such as blood glucose and hydration levels. Other rumors also suggest that Apple is developing Healthbook, an iOS 8 app that would utilize both the iPhone and iWatch for monitoring health statistics like weight, heart rate, calories and step counts.

Article Link: Google and LG Working on Android Smart Watch Set for June Reveal

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
It would be funny if Apple weren't even working on a SmartWatch and Google, Samsung, Pebble and the rest were all gambling on the wrong competitor....

None of these companies care about making something great. They just feel the need to make something that Apple is going to make.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I know this isn't really adding much to the discussion, but as I keep reading these news articles about Samsung, Google, Apple, etc. releasing smart watches, I keep thinking "... but I don't want one of those."

I guess I'll have to wait and see, but this is one product category that really isn't appealing to me. It'll be the first Apple product where I've said "hmm, don't really care".

----------

It would be funny if Apple weren't even working on a SmartWatch and Google, Samsung, Pebble and the rest were all gambling on the wrong competitor....

None of these companies care about making something great. They just feel the need to make something that Apple is going to make.

I would argue that of all the released/proposed smart watches, Pebble makes the most interesting one. And, being first to market, they have a head start, a growing collection of supported apps, etc.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010

Pebble is actually very good. I seen lots of people using it and it generally received lots of good praise from users and reviewers.

Why would you think anyone making smart watch are trying to gambling with Apple? So you think just because there is rumour that Apple is making smart watch so everyone just rushing into the market? This does not make any business sense.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

Apple wasn't the first to pioneer the smart watch, so to think they are all building these watches in response is ignorant (besides for samsung, who released a half baked product in order to beat apple to the market).

If there is a smart watch that will have the ability to compete, it is a nexus like line. Price and features may favor it.

I am anxious to see both. I own a nexus 5 and iphone 5s...so I'll look into the best product...if I can get myself to be interested in a smart watch at all.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I hope Apple is working on something other than a Gear type device. I just don't see the market for that outside of tech geeks.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Pebble is actually very good. I seen lots of people using it and it generally received lots of good praise from users and reviewers.

Why would you think anyone making smart watch are trying to gambling with Apple? So you think just because there is rumour that Apple is making smart watch so everyone just rushing into the market? This does not make any business sense.

I haven't seen a single person using one and if I walked into a meeting wearing one I would be ridiculed for the first 5 minutes of the meeting and then never hear the end of it.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I bet this article is in response to this

My issue is that they only target Samsung rumors. I have a Note 3 and have been following Android for years. This is just a fraction of the Android news. LG announced 2 phones last week and just yesterday Lenovo said that they will announce a tablet on Monday. During mobile congress this week we could see maybe 10 other smart watches from other Android OEM'S yet Macrumors only cherry pick Samsung.
And I rarely see any Windows Phones on Macrumors. I bet over 90% of you guys didn't even know that Nokia just released the Nokia Icon on Verizon. Most of you are only Apple lovers but I'm a gadget lover. Sucks to see news being targeted for click responses. Stick with Apple rumors or become a site like Engadget.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I haven't seen a single person using one and if I walked into a meeting wearing one I would be ridiculed for the first 5 minutes of the meeting and then never hear the end of it.

I have seen several person using Pebble including an employee from Apple Store. Go figure. Just because you haven't seen a single person using one, does not mean no body using one.

----------

won't be as good as the iwatch. it will be released before it though!

How do you know it won't be as good as iWatch, even if is not available yet? Or you just thinking iWatch will be the best?

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
I know this isn't really adding much to the discussion, but as I keep reading these news articles about Samsung, Google, Apple, etc. releasing smart watches, I keep thinking "... but I don't want one of those."

I guess I'll have to wait and see, but this is one product category that really isn't appealing to me. It'll be the first Apple product where I've said "hmm, don't really care".

I'm hoping that's exactly why Apple seems to be taking so long. So far, all I've seen in this category is completely uninteresting to me - merely an extension of the phone that you have to carry in order for the watch to work to its full potential. I'm not really interested in spending $300 on that. I'm not interested in spending $50 for that. Give me something that can stand on its own and be useful, integrating watch functions, as well as some fitness/biometrics and I'm getting a little interested. Adding functionality when your phone is in range is a bonus, but it isn't something I'm going to run out and buy a new watch for. Give me a reason to stop wearing the watch I already have (and like).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Now this will be an interesting device, if it follows the Nexus mantra then it will be a high class feature packed device for silly money.

So true. If it follows the nexus line it will be a great device.

I have seen several person using Pebble including an employee from Apple Store. Go figure. Just because you haven't seen a single person using one, does not mean no body using one.

----------

I actually like the pebble paired with my iphone better than paired with my nexus. Not to mention it has 2.0

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

You think Pebble was "encouraged" by Apple rumors of a smartwatch? Wow.

I bought one. I didn't think I would ever want or need a smart watch. Or even a watch as I rarely wear one. But through a "double" sale- I got a Pebble for about $90 so I impulse bought one.

Now that I have one- I love it. Why? Because at work I often have my phone at my desk - but now when I walk away - I get alerts to emails or if someone is calling me (I keep my ringer off.) At home - I have a toddler and when she's asleep - again - my phone is on mute. Further - I have almost never heard my phone or many times felt the vibration - but I can easily feel my wrist vibrate when a call comes in - and I can see who's calling without looking at the phone. To me - that was $90 well spent even without any other benefits.

I like the Pebble - it might not be complex or have a "screen of the future" - but it's the exact functionality I would want or need without being complicated or having too much thrown in just to be cool. THAT is why I believe it's successful.

While there may be an audience for the Dick Tracy watch of the "future" - I think most prefer simplicity over a ton of functions. Because - at the end of the day - most things you want to see or do are better on a larger screen.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm hoping that's exactly why Apple seems to be taking so long. So far, all I've seen in this category is completely uninteresting to me - merely an extension of the phone that you have to carry in order for the watch to work to its full potential. I'm not really interested in spending $300 on that. I'm not interested in spending $50 for that. Give me something that can stand on its own and be useful, integrating watch functions, as well as some fitness/biometrics and I'm getting a little interested. Adding functionality when your phone is in range is a bonus, but it isn't something I'm going to run out and buy a new watch for. Give me a reason to stop wearing the watch I already have (and like).

It really would be nice to combine a smartwatch and these fitness bands into one. I could actually leave my phone at home and go for a run, but still have some features with me.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
How do you know it won't be as good as iWatch, even if is not available yet? Or you just thinking iWatch will be the best?

Things I've learned from reading this thread:

1. Apple was first. Just because they haven't even officially confirmed they are working on a smart watch, let alone announced a release date, doesn't mean we don't all know it's true. All these other guys, they're just copying Apple. As always.

2. It doesn't even matter, because Apple's will be the best. The competition might as well just give up now.

Last edited:

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I hope Apple is working on something other than a Gear type device. I just don't see the market for that outside of tech geeks.

I would get a Galaxy Gear if 1: it is not only work with Samsung phone 2: the price is not $200, 3: at least with 1 week of battery life.

I am willing to spend $100 for it if Gear actually working with My Nexus 4. Gear 2 seems interesting to me with all health related stuff.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
It really would be nice to combine a smartwatch and these fitness bands into one. I could actually leave my phone at home and go for a run, but still have some features with me.

I agree. My only concern is music. I like having that when I run and I'm not sure you can build a watch that tells time, does fitness functions and can store a decent amount of music. I guess a streaming app is the best potential. But some of the fitness apps already burn battery so fast, I don't like to stream and use them at the same time.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
All the fanboys who say they won't want an iWatch is kidding themselves. As soon as you see the "Apple" brand on a watch you'll be lining up at your local apple store like every other product.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I agree. My only concern is music. I like having that when I run and I'm not sure you can build a watch that tells time, does fitness functions and can store a decent amount of music. I guess a streaming app is the best potential. But some of the fitness apps already burn battery so fast, I don't like to stream and use them at the same time.

Unless it can someone access the cloud, but like you said it would hit the battery hard

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Things I've learned from reading this thread:

1. Apple was first. Just because they havn't even officially confirmed they are working on a smart watch, let alone announced a release date, doesn't mean we all know it's true. All these other guys, they're just copying Apple. As always.

2. It doesn't even matter, because Apple's will be the best. The competition might as well just give up now.

WOW... Your blind loyal to Apple truly amazed me. I could only imagine myself a fraction loyal to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.