Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The FCC today launched a new ad-free FCC Speed Test app for iOS devices, designed to measure mobile broadband performance. The app is an expansion of the Measuring Broadband America program, which aims to measure both fixed and mobile broadband to "bring greater clarity and competition to the broadband service marketplace."

Like other mobile speed testing apps, the FCC's app analyzes mobile broadband performance (both Wi-Fi and cellular) and displays a breakdown of download and upload speed, latency, and packet loss. It also keeps a historical record of mobile speeds for comparison of performance over time.

fccspeedtest.jpg
The FCC is using data collected from the app to build an aggregated map of mobile broadband performance across the country, but it does not collect personally identifying information aside from carrier, country code, and GPS location.
Privacy is paramount. The FCC has taken significant measures to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of volunteers for this program. Using privacy measures developed and reviewed by a diverse team of privacy experts, any data that could potentially identify specific smartphones is analyzed and processed to ensure privacy protection.
The FCC previously launched an FCC Speed Test app for Android back in November and has published multiple reports on broadband performance as part of Measuring Broadband America.

FCC Speed Test can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: FCC Launches 'FCC Speed Test' iPhone App to Measure Mobile Broadband Performance

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I wonder what sort of Easter Eggs the NSA has hidden in this little gem...

and I wonder why Vodafone is the example used on a U.S. government app :/

I noticed that too. Vodafone UK 3G, yet the tests are for New York? Something is clearly not right here. I mean 3G? Really?

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Yes, of all the speed benchmarking apps out there, let's use the one that openly transmits data to the Federal government. What a good idea.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
Am I alone in thinking this app already existed?

Nope.

I had this app for years.

I only just recently deleted it because they turned off the servers the old version tested against.

This one is just an updated version of the older one. Not a new thing at all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, of all the speed benchmarking apps out there, let's use the one that openly transmits data to the Federal government. What a good idea.
The horror of the federal government knowing your internet speeds. You know, the same federal government that issued your social security number, and has your tax returns with your employment information and income, investment, and banking information. Yeah, we definitely need to worry about the federal government knowing about internet speeds.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004

Actually, it's a brilliant idea. Net neutrality is super important. Unless you work for Verizon...

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
This app sucks as an app and I don't think it's right. It was telling me I was getting 1.91 download so I tried speedtest and it told me I was getting 2.78 and that's what it shoul be I'm always right around 2.80 download.

Dear Google
I really really could use google fiber so I can stop crying myself to sleep every night.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Why is the FCC collecting Wifi performance data? That data is meaningless since performance of routers vary so widely and has nothing to do with anything.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
Why is the FCC collecting Wifi performance data? That data is meaningless since performance of routers vary so widely and has nothing to do with anything.

Maybe because very few broadband providers offer speeds faster than even the oldest lamest wifi routers?

Even plain old 802.11b on a $20 router is faster than most broadband plans...

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

Because if they didn't, wifi results would get mixed in with mobile results?

If they got enough data, the wifi results may be informing somehow to someone?

I really don't know, I'm just grasping at straws.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Any ideas why the FCC app shows my wifi speeds @ 10-15 MBPS slower than Speedtest?

Because Speedtest increases results for those with ISPs that pay them. They want to make you're results look better.

Source: Worked for Time Warner and Comcast and know how things were setup very well.

----------

Maybe because very few broadband providers offer speeds faster than even the oldest lamest wifi routers?

Even plain old 802.11b on a $20 router is faster than most broadband plans...

Wat? :confused: 802.11b has a theoretical max of 11 Mbps. You'll never get that speed with it because you have to factor in a million different things like TCP/IP overhead, signal quality/interference, and much more. The standard speed offered by Comcast is 25Mbps and Time Warner is 15Mbps. And those are just the very basic speeds you get with the cheap package. They offer speeds over 100Mbps which even 802.11n will struggle with unless configured correctly (NAT and DHCP can cause issues with getting optimal speeds, among other changes).

So no, most ISPs do not struggle to supply speeds faster than what most wifi can support. Maybe 5+ years ago. :rolleyes:

mrjr101

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
The horror of the federal government knowing your internet speeds. You know, the same federal government that issued your social security number, and has your tax returns with your employment information and income, investment, and banking information. Yeah, we definitely need to worry about the federal government knowing about internet speeds.

and don't you think the SSN, taxes, banking, and your entire life is MORE THAN ENOUGH?? Yea while you're at it, give them the websites that you visit too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.