Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is hiring engineers and supply chain managers for its operations in Asia as its seeks to expand and quicken the production of new and existing products, reports the Wall Street Journal. These new teams will work out of the company's main Asian campus in Shanghai, China and its office in Taipei, Taiwan.

foxconn_ipad_polishing.jpg
The report states that the company is hiring engineers away from HTC, Inventec and other Taiwanese tech firms to build an engineering team in Taipei. These new hires will quicken the pace of production by working closely with Apple's Asian suppliers on hardware components for the iPhone and iPad. They also will oversee software quality assurance.
Apple has added several hundred new engineers and operations staff in China over the past two years, with a blitz of hiring that began in mid-2013, people familiar with the matter said. The total number of engineers and operations staff in China now exceeds 600, they said.
Apple also is adding supply chain managers to its Asian staff in response to ongoing criticism of working conditions in select supplier factories.

Apple's new operations in Asia may help combat supply constraints that have plagued recent product launches. The company admitted during its Q1 2013 earnings conference call that production issues limited the supply of the iMac during the holiday shopping season. More recently, Apple warned of low Retina iPad mini inventory prior to the tablet's launch in late 2013.

Article Link: Apple Hiring Engineers and Supply Chain Managers in Asia to Speed Up Production

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
It's stories like this that make me think that the "manufactured media hype by creating deliberate supply shortages" comments are absolute nonsense.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Apple as a whole is expanding and producing more iPads and iPhones every year so it's just normal they hire more and more staff.

That's a bit stating the obvious. Demand is going up as well, so I wouldn't automatically deduce supply constraints will speed up because of it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I've never noticed this before, but why are the ladies in the photo wearing a jacket with so many layers? Do they not heat the factories or is that some kind of protection? Weird.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I've never noticed this before, but why are the ladies in the photo wearing a jacket with so many layers? Do they not heat the factories or is that some kind of protection? Weird.

probably has something to do with making apple products.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
You know what would speed up production???

Not requiring a step during production where some human has to sit there with an exact-o-knife carving out the Apple logo from the back of an iPad case.

Seriously, Apple, take some of your hundreds of billions in revenue and invest in automation techniques to build your products without the massive human rights violations.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

It's not a clean room like where they make the actual circuit boards, but I bet there is pretty strict rules to keep the amount of dust and dirt at a minimum in the manufacturing area. They always where gloves, I guess to keep human oils off the products. Also, to keep things from overheating, I bet they at least keep it cool in there. So I'm guessing you put on clothes at the manufacturing plant that you don't take home with you and you want to be comfortable in that second layer (hence another reason to keep it cool in there).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Not requiring a step during production where some human has to sit there with an exact-o-knife carving out the Apple logo from the back of an iPad case.

Seriously, Apple, take some of your hundreds of billions in revenue and invest in automation techniques to build your products without the massive human rights violations.

Exactly. Doesn't matter if people lose their jobs. Or if it costs more money than is going to be saved.

----------

somewhat OT, but can't decide what is worse

lots of underpaid overworked employees -or- fully automated plants and people without jobs

Salaries in all the places working for Apple have gone up a lot in the last years. You know, it's not only salaries that are lower in China. It's the cost of living as well. Overtime has been reduced year over year.

However, the first ever report that I can remember about working conditions in Apple-related Chinese factories said that the biggest number of complaints were about overtime. Turned out people didn't complain about having to work overtime. They complained that there wasn't always as much overtime work available as they wanted.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008

Lol. I'm pretty sure she isn't carving a logo into an aluminum shell with x-acto knife. :rolleyes:

ChrisNH

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
southern New Hampshire
Are they going to compress the yearly refresh?

It seems paradoxical if they do this, while sticking with the annual refresh of the iPhone. If you're going to 'quicken' the product introduction cycle, you're going to have to come out with iPhone 6 some time sooner than September.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
It seems paradoxical if they do this, while sticking with the annual refresh of the iPhone. If you're going to 'quicken' the product introduction cycle, you're going to have to come out with iPhone 6 some time sooner than September.

I think you're reading too much into this.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I don't get it - muti billion dollar company still have people with people with simple tools to build products. You would have thought robots would be doing it by now and being a lot quicker than a human could ever be! I read somewhere that more people work directly and indirectly to apple than there are people In Ireland!

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
I don't get it - muti billion dollar company still have people with people with simple tools to build products. You would have thought robots would be doing it by now and being a lot quicker than a human could ever be! I read somewhere that more people work directly and indirectly to apple than there are people In Ireland!

You would have thought .... but there are a couple problems that come to mind.

(1) Incredibly high capital costs simply make it economically infeasible.
(2) Automation isn't nearly as flexible as as human input. Which isn't a problem if you are making one and only one product. But if your machines aren't flexible enough to change production processes, then it doesn't make sense to use them. Whether or not there are such constraints I'm not sure.

Finally, considering Apple is the most valuable company in the world, and that the number of people in Ireland relative to the world is quite small, that's not terribly surprising.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

I'm a business school professor and a couple of year's ago I went with a group of faculty from around the country to visit businesses and factories in China.

In places like Shang Hai and Guang Zhou where a lot of manufacturing takes place, there typically is no heating. Not just in factories, but in general.

If you go further north, like Bei Jing everyone has central heat but not in the more southern cities and especially places that are near the coast.

It seemed to me like it would be hard to make stuff with cold hands, but that's just the way they do it.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Nope

united state need jobs , apple please bring all jobs back to our country , :D

Why on Earth would the average minimum-wage earning American decide to work grueling hours on a factory line making $26,000 annually, when the lazy half of our great nation can now make roughly $50,000 sitting at home on their butts doing nothing and collecting welfare? Scary isin't it? Keep voting for those liberals America.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
It's stories like this that make me think that the "manufactured media hype by creating deliberate supply shortages" comments are absolute nonsense.

They are 100% true. They market a product to be exclusive and hard to come by. Its a great marketing strategy.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Why on Earth would the average minimum-wage earning American decide to work grueling hours on a factory line making $26,000 annually, ... etc

Why not? New airline pilots usually make much less than that, and they required a heckuva lot more training and hours of experience than someone on an assembly line.

Perhaps it's because of ventilation fans.

If you recall, twice in 2011 Foxconn factory workshops that polish / finish iPad cases exploded because of a buildup of aluminum dust, causing a couple of deaths, many serious injuries, and of course a slowdown in production.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Why on Earth would the average minimum-wage earning American decide to work grueling hours on a factory line making $26,000 annually, when the lazy half of our great nation can now make roughly $50,000 sitting at home on their butts doing nothing and collecting welfare? Scary isin't it? Keep voting for those liberals America.

Since you brought it up, in all my years working at a behavioral health facility I've never met a person on welfare that made much more than about 10k. And all of them would, and did, get off welfare as soon as they could.

You are misinformed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.