Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 7.1, released this morning, includes several notable features, like support for CarPlay, a fix that improves the reliability of Touch ID, and a fix for a bug that caused crashes to the home screen.

Along with those major enhancements, the update also offers a slew of minor visual tweaks and improvements to the operating system, such as refined icons for the Phone, FaceTime, and Messages apps, along with revamped shift and caps locks keys and a new look for elements of the Phone app.

YouTube channel iTwe4kz has posted a handy overview of the new update, which shows off all of the new features that iOS 7.1 has to offer. The video has a detailed walkthrough of all the visual changes and enhancements, which is well worth watching for users who want a quick guide on what's new.

The full set of changes to the operating system were detailed in our initial post on iOS 7.1, which has a list of release notes directly from Apple and information on other app updates that were released today, including Xcode 5.1 and Remote.

As noted in the video, iOS 7.1 officially disables the iOS 7 evasi0n jailbreak by patching a key kernel exploit. iOS 7.1 is now available for all users via an over-the-air-update.

Update: The video was shot using an iOS 7.1 beta rather than the final public version, and also incorrectly depicts a change to the Photos app icon. The icon has not changed in iOS 7.1.

Article Link: Video Walkthrough of iOS 7.1 Visual Tweaks and Improvements

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What is it with people trying to show that the Photos app icon changed practically in every update when that hasn't actually happened in any update at all. They all end up using some concept icon that someone developed at some point to show the difference when no actual changes have been made.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
The Photo app icon is not changed as it is shown in the video! It's the same as before.

pepinillo2012

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Disabling Parallax won't completely disable it. The background won't move but the icons will. Anyone else with this problem?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What a poor explanation of Darken Colors setting in Accessibility--didn't even explain what it actually does (darken the link/button text colors) and implied it does something it doesn't do at all (darken all colors in general, like on the home page, etc.).

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
The Photo app icon is not changed as it is shown in the video! It's the same as before.

that image (seen at 1:21 in the vid) is the same one that somebody here keeps posting and clamoring about how it "should" be designed....i think including that in the video must be some kind of joke referencing that...

Last edited:

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I really don't like any of the GUI changes except the darker green icons.

Why make the call and call end icon smaller? Why is caps button so confusing now? Why change the shut down screen? (Personally i liked the old one better)

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looks like it's not even the final iOS 7.1 version being used in the video, but a beta (likely the last beta 5) since the CarPlay icon and wording in Restrictions that are in the final iOS 7.1 aren't there in this one and instead it has a different Car Display icon and text that was there in the beta(s).

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Is this changed photo icon supposed to be some sort of running gag? I see it pointed out in every single iOS 7 news, but I think it was just some fan contribution.

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Anyone else pickup on the fact that he was posting this from the past?? If iOS was released this morning, 3/10, then how is his iPhone showing 3/7? Beta release review, or just manually set?

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Music Player

The music player is still so bad, no wonder people are migrating to streaming services.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
What a poor explanation of Darken Colors setting in Accessibility--didn't even explain what it actually does (darken the link/button text colors) and implied it does something it doesn't do at all (darken all colors in general, like on the home page, etc.).

Thank you for making that clear.

I actually took a 'before and after' screenshot of my home screen to see if I could notice any difference - now I know why I couldn't.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
not the release build in video

he's on a beta build...my 7.1 doesnt say "Car Display" in restrictions, it says "CarPlay". icon also different. and he says "So when Car Display is official released..." which it already was, as CarPlay.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
That new cancel button on the slide to power off, and the hangup button on phone calls is FAR too small and looks completely stupid.

Why make it harder to press? It's not like they're using the screen around it for something else!

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
Behold... iOS is now customizable. LOL. That was a joke. Android FTW. Apple is too slow and the changes so minor.

Bigsargewaymo7

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Florida
Totally not Worth Upgrading

Yeahhhh, nooo! This was kind of a let down software release so I do believe I will be keeping my Jailbreak and staying on iOS 7.0.6 until iOS 8 which I don't think will be that amazing. I think Apple likes to do major software changes every other year as in iOS 5 was kick ass, iOS 6 was a minor tweak of iOS 5, and iOS 7 was a major change so I am thinking I will be on 7.0.6 for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.