Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

France's Opéra de Lyon is set to begin performing a multimedia opera that combines the history of former Apple CEO Steve Jobs with the story of Shakespeare's 1599 play Henry V.

Written by German composer Roland Auzet, "Steve Five (King Different)" pulls its content from Walter Isaacson's best-selling Steve Jobs biography and explores the parallels between two kings - one from Silicon Valley and the other from England - who confronted reality through invention.

Via Google Translate:
The book is composed of two biographies, two routes, close and yet separated by five centuries: two words, two ways to confront reality by inventing. Steve Jobs painted what Shakespeare called "the brightest heaven of invention" and the fate of Silicon Valley faces the epic Henry V.
The opera, which includes includes rap and classical orchestra, spoken and sung opera, and poetry, will be performed for the first time on Friday, March 14 at the Théâtre de la Renaissance in Lyon, France. It will also have three subsequent showings on March 15, 17, and 18.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Opera Based on Shakespeare's 'Henry V' to Open in France

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
And gentlemen in Redmond now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon January 24th!

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Okay, NOW we're going a bit overboard. What's next a national holiday? His face on our money (God knows his company has taken most of mine over the years) ?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's official: MacRumors was hacked and the writers were overridden by nonsense generators! :eek:

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Am I the only one that could care less about steve jobs movies/operas/comic books/etc? I like the products, I don't worship the guy or particularly care about his (ex) private life.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Am I the only one that could care less about steve jobs movies/operas/comic books/etc? I like the products, I don't worship the guy or particularly care about his (ex) private life.
Could you also NOT care less?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Yeesh, this global Steve obsession is going beyond creepy.

No joke. A great visionary and he deserves heaps of credit for helping bring computing to the mainstream, but the cult-like following he has is a bit much.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
It seems to me people think apple now a religious movment and Steve Jobs is some sort of God - this is why Apple Fans get bad press :(

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No joke. A great visionary and he deserves heaps of credit for helping bring computing to the mainstream, but the cult-like following he has is a bit much.

If you say so, but it can't compare to the cult-like following for Henry V. The most famous playwright of the English language did write a play about him, after all.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
If it works in France, I wonder if they will bring it to the US. I like the comparison and would love to see what they do with it.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Nope, I don't see it happening.

Now if I got adopted into the Jobs estate, I could. Otherwise I am just a customer they could care less about and not a family member.

Are you really sure you could NOT care less about this.. Apple maybe could NOT care less about you.. can you see where we are going...

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
I like opera. And this whole thing makes me want to cry :'(

Anyway, apparently it takes place when Steve Jobs was taken back to USA when his health condition worsened. And he sees Henri V during a delirium or something like that.
It's also only slightly inspired from his real life, most of it is totally made up from what I read.
I'm going for the "they chose SJ for the marketing".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.