Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last night on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, Billy Joel joined the talk show host in a doo-wop video so entertaining that it was singled out by Tim Cook on Twitter.
Check this out. @jimmyfallon and @billyjoel with iPad and a cool app called Loopy HD. Magical. http://t.co/dWlZr6Lsm6 - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) March 21, 2014
The featured iPad app is Loopy HD [Direct Link], which allows you to create music by layering loops that you record yourself. Fallon and Joel sang The Lion Sleeps Tonight, a song made popular in the 1960s by doo-wop group The Tokens. The pair sang different parts of the song in an amusing exchange that features a solo by Fallon and the always powerful vocals of Joel.

This isn't the first time the musical aspect of the iPad has taken center stage on Fallon's talk shows. In a 2010 Late Night With Jimmy Fallon episode that aired shortly after the original iPad was launched, Fallon invited English New Wave band Squeeze to the stage, with keyboardist Stephen Large splitting his performance between a Roland VK-8 and an iPad.

Article Link: Tim Cook Highlights 'Magical' iPad Doo-Wop Duet Between Billy Joel and Jimmy Fallon

SethBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Apple has this while Samsung has to pay for celebrities to use their products rather unwillingly…

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
As I read the title, I started doubting my sanity and whether or not I was dreaming.

TonikGR

Contributor
Oct 29, 2013
UK
Agree, this makes for a more powerful way of raising awareness and promoting a product. Have it used by people. The way they sing the song is also pretty awesome :)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
In essence I think that this was Steve’s big passion for Apple products.

Something that is so simple that you can essentially pick it up and create a really intimate and engaging moment without any complexities.

Great video!

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
After being instructed to cover up the Apple logo on his laptop, I'm surprised he wasn't told to say 'tablet device' instead of iPad :rolleyes:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I wonder if Fallon is endorse by Apple, he's been using macbook since late night.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
If i was one of the developers of this app, i'd still be bouncing thru the streets.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Love him or hate him, you have to admit that Jimmy Fallon genuinely looks like he's having the time of his life what ever he does on his show.

I caught myself smiling big during this little clip. That's awesome.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Sweeeeeeet!!! Fallon is actually turning out to be a better host than I anticipated. Really enjoyed the clip.

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
That was awesome. I also found myself smiling and actually singing along by the end.

And it may just have sold me on the app (for my kids, of course...)

As was said above, this is the difference between iOS and Android - the iOS interface just gets out of the way and allows the magic to happen.

please22

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
The great part? More ppl will see this and actually enjoy it than the crappy Samsung ad attacking apple. Try some positive marketing next time.

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
Love him or hate him, you have to admit that Jimmy Fallon genuinely looks like he's having the time of his life what ever he does on his show.

I caught myself smiling big during this little clip. That's awesome.

thats very true. and celebrity guest that give compliments about Fallon say the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.