Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in January, Google began testing integration of its Google Now personal assistant service with its Chrome browser for the desktop. The feature, which allows users to receive notifications for such topics as weather, traffic, and events and can tap into device location, first appeared in the experimental Chrome Canary builds and gradually worked its way through Chrome's testing phases, and Google today has announced that it is beginning to officially go live for all users.
Starting today and rolling out over the next few weeks, Google Now notifications will be available to Chrome users on their desktop or laptop computers. To enable this feature, simply sign in to Chrome with the same Google Account you're using for Google Now on Android or iOS.
google-now-chrome-mac-menu-bar.png
Additional information on setting up Google Now for Chrome is available in Google's help pages.

Article Link: Google Now Officially Comes to Chrome for Desktop

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
What's the coffee cup to the left of google now... seems interesting...

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
One more foot in the door to spy on us later.
Somehow I expect advertisements to start showing up on users desktops.

MikeAnd

Suspended
Jan 8, 2008
Now with more spyware!

But it's totally worth it to be able to see the local weather.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
10.10 @ wwdc

Wondering if OS X 10.10 will have Siri built in. I have to assume so.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
I prefer Safari, but because I use Android I have to use Chrome for better integration and the Google ecosystem.

Chrome is awesome, and this just makes it better.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
It is quite sad, Our macs can't do much more now (via voice) than they could back in 1993. While we can dictate with relative success, it is a far cry from what our Phones can do now (natively).

Agreed. I'd be much more comfortable talking to my iMac in my own home than I am shouting at my iPhone when I'm in public.

A cultural thing, perhaps.

I prefer Safari, but because I use Android I have to use Chrome for better integration and the Google ecosystem.

Chrome is awesome, and this just makes it better.

Careful - that kind of logical, open-minded approach to your use of technology will get you in trouble round here. It's Apple or nothing in this hood. ;)

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
"Caffeine" so your mac doesnt fall asleep during tasks like downloading or whatever

I use it almost every time I do a presentation.
Love it.

On Chrome: I loved Chrome. Unfortunately I had to switch back to Safari since Google still hasn't updated Chrome to 64-bit.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
People still use Chrome on a Mac? Chrome is dog slow and power hungry these days. It's fallen significantly behind Safari in performance on a Mac and on Windows it's font rendering is absolutely atrocious. And it's always been buggy on Android to the point that many if not most Android users prefer the stock Android browser over Chrome when available.

I almost feel sorry for the Chrome team because it used to be really good. Now it's reputation is that of a subpar browser on all platforms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.