Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a case designed for the iPhone 6 was compared to an iPhone 5s, a Nexus 5, and a Galaxy Note 3 in order to explore how the upcoming device might look compared to other large-screened devices.

Today that same case has been compared to a current generation iPod touch by Unbox Therapy, suggesting the future iPhone 6 could be as thin as the existing iPod touch. In the video, a fifth-generation iPod touch is placed inside of the alleged 4.7-inch iPhone 6 case, demonstrating a perfect fit when it comes to depth.

Released in 2012, Apple's current generation iPod touch measures in at just 6.1mm thick, while the iPhone 5s 7.6mm thick. iPhone 6 rumors have already suggested the device could be much thinner than the iPhone 5s, and reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted a thickness of 6.5mm to 7.0mm.

The way the iPod touch fits in the case also suggests that the iPhone 6 could have the elongated, rectangular buttons of the iPod touch rather than the circular buttons of the iPhone 5s. This is in line with previous rumors and with a possible volume button part leak posted in our forums earlier today.

iphone6volumebutton.jpg
Possible iPhone 6 volume button part leak

While it's impossible to tell whether the iPhone 6 case in the video is a legitimate representation of what Apple's next-generation device might look like, the case design does resemble previously leaked schematics, case maker's renderings, and manufacturing molds.

Along with a thinner design and a larger, the iPhone 6 is also expected to incorporate slimmer bezels, an upgraded A8 processor, and an improved camera via optical image stabilization. While a 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 is expected to ship in the fall, a 5.5-inch version may also come somewhat later in the year due to production issues that have delayed its release.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone 6 Could Be as Thin as Current iPod Touch

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
guess I am not the only one:
Bigger Battery and better camera instead of thinner!!!!!!!!!

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Cue the sea of comments about how "I don't care about thinness, just make the battery better!"

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
My iPhone 4S battery is starting to show its age. I really hope the new iPhone(s?) arrive in June and not September. I'm ready to upgrade now.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So either the new iPhone will look like the 5th gen iPod touch (minus the black strip on the back) or some of the leaks we've seen are actually for a new iPod touch.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
ENOUGH the iPhone 5 is already thin and slippery enough. now add a even taller lighter device and itll just flip out of your hand in no time.

i rather have a better battery life. redic

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
An even thinner iPhone with at least as good battery life as the current would be impressive, but if even a minute of battery life is sacrificed, then clearly Apple has its priorities out of whack.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
I eagerly await this new refresh.

It's gonna be great. And people are going to like it.

And others will bitch and moan.

But then, there hasn't been a single device that everybody has loved...has there?

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
I would like my next iphone to be as thick and solid as my 4s. The form factor is perfect just the speed is not great. I am not interested in thinner at all.

4s with new processor and better battery life. Am I alone? I think not. Personally cannot stand the 5/5s form.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
So either the new iPhone will look like the 5th gen iPod touch (minus the black strip on the back) or some of the leaks we've seen are actually for a new iPod touch.

this, it would also explain the non-tone flash cut out, or perhaps this is the 6c.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Interesting. Didn't the current iPod Touch lose the ambient light sensor because it was too thin? It's not a problem as I always turn that feature off, but I wonder if that's something Apple has gotten around.

Would love this form factor, though.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Exactly. Thinness means considerably worse battery life with all "thin" iPod touch models than the same-generation iPhones (e.g, 2nd and 4th gen).

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Look at it this way. The thinner the phone is, the less bulky the battery case that you're going to put it in will have to be. And you're going to get the battery case, because you don't care that the case makes it thicker. You're on record as saying you don't care about thinness.

Plus, you're a good person, and you realize that other people do want the next iPhone to be thinner.

If you want a thick phone, I found an old one in the garage the other day. It's about an inch and a half thick.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
ENOUGH the iPhone 5 is already thin and slippery enough. now add a even taller lighter device and itll just flip out of your hand in no time.

i rather have a better battery life. redic

I agree about the slipperiness. The 5, 5S; and the iPad Air and Mini are quite slippery.

The Bogeyman

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Under your stairs
Dear Apple,

I don't want or care about a thinner phone.

Just give me a battery which allows me to use my phone for a whole day. You know, like the one you put in the iPad. It can't be that hard to do when you scale the screen down to the size of the iPhone to make the battery last the equivalent of the one in the iPad.

My iPhone is amazing. It really is a clever piece of tech and I would never choose a different make, but please put a better battery in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.