Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, who are expected to take on senior roles at Apple following the company's rumored acquisition of Beats Electronics, may make their first appearance at Apple's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference, which takes place in June.

Citing sources familiar with the Beats Electronics acquisition talks, Billboard suggests Apple may introduce the two new hires during the event, possibly announcing Iovine as the company's new music chief. Iovine's role may include overseeing Apple's music strategy, securing deals and maintaining relationships with music labels.

dreiovine.jpg
Apple is currently said to be in talks with Beats Electronics over a $3.2 billion acquisition that would see the company gaining the Beats headphone business, its music service, and its two co-founders, Iovine and Dre.

Apple's interest in the company is said to be centered around Iovine, who has deep ties to the music industry, but it also gives Apple a successful speaker and headphone accessory line along with an established streaming music service. According to a recent report from Reuters, Apple will likely keep the Beats brand as a separate entity, giving it a way to test a subscription music service without compromising its own iTunes store.

As noted by Billboard, Dr. Dre, aka Andre Young, has previously appeared at an Apple event, congratulating Steve Jobs on the launch of both the iPod and the iTunes Store via video. Iovine has also had an ongoing relationship with Apple, initially pitching Steve Jobs on a music service back in 2003 and speaking with Apple executives prior to the launch of Beats Music earlier this year.

The deal between Apple and Beats Electronics is expected to be announced soon, possibly as early as this week.

Article Link: Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre May Make First Official Appearance at Apple's WWDC

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Time for some mad beets.

Attachments

• iOS-7-on-iPhone-4S-WWDC-2013.jpg
    iOS-7-on-iPhone-4S-WWDC-2013.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 270

Legend of Ive

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
Dr Dre is going to be like "I'm the First Billionaire in Hip Hop from the Mother ****ing West Cost Nugga"

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Tim Cook takes to stage, announces iPhone 6 which is exactly the same as iPhone 5S but with Beats Audio! Then cracks a joke to say he told you he doubled down on secrecy, you guys thought we were going to make a bigger phone!

Legend of Ive

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
Lot of people were complaining about Angela getting 68 Mil. These dudes are about to cash in 3.2 Bill. But I applaud them for their business accomplishment for making a billion dollar company out of headphones

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Is this what Cook meant when he said we'd see new products across 2014? New executives announced at WWDC? Lol

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Haha. I know it would never happen, but I'd laugh so hard if he performed Dre Day and Forgot about Dre at WWDC. ::p

grumple

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
After reading these threads, I'm embarrassed to be an Apple fan. Some people need to grow up.

Looking forward to their keynotes @ WWDC 2014

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.