Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Recent weeks have seen a number of cases and physical mockups for Apple's rumored iPhone 6, and now we're getting a good look at the aluminum mold being used by case manufacturers as they prepare for the upcoming launch, courtesy of MobileDirect.ro.

iphone_6_mold_1.jpg
Rather than a dummy model made to resemble the iPhone 6 directly, the mold is intended to represent the general shape of the device for the purposes of creating cases to fit the device and its physical features. As a result, the mold contains holes and depressions to allow it to be attached to machines for making the cases.

iphone_6_mold_3.jpg
The iPhone 6 is expected to be available in two display sizes, both larger than the current 4-inch display on the last several generations. A 4.7-inch version has been rumored to be launching first around the September timeframe, with an even larger 5.5-inch model reportedly following several months later.

iphone_6_mold_2.jpg

Article Link: The Aluminum iPhone 6 Mold Being Used By Case Manufacturers

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
the rounded edges almost reminds me of the current-gen models, but with bumpers on them, though keeping the same thickness of the current gen models.

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
how's that supply chain secrecy working out ... :confused:

Actually it's working rather well. It's Almost June and we haven't seen one real part of this phone. Just Mockups, 3d prints and cases. Usually by now we can put together a whole functioning phone based on leaked parts.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
2 things...

First, anyone upset that apple is releasing the 5.5" at a later date? I am split between both sizes, and am also impatient and don't want my samsung galaxy s3 anymore...

Second, did they kill off the bezeless rumors? haven't heard about that in a long time.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
from these pics it doesn't look so thin... along with that protruding camera lens :/

You do realize that this is the mold for the device right?

Molds are always thicker and have bigger "parts", I.E the camera lens. Basically, imagine the real device around 15% to 25% thinner than the actual mold.

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
You do realize that this is the mold for the device right?

Molds are always thicker and have bigger "parts", I.E the camera lens. Basically, imagine the real device around 15% to 25% thinner than the actual mold.

It makes sense that the camera lens would be protruding on the mold so that it can correspond with a hole in the case. I highly doubt the real iPhone 6 would have a protruding lens.

Last edited:

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
So far everything about the iPhone 6 is admirable. The design, screen size, rumoured features etc.

However, the only gripe I have is that the bezel would make an already bigger phone even bigger. But then again, the Home button and symmetry are very important things for proper user experience and design. My hope is that they make the bezels just thin enough to just barely fit the Home button.

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
This could be totally wrong, just like couple years ago iPhone cases started shipping out before the iPhones was even announced and it turned out the cases were completely wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.