Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has changed the number of apps displayed in the "Top Charts" section of the iOS App Store, reports TechCrunch. Rather than displaying the top 300 apps in a given section, only the top 150 apps are displayed on the Paid, Free, and Top Grossing charts.

appstorecharts.jpg
The change was implemented several days ago and has largely gone under the radar, but it does leave half as many apps available for discovery via the Top Charts, a fairly significant change. Apple's desktop iTunes App Store continues to display the top 200 apps.

While it is unclear why the iOS App Store is now displaying fewer apps in its Top Charts, the shift follows an earlier change to the App Store rankings designed to promote better app discovery.

According to Appsfire CEO Ouriel Ohayon, the change will not impact developers in as the bottom Top Chart listings did not have a significant impact on app downloads.

Article Link: iOS App Store Top Charts Now Display 150 Results, Down From 300

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Guessing it's performance related? How many people really scroll past the first 100 anyway?

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Something they never fixed:

On iOS 6, viewing your "Purchased" items takes a very long time to load, and many times will crash the App Store.

Also on iOS 6, there is no "Search" in the Purchased section. You cannot find apps removed from the App Store that way, like you can on iOS 7. Someone with an iOS 7 device can still download "iTap" or the original "Flappy Bird", for example, but they cannot download them on iOS 6. They'd have to download them on an iOS 7 device, transfer the apps to a computer with iTunes, then sync them to the iOS 6 device.

Apple just seemed to abandon iOS 6 without ever fixing those issues. They were broke during the iOS 6 betas in 2012, broke at release with 6.0, still broke at 6.1, and still broke today with 6.1.6.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I wish Apple would include a "no games" check box to exclude games from app lists - I don't play any games and they clog up all the lists!

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Always been like the there in the UK
Also I notice the UK iTunes will show the top 40 instead of the top 100 as default but when you press more it will only show the top 150 instead of top 300

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
Something they never fixed:

On iOS 6, viewing your "Purchased" items takes a very long time to load, and many times will crash the App Store.

Also on iOS 6, there is no "Search" in the Purchased section. You cannot find apps removed from the App Store that way, like you can on iOS 7. Someone with an iOS 7 device can still download "iTap" or the original "Flappy Bird", for example, but they cannot download them on iOS 6. They'd have to download them on an iOS 7 device, transfer the apps to a computer with iTunes, then sync them to the iOS 6 device.

Apple just seemed to abandon iOS 6 without ever fixing those issues. They were broke during the iOS 6 betas in 2012, broke at release with 6.0, still broke at 6.1, and still broke today with 6.1.6.

iOS 6.1 is two version behind...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Probably no one looks past the top 25 - 50 apps anyway. I would be surprised if anyone looking at the top list made it down to the bottom 100.
I often look through it all--not on a daily basis, but once a week or so. Basically a lot of the time when I do look through it I generally look through all of it.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Guessing it's performance related? How many people really scroll past the first 100 anyway?

I am absolutely positive that the scrolling list that makes up the main body of the app is an instance of apple's own UITableView class. It dynamically allocates and recycles individual cells (lines of text/icons) on a per needed basis. The app would be just as responsive if the table had 100 or 1 million entries in it.

Performance is definitely not the issue here.

hmmmmmmm....

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
If it makes scamming rankings even harder for the lame developers who want money, over making actual games that are worthwhile to us consumers, I'm fine with it.

I usually use the categories instead of the main chart for better variety in stuff instead of just games/music and social networking apps.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
Hopefully Apple will remove the near me tab and add a "New" tab instead.

But at least the apps are still ranked properly instead of randomly like reviews.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hopefully Apple will remove the near me tab and add a "New" tab instead.

They already have a featured/new apps tabs. ;)

But yeah, I hope they get rid of the Near Me tab too.

I thought the feature would be really cool, but all it does is list crappy apps related to the area you're in. It doesn't look good at all, especially since none of them here are even optimized for iOS 7. That's not at all what they were promising it was going to be at the keynote last year.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
They didn't fix it when 5.1.1 was current and 6.0 was in beta.

They didn't fix it when 6.0 was final and current.

They didn't fix it when 6.1 came out.

6.1.6 is the current version (as of February 2014) for multiple devices.

7.1.1 is Apple's current version regardless of older devices so I doubt it will do much, but if you haven't yet let Apple know.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Slow news day?

Actually, there's been quite a bit today. But I'd imagine this would be more significant news for iOS developers who now have less chance for exposure on that list than for the end user who probably won't notice. Not that the 10 people/day who don't get bored after the first 150 count as much exposure anyways.*

*I'm being facetious here; I obviously have no idea how many people scroll past 150.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Apple is just pushing less and less visibility....

If anything they need to get rid of the "Top Revenue" tab and add back the "New Apps" tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.