Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated the CarPlay section of its website, adding MLB At Bat to the official list of apps supported by the service. While support for MLB At Bat was demoed during Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, its inclusion has gone largely under the radar.

As described by PCMag, the MLB At Bat app allows users to listen to a variety of radio stations that broadcast local games, streaming live games from the iPhone through the car's speakers. Access to MLB At Bat on CarPlay will require a subscription, which is priced at $19.99 for the 2014 season or $2.99 per month.

carplaymlb.jpg
First announced in March, CarPlay connects the iPhone to a car's built-in display, giving drivers a hands-free way to access Maps, make phone calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music while staying focused on the road. CarPlay works with Siri and integrates with the car's built-in controls and in-dash touchscreen.

In addition to MLB at Bat, CarPlay also includes support for several other apps like Podcasts, Beats Music, iHeart Radio, Spotify, and Stitcher, with support for additional apps coming in the future.

CarPlay will be available later this year in select 2014 car models from manufacturers like Ferarri, Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo. CarPlay will also be available on several aftermarket systems from Alpine and Pioneer.

Article Link: Apple Confirms 'MLB at Bat' Support on CarPlay Website

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
I wonder how much longer until CarPlay actually comes out...Apparently Pioneer is waiting for Apple to give them the go ahead to release the firmware...

scr1968

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
I wonder how much longer until CarPlay actually comes out...Apparently Pioneer is waiting for Apple to give them the go ahead to release the firmware...

Got a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX installed last month. Bring on the firmware update - I'm ready!

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Got a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX installed last month. Bring on the firmware update - I'm ready!

Nice! I purchased a couple of the 8000 line w/SiriusXM and absolutely love it. My wallet however did not like it :eek:

Hoping that by the end of July, the CarPlay update from Pioneer is released! It was the main reason I bought this radio...

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Nice! I purchased a couple of the 8000 line w/SiriusXM and absolutely love it. My wallet however did not like it :eek:

Hoping that by the end of July, the CarPlay update from Pioneer is released! It was the main reason I bought this radio...

My car is too old to have any wireless technology nor a line in jack and yet too new to replace ATM. Thus, a CarPlay aftermarket unit is exactly what I'm looking for. Hope to get one of these units soon. However, I'm not spending a dime until I know the firmware is released and the unit I'm buying has it pre-installed. Not going to risk over $1000 only to find out Apple for some reason did not approve it!

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I'm so proud of Apple for creating CarPlay technologies. I truly think this is the next big innovation and not necessarily the smartwatch. And Apple is already a world leader with CarPlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.