Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mophie today announced a new 64 GB version of its Space Pack for the iPhone 5 and 5s, which is currently available for pre-order on the company's website. First introduced in January of this year, the Mophie Space Pack is a 1700 mAh battery case that includes built-in storage.

The Space Pack aims to double the battery life of the iPhone while also increasing the built-in storage space. Originally only available in 16 and 32 GB capacities, the new 64 GB option doubles the storage space of Apple's highest capacity iPhone.

Using an accompanying Space app, the Space Pack can store photos, videos, music, and more. Accessing files does not require a data or Wi-Fi connection, and content like music and movies can be played directly from the Space app.

The 64 GB Mophie Space Pack, currently only available in black, can be pre-ordered from the Mophie website for $249.95.

Article Link: Mophie Adds 64 GB 'Space Pack' to Battery Case Lineup

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
16GB iPhone 5S: $199
64GB iPhone 5S: $399
-------------------------
Difference: $200

64GB Space Pack: $250

No thanks! Might as well get a 64GB 5S and battery case. Also the data storage isn't as useful as built-in storage. With iCloud getting massively bigger, more useful and cheaper in iOS 8—and data connections becoming faster—I'd rather just get that 200GB iCloud plan for $3.99/mo. Over two years that's about $96, and you get over three times the storage space. If you need storage space for trips where you don't have data (or can only get metered cellular data), get one of those special flash drives for your iPhone instead. They're a lot cheaper!

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
A friend of mine at work bought one of the 32gb versions. The case made her phone huge. I'm curious how it works. If the app can play avi's and other non-apple formats, might be nice to have the extra space while on vacation.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
$250???

That is with a iPhone and a 2 year contract, right?

Tell me they are not selling a battery case with 64gigs for $250.
If so, where can I sign up to get into that racket???

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Introducing the new Mophie Space (In your wallet) Pack...

Besides the pricing, I'm really curious how this behaves with native apps like photos and music. I've been expanding my storage with iFile and some big microSD cards, but it's less than ideal because of compatibility issues. Like the idea though!

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
If you need storage space for trips where you don't have data (or can only get metered cellular data), get one of those special flash drives for your iPhone instead. They're a lot cheaper!

This is basically a special flash drive with a battery pack attached to it. That being said, I wasn't able to find any other (non-cloud, non-wireless) products that allowed you to have a total of 128 GB storage on an iPhone for cheaper.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Introducing the new Mophie Space (In your wallet) Pack...

Besides the pricing, I'm really curious how this behaves with native apps like photos and music. I've been expanding my storage with iFile and some big microSD cards, but it's less than ideal because of compatibility issues. Like the idea though!

I know you can do this with iPad, but I wasn't aware of a trick to get the Apple SD card reader to work with the iPhone. is there a new cydia tweak that does this?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Hmm, no thanks. Just buy more RAM when you get the phone, and either live with the battery life...or purchase a phone with a swappable battery, like the Samsung Galaxy S range.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Pre-order? A case that is about to be obsolete with a new form factor from Apple due out in less than 90 days....

Here's an idea, let me pre-order a case that will fit the new 5.5 iPhone and have it ready on launch day.....

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
$250?! No thanks! Especially since it'll be obsolete in 4 mos.

Pre-order? A case that is about to be obsolete with a new form factor from Apple due out in less than 90 days....

Here's an idea, let me pre-order a case that will fit the new 5.5 iPhone and have it ready on launch day.....

I'm genuinely curious. If a person buys this for a 5 or 5S, how is the Space Pack obsoleted? It's specifically for the 5/5S. If rumors are true about the iPhone size increase(s), there are a lot of people who may be getting a 5S. Plus there are a lot of people who will be holding on to their 5/5S.

If all the 5's and 5S' were going to suddenly disappear :eek:when the 6 is introduced, I might buy your argument. But $250? Damn!

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I'm genuinely curious. If a person buys this for a 5 or 5S, how is the Space Pack obsoleted? It's specifically for the 5/5S. If rumors are true about the iPhone size increase(s), there are a lot of people who may be getting a 5S. Plus there are a lot of people who will be holding on to their 5/5S.

If all the 5's and 5S' were going to suddenly disappear :eek:when the 6 is introduced, I might buy your argument. But $250? Damn!

Obviously because buying the latest and greatest is guaranteed to future-proof yourself, and buying anything else will lead to people pointing at you and calling you bad names. :cool:

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

Well because the answer is simple. If you don't plan to buy an unannounced phone and plan to keep your current phone without buying the new iPhone then it's going to become obsolete and will stop working as soon as the new iPhone launches. Duh!

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
16GB iPhone 5S: $199
64GB iPhone 5S: $399
-------------------------
Difference: $200

64GB Space Pack: $250

No thanks! Might as well get a 64GB 5S and battery case.

Cost me a hundred bucks to add a 128GB micro SD to my Galaxy Note III, bringing it up to 160GB.

If you need space but don't want to be ripped off, perhaps look beyond the iPhone?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
This is basically a special flash drive with a battery pack attached to it. That being said, I wasn't able to find any other (non-cloud, non-wireless) products that allowed you to have a total of 128 GB storage on an iPhone for cheaper.

I don't get how this works? iOS allows this extra storage or is this just for things like photos? Can you actually store apps on it? iTunes content?

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
A friend of mine at work bought one of the 32gb versions. The case made her phone huge. I'm curious how it works. If the app can play avi's and other non-apple formats, might be nice to have the extra space while on vacation.

I don't think the pack has its own built in player, i guess anything stored on there still has to be played in QT. Also, AVIs! Old school and HUGE in size. You can get HD in many other formats that would be smaller than an AVI.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I don't get how this works? iOS allows this extra storage or is this just for things like photos? Can you actually store apps on it? iTunes content?

Essentially it is just a flash drive that (as far as I'm aware)* only their app can access. You can play music/videos/view pictures from the app, and possibly send them to other apps (a docx file to Office for instance). You wouldn't be able to play videos bought from iTunes because they are DRM protected, and you wouldn't be able to sideload or store apps onto it because the app wouldn't be able to load external code (a limitation all apps have).

*It may be possible for other apps to be allowed access the storage, but I haven't looked at any APIs related to this sort of thing and I have no idea how they implement it in this case. Also, default apps (Music, Videos, etc.) wouldn't have access to it unless they magically decide to open it up in iOS 8/9 or later.

----------

I don't think the pack has its own built in player, i guess anything stored on there still has to be played in QT. Also, AVIs! Old school and HUGE in size. You can get HD in many other formats that would be smaller than an AVI.

AVI is a container format which can contain a variety of video streams such as standard mp4, H.264, Theora, etc.

But yes, it will likely be heavily reliant on the QT engine, which means it probably has to at least be "compatible with iTunes".

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Essentially it is just a flash drive that (as far as I'm aware)* only their app can access. You can play music/videos/view pictures from the app, and possibly send them to other apps (a docx file to Office for instance). You wouldn't be able to play videos bought from iTunes because they are DRM protected, and you wouldn't be able to sideload or store apps onto it because the app wouldn't be able to load external code (a limitation all apps have).

*It may be possible for other apps to be allowed access the storage, but I haven't looked at any APIs related to this sort of thing and I have no idea how they implement it in this case. Also, default apps (Music, Videos, etc.) wouldn't have access to it unless they magically decide to open it up in iOS 8/9 or later.

Oh, that makes more sense. Thanks!

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011

Good point, most of my stuff these days is in mkv or mp4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.