Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will open its newest retail store in Basel, Switzerland on Saturday, July 12 at Freie Strasse, a shopping area famous in Basel. The shopping street has a number of high end stores and restaurants, with Apple opening at building number 47.

baselapplestore.jpg
The Basel store will join three other Apple retail locations in Switzerland, located in Geneva, Zurich, and Wallisellen. The store, which has been under construction for quite a few months, is said to be approximately 900 square meters and three stories.

Apple's new Basel Apple Store will open at 10 a.m. local time on Saturday, where employees will likely hand out T-shirts to the first customers. The store has already begun accepting reservations for workshops and Genius Bar appointments.

Article Link: Apple to Open New Retail Store in Basel, Switzerland on July 12

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Finally, a second reason to go to Basel. The first being the Art Basel festival.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Switzerland will have 4 stores?! Four?! At this stage I seriously think the Republic of Ireland will never get even one store. :(

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Switzerland will have 4 stores?! Four?! At this stage I seriously think the Republic of Ireland will never get even one store. :(

There are plenty of places which should get an Apple store before Ireland.

For instance, Singapore has none while it is a shopping haven and lots of tourist with money.:confused:

Indonesia (250 million people) has none, Jakarta (~15 m) should have one, lots of rich people.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
There are plenty of places which should get an Apple store before Ireland.

For instance, Singapore has none while it is a shopping haven and lots of tourist with money.:confused:

Indonesia (250 million people) has none, Jakarta (~15 m) should have one, lots of rich people.

Yeah I see your point. The thing is, Ireland is Apple European centre…

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I used to live in Basel, now I have to send a friend to take snapshots of the opening. Wish they'd open one in Victoria, BC . Vancouver area already has 5 stores, but not one on the island.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Yeah I see your point. The thing is, Ireland is Apple European centre…

Well.. it's only there because Apple (like other big companies) is using a trick to bypass tax laws in european countries. (I guess you know that). Fortunately that's going to be fixed soon (TM).

But I'm with you that Ireland deserves an Apple store ;-)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Well.. it's only there because Apple (like other big companies) is using a trick to bypass tax laws in european countries.
It is a bit of a stretch to call that a "trick" when there are thousands of people working there along with a manufacturing facility. I am sure low tax rates help, but so does low property prices, wide availability of English speaking staff, a good education system, stable politics or lack of overt hostility against immigration or tech companies. It ain't a post office box.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Ok, I understand Zurich, that's where the Finance dollars are.

And Geneva, that's where the multi national and NGO dollars are.

And Basel, that's where the pharma dollars are.

But for all that's good Apple, please get around to putting a store in St. Gallen, Vaduz, or Sargans to make things easier for folks in the Rhinetal, 4-landereke, and Graubunden!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.