Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today updated its Google Wallet app, adding several new features including gift card support and a new request money option.

New gift card management options join loyalty cards within the Google Wallet app, allowing users to store gift card information directly in the app. Gift cards can be redeemed in stores with the app, making it unnecessary to hold onto physical cards.

googlewalletgiftcard.jpg
Gift cards can be added manually or using the device's camera and for cards from participating retailers like AMC, Best Buy, Nike, and more, users are able to check gift card balance in real time and get location-based reminders to use cards when in a store.

It's now possible to use the Google Wallet app to request money from friends and family, sending a notification with an attached message.
For all those times when your friends forget to pay you back for dinner, you can simply request money using the Google Wallet app (for U.S. users, 18 years and older). They will receive a notification and can instantly pay you back. If they need a reminder, you can send them a friendly nudge from within the app. You can also send your friends a message right within Gmail, and request money just like you would attach a picture.
Finally, Google has introduced a Spanish language option and made it free to send money in the app when using a debit card. Previously, sending money required a 2.9 percent transaction fee from both a credit card and a debit card.

Google Wallet can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Google Wallet' Updated With Card Support, Money Request Feature, and More

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Niice. Maybe I can dump PayPal’s ghetto broken service that hasn’t worked for 2, maybe 3 years. Mainly use for sending/receiving money.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Niice. Maybe I can dump PayPal’s ghetto broken service that hasn’t worked for 2, maybe 3 years. Mainly use for sending/receiving money.

Check out Square Cash. It's from the company that makes iPhone/iPad credit card readers. You link your debit card and you can send money to other people and have it auto-credited to your bank account without a separate account that holds the money until you withdraw like PayPal. You get $1 free just for signing up.

Non-referral link

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Check out Square Cash. It's from the company that makes iPhone/iPad credit card readers. You link your debit card and you can send money to other people and have it auto-credited to your bank account without a separate account that holds the money until you withdraw like PayPal. You get $1 free just for signing up.

Non-referral link

Bullcrap that's not a referral link.. Right-click and do 'copy address' and check

On second thought, it seems MR links through some viglink.com address.. Seems they are the scummy ones. Recommend going to http://www.square.com/cash/ by copying and pasting.

Last edited:

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Bullcrap that's not a referral link.. Right-click and do 'copy address' and check

On second thought, it seems MR links through some viglink.com address.. Seems they are the scummy ones. Recommend going to http://www.square.com/cash/ by copying and pasting.

I had a referral link but removed it. Also, right clicking the link does not give me a viglink.com address after posting. You may want to check your browser security settings if you're getting a redirect.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Non-referral link

I use it all of the time. I love it :)

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I had a referral link but removed it. Also, right clicking the link does not give me a viglink.com address after posting. You may want to check your browser security settings if you're getting a redirect.

Strange.. Checked on my Windows machine and same thing. Even tried with IE and still giving me a viglink.com address.

Edit: Looks like forums that use tapatalk can also earn some cash by using viglink. Can opt out at viglink dot com slash opt-out, or just add *.viglink.com to Adblock. Problem solved!

Last edited:

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

Non-referral link

Nice to know about, thanks.
Still feels dirty giving google ALL of my info. Better to spread it out amongst the internet myself.

harrisrob

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2014
As usual, Google is too late to the party. A better solution is to use Loop Wallet

Go to LoopPay.com for more details.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Creepy Google is creepy. I'm not about to turn over detailed purchase history to the likes of Eric Schmidt, Larry Page, or their minions.

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
People use Google Wallet?

Apart from the Android crowd, is there anyone out there who actually uses this? lol

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Yeah but I can pay for my Starbucks with Passbook = True innovation ;)

:rolleyes: You could use Google Wallet to do the same on the iPhone if Apple wasn't so far behind the times with NFC technology. Android users have been able to pay for things with their phones for years.

----------

Creepy Google is creepy. I'm not about to turn over detailed purchase history to the likes of Eric Schmidt, Larry Page, or their minions.
There is always at least one of you per thread...

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014

Non-referral link

Yeah, and Venmo, etc. There are a million of these things. Did you get paid to write this?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Apart from the Android crowd, is there anyone out there who actually uses this? lol

You say that like we're talking about a Windows Phone feature, when in fact Google isn't the obscure, nor the restricting guy in town.
It's Apple where most of their services are siloed to their hardware.

Glassed Silver:mac

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
I live in Chicago and I primarily use Android as a mobile OS. (Relax, I use Apple products too).

I have been able to use my phone to pay for purchases at Walgreens (a national drug store chain), 7-11, Office Max (?Depot, I forget which one, now they're merging I think), paying cab drivers (though the independent ones now like taking Square), some gas stations and now (after the transition to the new system) I can use it to pay for a ride on the CTA (our local public transport system).

What's more is that Google Wallet can really work anywhere that you see the pay to tap logos (the one w/ the 4 lines and the paypass logo), but some retailers simply haven't "flipped the switch" so to speak to enable it. For example Best Buy and Meijer's have the tap to pay functionality (which I can use with my Chase credit card), but when I tap my phone a message comes up stating that this method of payment isn't allowed.

I can change which credit card I want charged on the fly. And now I can do Gift Cards in addition to the already supported Loyalty Cards.

I use a Moto X and my wife uses a Nexus 5 and we both have been able to use our phones to pay on AT&T's network. (I also have ISIS but don't use that).

It's nice and convenient. All the charges are billed to my credit card of course but I get a separate log of all my transactions. Sure they're in my Google account which would bother many people here, but I'm not bothered by it. I find it helpful as I can search through all my transactions in one place as opposed to logging in to each credit card's website separately.

I hope more places accept Google Wallet so I can leave my physical cards behind (except perhaps one, for emergencies).

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
You say that like we're talking about a Windows Phone feature, when in fact Google isn't the obscure, nor the restricting guy in town.
It's Apple where most of their services are siloed to their hardware.

Glassed Silver:mac

Your point being? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.