Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now that Apple's purchase of Beats Electronics is complete, the company has begun expanding its promotion of Beats products, giving the Beats by Dr. Dre line of accessories its own dedicated section in the Accessory portion of the Apple Online Store.

Added yesterday, the Beats by Dr. Dre section joins "All Accessories," "Apple Accessories," "Exclusives," "Now Trending," and Gift Cards" on the top menu bar of the "Shop Accessories" section of the online store.

beatsbydre.jpg
Though Apple has long sold Beats products, the dedicated menu bar position gives the accessories far more prominence online. The section, first noticed by 9to5Mac, promotes Beats headphones, Beats in-ear headphones, Beats speakers, and Beats accessories like the Pill Dudes and Sleeves designed to hold Beats speakers.

Apple is also continuing to show off the Beats line of headphones in its retail stores, with the Beats by Dr. Dre Solo2 and Studio over-ear headphones accompanying iPod touches in many retail locations.

Apple's $3 billion acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music became official last week, following U.S. regulatory approval of the deal. As of August 1, Beats Electronics shut down its own online store and began directing customers to the Apple Online Store.

Article Link: Apple Adds Dedicated Beats By Dr. Dre Accessory Section to Online Store

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I don't care much about the acquisition of beats, but seeing Apple themselves advertising beats accessories as "great sound" feels kind of painful. I don't know what it is.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
So ... different owners, same massively overpriced, crappy products?

Still scratching my head over why Apple would bother with acquiring Beats in the first place.

Reactions: ThomasJL

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
If you ready any headphones review:

Best over the ear
Best wireless over the ear
Best earbuds
Best wireless earbuds

None will say that Beats is worth it. They all point to other products that give the same performance for less, and a fair amount less, or that for the same price you can get way better product.

I am not an audiophile, and I do think some of the Beats stuff looks good, but there are too many other options to buy stuff like this without doing research.

Since I am not an audiophile I stick to my Apple EarPods, my RocketFish Bluetooth that wraps around the back (over the ear but not covering or noise canceling) or my stereo options (car, computer, sound system).

I'd have to need a replacement to drop coin on this, and Beats/Apple probably wouldn't get my $$.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I'm not about the join the anti-Beats circlejerk, but this next step was obviously going to happen.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Predictable. Apple will market Beats everywhere to get as much cash as possible. This is the free market at work.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010

Still scratching my head over why Apple would bother with acquiring Beats in the first place.

Still a better buy that Instagram or Whatsapp.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I just hope they hire some decent engineers to turn the Beats products into top quality headphones and speakers with decent sound quality instead of the over priced crap they currently churn out.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Beats Pros are phenomenal headphones, haters always ignore that model when hating on Beats

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
L-A-M-E.

wtf is Apple doing these days....

I wouldn't buy Beats but this makes perfect sense and is a good move for them. People don't buy beats for much other than being ill-informed, a fashion decision, or both. Any Apple is taking advantage of that. They like to tout being best at some stuff, but they don't claim to be the best at everything.

What are they doing, working on an iPhone 6 release, iOS 8 (or call it iOS 7.5 if you will), Yosemite, and possible a new product (iWatch). So who cares about this. It helps them with streaming and acquires a fashionable profit producing company and the personnel responsible for it.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Oh I don't know...

Maybe for the cultural clout they carry... and so Apple can engineer the things to sound better in a year or so?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Really looking forward to apple improving the sound quality of beats headphones.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
Maybe for the cultural clout they carry... and so Apple can engineer the things to sound better in a year or so?

That's the strange thing, Apple has the cultural clout already, and it's backed up by very solid products across the board.

Beats may have some of this clout, but there's nothing of any quality backing it up, it's just hype. This acquisition just seems so un-Apple to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.