Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New high-quality photos said to be of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6's rear shell have been shared by Nowhereelse.fr (Google Translate), showing us what may be a finished back from the device. Notably, this newest component appears to have its rear bands colored in to fit with the rest of the device, perhaps suggesting that the different color options of the iPhone 6 will feature a similar treatment.

iphone6_rearshell_hq112.jpg
Besides its colored bands, the rear shell shown in the photos appears to be consistent with previous looks at the component, displaying a rounded chassis, embedded rear logo, and more. The shell also appears to adopt redesigned speaker holes and a rounded True Tone LED flash, which join the typical Lightning port, headphone jack, and rear camera.

rear_shell_i6.jpg
Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 6 at an event on September 9, where it will also likely unveil its wearable device for the first time. The 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will likely launch a week or so after the event, while the bigger 5.5-inch version of the device may be held back due to production issues. In addition to a larger screen, the iPhone 6 is expected to feature a faster A8 processor, a revamped camera system, iOS 8, and near field communication (NFC) technology for mobile payments.

Article Link: More High-Quality Photos Show 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Rear Shell with Colored Bands

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
11 days seems miles off! It's been sometime since I've been this excited about an Apple event.

Definitely doing that more rounded design.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
inb4 not blurry pictures crap.

Those ugly antennas are growing on me, maybe it's the slow acceptance of them being actually real.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I think it looks alright. I'm sure whatever professional pics Apple throws at us, along with Ive's intro video in his soothing accent, will get me to buy it.

And I'm okay with that.

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Curious what the black will look like - hopefully the bands won't be contrasting against the slate. It's growing on me this design.. I thought the bands were cutouts for glass but not anymore!

dav1dd

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
Oz
I really hope this is Apple playing us all so that on 9.9 we can be wowed.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i dont know why people hate on it. it looks a lot better than the ugly back of the iphone 5/5S with its different colored bits

cant wait

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
at least this white version is looking better, previous silver ones was hideous.

XVentura

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
So the antenna bands are real? Damn it. It is disgustingly ugly. It's extremely disappointing to see that Apple couldn't figure out a better design for the antenna. It is not pleasing aesthetically at all.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
So the antenna bands are real? Damn it. It is disgustingly ugly. It's extremely disappointing to see that Apple couldn't figure out a better design for the antenna. It is not pleasing aesthetically at all.

Maybe they have done it because they've created these special bands that no matter where you are in the world (middle of the Atlantic) you'll get full reception!

iPhone 6.
No longer can you hold it wrong.

Last edited:

XVentura

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
They had 2 years to figure out where to put the antenna bands and this is the best they could do? Seriously disappointed.

The other features sound great and I'm sure it'll be a great phone, but the back is ugly.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

how is the solution on the iPhone 5 any better tho. it stands out even more with its ugly white glass bits on the silver center piece (and i own one lol). this one looks more subtle and goes hand in hand with the sides

XVentura

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Maybe they have done it because they've created these special bands that no matter where you are in the world (middle of the Atlantic) you'll get full reception!
There better be some special purpose to these bands because they're uncharacteristically ugly.

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Brilliant!

If this silver back comes with a black front then I'm sold - otherwise I guess I'll have to take the black "space grey" version. I don't like the white front on any iPhone. :cool:

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

Taste is subjective. I dig 'em. Your language speaks to your life being extremely shallow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.