Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Just browsing around and surprised to find there wasn't already a thread to talk about the Oscar nominations. So here it is. :)

2005 Oscar Nominees

So yeah. Happy to see both 'Munich' and 'Good Night, and Good Luck' were nominated for Best Picture. I was REALLY fraking surprised to see Keira Knightley get a nomination. But seriously, if she and Jennifer Ehle were to throw down, Jennifer would totally win. BBC's version of 'Pride and Prejudice' should be part of the Bible or something. Anyhow, what be everyone's thoughts?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Damn. I've seen virtual 0 of those movies. It's been a tough year for the film industry dipping into my wallet.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Wow... Star Wars episode III only got one nomination, and that was best Makeup... None of the technical awards... :eek:
That's pretty lame... I didn't see Narnia, but from what I saw in the trailers and what I read in the reviews, the special effects in that movie were sub-par. RotS had AMAZING special effects.

Not a bad year for me WRT having seen a pretty decent percentage of the nominated films... I saw Syriana, Munich, Wallace & Gromit, King Kong, Batman Begins, War of the Worlds, and Revenge of the Sith.

P.S.: This post now takes me into the Top 50 posters here at MR. ;)

P.P.S.: Can't wait to see how edesignuk reacts to Keira Knightley receiving a freaking Best Actress in a Leading Role nod. :p

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
clayj said:
P.P.S.: Can't wait to see how edesignuk reacts to Keira Knightley receiving a freaking Best Actress in a Leading Role nod.

Didn't you hear? They broke up and are "pursuing other relationships".

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
clayj said:
P.P.S.: Can't wait to see how edesignuk reacts to Keira Knightley receiving a freaking Best Actress in a Leading Role nod. :p

Oh, crap. Is he going to put a hit out on me for my mildly disparaging remark?

Let's see, of all the nominated movies, I've seen: Brokeback Mountain; Good Night, and Good Luck; Crash; Munich; Walk the Line; North Country; Pride and Prejudice; A History of Violence; The Constant Gardner; Charlie & the Chocolate Factory; Memoirs of a Geisha; The Chronicles of Narnia; Revenge of the Sith; Wallaca & Gromit; Corpse Bride; King Kong; War of the Worlds; Paradise Now; Batman Begins; Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire.

Wowser.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Am I the only one who thinks Crash is the most overrated movie of the year. I really didn't think it was interseting and predicted ever "plot twist" at least 5 minutes before it occured in the movie. It was entertaining, but nothing special.

I'd really like to see Brokeback Mountain win best picture and Heath ledger win best actor. Simply because I was absolutely blown away by his acting job in that movie. I thought it was fantastic. And the movie as a whole I thought was one of the most challenging movies I've seen in a while. the characters are real, deeply flawed, sympathetic and hateful at the same time. The more time has passed since I saw it, the more I appreciate it.

And I hope murderball wins for best documentary. That was a really enjoyable, intense movie.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
well there wasnt really a stand out movie or actor for 2005 so whatever.
I can see the winners now. (walk the line for both best actor/actress) or Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Action movies are in!
Batman, Narnia, king kong(right to be nominated in that area)

Batman? im truly surprised about this one although i like it.

Bless

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Im kinda disappointed by these nominations, this should prove just how bad a year Hollywood is having if this is what they scrounge up.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would say Munich is my bet to win it all with Phillip Seymour Hoffman winning best actor, Reese Witherspoon will win actress. And Spielberg as director.

Im not saying that these movies are bad but what other movies were there that were better, Its a rough time for Hollywood with remakes seeming to be the thing and nothing really new coming out. Looking though the nominations it seems like they were searching to find people to fill the categories.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Is there an Oscar for Hollywood's biggest up-himself prat?

Cause Heath Ledger would have it in the bag.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I hope Crash wins best picture, I don't know if it's the best movie nominated, but its the best movie I've seen this year. I really hope Matt Dillion wins for Crash, that was such a good movie and he was very good in it.

Little miffed Sin City didn't get a nod in any category.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
What I found most interesting this year is that the movie Good Night, and Good Luck. has a period at the end of its title.

I'm rooting for Memoirs of a Geisha in all 24 categories, whether it was nominated or not, just because I liked the backgrounds and scenery.

John Williams is nominated once again for Best Original Score, for both Memoirs of a Geisha and for Munich. But he might be an also-ran once again. His history across all categories is as follows:

1967 - nominated and lost
1971 - won for Fiddler on the Roof
1972 - nominated and lost
1973 - nominated and lost
1974 - nominated and lost
1975 - won for Jaws
1977 - won for Star Wars
1978 - nominated and lost
1980 - nominated and lost
1981 - nominated and lost
1982 - won for E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
1983 - nominated and lost
1984 - nominated and lost
1987 - nominated and lost
1988 - nominated and lost
1989 - nominated and lost
1990 - nominated and lost
1991 - nominated and lost
1993 - won for Schindler's List
1995 - nominated and lost
1996 - nominated and lost
1997 - nominated and lost
1998 - nominated and lost
1999 - nominated and lost
2000 - nominated and lost
2001 - nominated and lost
2002 - nominated and lost
2004 - nominated and lost

He's got some nice statuettes on his shelf, but I stopped betting on him in the office pool.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
MacNut said:
Looking though the nominations it seems like they were searching to find people to fill the categories.

Yeah, I know what you mean there. Best Actress is kind of 'bleah' this year. Charlize Theron was alright but really didn't deserve a nomination. Same for Keira Knightley. Also, where the hell was Ralph Fiennes? Drop Terence Howard and give him a nomination. He was awesome in 'The Constant Gardener' and backed up by being kick-ass in 'Harry Potter' (Whether you liked the move or not, he was good.)

So it goes. What other movies were there this year? I haven't been paying as much attention as usual and have missed out on quite a few.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
It doesn't look like there's a powerhouse that could sweep a bunch of categories this year. It's safe to say that "Brokeback" will win something, but it's hard to guage whether the "big message" factor will push it in many categories or voters will identify a few that they like best. In each of the major categories, no one looks like a lock.

And I too would like to see William Hurt win for "A History of Violence," which I thought was fantastic. Wish Cronenberg had gotten a director nom for it.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Of the 5 nominees for Best Picture, I've only seen one. Munich. I still haven't forgiven them for J.C.'s flashbacks of scenes where he wasn't even present.

Both George Clooney and Paul Giamatti were strong in Syriana and Cinderella Man respectively.

I feel asleep in Walk the Line.

I thought King Kong was great.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's always a good time for trivia!

There is a nomination this year for a movie named 9.

Since I'm sure you were wondering if this was the shortest-ever film title to get an Oscar nomination, I checked for you.

It is the shortest all-numeric title, but it only tied the record for shortest title, since the movie Z got there first. That 1969 movie won for Best Foreign Language Film and for Best Film Editing and was also nominated for Best Picture and Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay.

With only one Oscar category, 9 won't be the best one-letter-title film even if it wins, but I'll root for it since it is nicely numeric.

Here are some previous all-numeric Oscar nominated film titles: 8 1/2, 10, 1776, 1941, 2010, not to mention Three, Seven, and Thirteen. Even though "9" is longer than "8 1/2", it's notable that "8 1/2" is still smaller!

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Doctor Q said:
There is a nomination this year for a movie named 9.

Since I'm sure you were wondering if this was the shortest-ever film title to get an Oscar nomination, I checked for you.

It is the shortest all-numeric title, but it only tied the record for shortest title, since the movie Z got there first. That 1969 movie won for Best Foreign Language Film and for Best Film Editing and was also nominated for Best Picture and Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay.

With only one Oscar category, 9 won't be the best one-letter-title film even if it wins, but I'll root for it since it is nicely numeric.

Here are some previous all-numeric Oscar nominated film titles: 8 1/2, 10, 1776, 1941, 2010, not to mention Three, Seven, and Thirteen. Even though "9" is longer than "8 1/2", it's notable that "8 1/2" is still smaller!

I'm not the only one having a slow day at work!

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Terrance Howard did a good job in Hustle & flow and Crash. I think his performance in H&F was excellent he deserve to be there. There were no outstanding film this year so they just got some big shot that acted this year and put them up there.

Bless

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
aloofman said:
I'm not the only one having a slow day at work!
Then I guess I'll have to keep entertaining you.

Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Rick Kline and John Pritchett are nominated for Best Sound Mixing for Memoirs of a Geisha.

Here's the amazing part: Between them, these four men have a total of 41 Oscar nominations without a win! Many of those 41 overlap, since they collaborated on many films, but that's still a sure sign that they are very good at what they do, but not the best!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Doctor Q said:
Then I guess I'll have to keep entertaining you.

Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Rick Kline and John Pritchett are nominated for Best Sound Mixing for Memoirs of a Geisha.

Here's the amazing part: Between them, these four men have a total of 41 Oscar nominations without a win! Many of those 41 overlap, since they collaborated on many films, but that's still a sure sign that they are very good at what they do, but not the best!
It would be ironic if they decide not to hold that category and neither of them win.:p

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Anyone else think "Good Night, and Good Luck" was good?

Just saw it Tuesday. The critics spin it as "a good movie trying to be great", but I thought it was exceptional. Mostly black and white, it had appropriately placed songs, their intervals shown "on the air". I thought the camera work and pacing were well done. It probably requires a "being in the mood" to see it, but I think it was a very pertinent movie for the present day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.