Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular drugstores Walgreens and CVS are expected to partner with Apple on its upcoming mobile payments initiative, accepting purchases made with the company's new iPhone payment system, reports Re/code.
CVS and Walgreens are expected to accept purchases made with the new iPhone payment system, details of which Apple plans to announce Tuesday, according to a person briefed on the plans. With more than 15,000 locations combined, acceptance by the two chains will give Apple a huge footprint if all of their stores are involved.
Earlier this week, Apple was rumored to be partnering with retailer Nordstrom, leading to fears that its upcoming payments service would be limited to higher-end retailers, but it appears that Apple will also be aiming to sign deals with stores people visit regularly. As noted by Re/code, getting stores that people frequent on board could lead to quick acceptance of the new mobile payment service.

easypay_concept.jpg
EasyPay mobile payments concept by Ricardo Del Toro​
Re/code's report also divulges some information on how the system might work, allowing shoppers to "wave or tap" their iPhones at checkout terminals. The service is said to work over NFC, transmitting payment information from the phone when the device is near the store's checkout area. NFC may, however, be supplemented by other wireless technologies, and Touch ID is expected to be integrated into the system for added security.
Sources caution that Apple's payment system may in some cases employ additional wireless technologies either in conjunction with, or in place of, NFC. The new payment method will also likely include the use of fingerprint identification already available on the latest iPhones as an added security measure.
In addition to inking deals with various retailers to support the system, Apple has also established deals with major credit card companies Visa, MasterCard, and American Express, as well as credit card issuers.

Apple is expected to unveil its mobile payments service on Tuesday, along with the iPhone 6 and its much-anticipated wearable device. Both the iWatch and the iPhone 6 are said to play an important role in the new mobile payment service, as the two devices are rumored to include support for NFC.

Article Link: Walgreens, CVS Expected to Partner With Apple for Mobile Payments Service

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Sources caution that Apple's payment system may in some cases employ additional wireless technologies either in conjunction with, or in place of, NFC.

I hope this doesn't mean that you'd have to log on to the store's WiFi in order to process a transaction. That could open up a whole ugly can of worms.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I don't understand Apple's mobile payments service. Perhaps someone can explain it to me. I thought they signed on with the major credit card companies, so wouldn't you just use your iPhone in place of your credit card? What's the purpose of signing on these stores?

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
I don't understand Apple's mobile payments service. Perhaps someone can explain it to me. I thought they signed on with the major credit card companies, so wouldn't you just use your iPhone in place of your credit card? What's the purpose of signing on these stores?

Security because if these CC companies don't approve iPhone payment, any fraud committed because of the phone won't be protected by CC companies.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

The stores will need the modules that can accept this form of payment. Some stores already have NFC terminals, but this may go beyond that (the article says other wireless technologies. Maybe bluetooth/iBeacon? Who knows at this point..)

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
So if you are linking your major credit card wouldn't they be providing shops etc with equipment? What is the point if partnering with the individual retailers?

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Thankfully not long before we do.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Cool, two of my least favorite stores (I like CVS less than Walgreens, however).

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I need Walmart to get on this list because its the only place I'll be able to shop at after I drop the money for this phone.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Within five years you will be able to use a wearable to buy a loaf of bread just about anywhere, for about $20. For the loaf.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
The more proprietary this is, the less universal it will become. My hope is it will work with any terminal that can take NFC enabled cards and that is also compatible with Android phones, etc.

If Apple wants to enhance the functionality by integrating store loyalty cards, etc. on a retailer by retailer basis, I'm fine with that, but I hope basic payment functionality is widely available at any store that has an NFC enabled card reader.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
Can't wait to go gum-shopping wih my $400 watch.

LOL...buy some birthday cards too...

I would not buy an iWatch if it's not equipped with NFC or equivalent and Touch ID for authentication.
I saw people got hacked by contactless smart card scanner even when their credit cards are still in the purse or wallet. The guy with the contactless card scanner stands very close to the victim on the escalator and boom, her credit card got read and they used it to buy stuffs online.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

It's only rumor currently--no details actually known.

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
This is funny as I just used my Google Wallet at Walgreens. The cashier was amazed. Told her she'll here about it a lot next week. Driving to Meijer now and will use it there as well.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
That works well for me. I buy all my headphones, speaker systems, and blank cassettes at CVS.

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
I hope this doesn't mean that you'd have to log on to the store's WiFi in order to process a transaction. That could open up a whole ugly can of worms.

Umm, no. You swipe and go. You will need an Internet connection but it take so little data you don't need to worry about your data plan.

patrick001

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Boston
Can't wait to go gum-shopping wih my $400 watch.

This comment gives me the impression that you're missing the point. The convenience of using this watch will save you time in the long-run as you're doing your daily activities. You're not only investing in the watch but you're also investing in your time, so to speak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.