Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here come the Olympics!

As usual, there are amazingly gifted athletes converging for the Olympics Games. As usual, there will be overhyped stars (e.g., Bode Miller) who will grab headlines until others emerge as the surprise stars, the fun of watching athletes from so many countries, the thrill of victory, and the agony of the feet. Or something like that. :p

There will also be plenty of newspaper and magazine articles about what's going on, and sportscasters babbling on endlessly, some well-informed, some for whom the mute button will improve things.

And those annoying reports on the medal count. I'm fully prepared to complain, as I do every 2 years, when network TV shows medal ceremonies only when the U.S.A. wins gold. They still haven't figured out that I know MY country's anthem and would appreciate hearing some others once in a while.

Despite all the negatives, I can't help being thrilled at seeing the best in the world putting on this show. I'm staking out a good spot on the sofa, where I'll sit for 17 days straight without looking away from the tube.

Alpine skiing is usually my favorite, and all the regulars will be there: figure skating, ice hockey, speed skating, cross country, snowboarding, luge, etc. Too bad speed skiing didn't become an Olympic event.

Facts:

Olympic city: Turin, Italy

Opening ceremonies: Friday, February 10

Closing ceremonies: Sunday, February 26

Slogan: "Passion Lives Here"

Mascot #1: Neve, a snowball-headed cartoon character who seems to be related to the Cingular Wireless logo

Mascot #2: Gliz, whose head is an ice cube and who would probably get along with iGuy

A small event schedule is attached. Shading means an event being held, and "F" means the finals. I have yet to figure out how to match up the TV coverage schedule with the actual event times.

The full event schedule (lots of zooming required to read it) is here.

Attachments

• Olympics-Neve.jpg
    Olympics-Neve.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 380
  • Olympics-Gliz.jpg
    Olympics-Gliz.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 355
  • Olympic-Event-Schedule.jpg
    Olympic-Event-Schedule.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 185

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Aint that something.....only when the U.S.A wins they show the ceremony...well i guess if you want to see the other country stuff tune into that country station. I'm not really interested in the winter games but i'm bored so bring it on!

Bless

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I really enjoy the winter Olympics (maybe even more than the summer ones). I think it's because most of the sports are ones that we are rarely exposed to down here, so it's something different.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
My (step) cousin is going to be competing :D Louise Corcoran, on the New Zealand skeleton racing team...go NZ! :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
mariahlullaby said:
My (step) cousin is going to be competing :D Louise Corcoran, on the New Zealand skeleton racing team...go NZ! :p
Wow! Two days to go and we have a hero already. We'll have to make sure that all 66,666-or-so MacRumors are there waving banners and cheering for your cousin, at least in spirit. Go Louise!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
max_altitude said:
I really enjoy the winter Olympics (maybe even more than the summer ones). I think it's because most of the sports are ones that we are rarely exposed to down here, so it's something different.

I completely agree. I could watch curling for HOURS. It's so weird with the brooms and shoving of the thing and... it's just so neat!

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Dude. What's with these marshmallow headed things. They're not really going to put people in those, right?

God. New things to f*** up my dreams.

What human impulse possibly led to mascots? Whatever it is, it must be cousin to miming ...

malabars.gif

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I love the winter games. Mostly because Canada has a shot to be around the top of the medal count.

We're supposed to have a stellar group going this year too, I'm excited.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
WOOHOO!! Cannot WAIT for the Olympics to start!!! GO GRETCHEN BLEILER--she is my girl for the snowboarding GOLD!!! Of course I am pulling for Hannah Teter too, but Gretchen has been my favorite for SO long and she took the TOP SPOT for the womens team!!! :)

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Doctor Q said:
Wow! Two days to go and we have a hero already. We'll have to make sure that all 66,666-or-so MacRumors are there waving banners and cheering for your cousin, at least in spirit. Go Louise!

Haha, thanks!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
thedude110 said:
What human impulse possibly led to mascots?
Greed, or just good business sense. There's money to be made selling pins, T-shirts, stuffed animals, and other merchandise. And lots of people like that stuff.

Personally, I was rooting for a tauntaun from the planet Hoth to be the mascot.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
katie ta achoo said:
I completely agree. I could watch curling for HOURS. It's so weird with the brooms and shoving of the thing and... it's just so neat!

Curling's my favourite too! I love that little shimmy they do down the ice. :D

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
2nyRiggz said:
Aint that something.....only when the U.S.A wins they show the ceremony...well i guess if you want to see the other country stuff tune into that country station.

Bless

US TV turned me off actually watching the Olympics when the various networks insisted on things like Katerina Witt and Alberto TOmba meeting each other.
Too many "Up Close and Personal"'s, too much mouthing off by the announcers who have nothing to say. Above all, watching THREE 100 meter dashes and the rest of the time for commercials in a half hour is a RIDICULOUS waste of time. GOD I wish I had satelite feed. Better yet, wish I still lived in England... I watched EVERY match of ANY sport I wanted.
Commercial TV is a cancer.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'd like to see them swap the summer events with the winter events for a change. Imagine hurdles on ice. No, wait, imagine the javelin! Hammer throw? Ahh, it'd be so cool! :cool:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Go the Aussies in the Womens aerial freestyle!!!

If their knees all hold together we could go 1, 2, 3 with Alisa, Lydia and Jackie.

Alisa and Lydia are cuties too.

I wonder if the great Steven Bradbury can win again in the skating after last time when everybody else fell down and he went from last to first in the blink of an eye.

Torah Bright should hopefully put in a good show in the half pipe.

I'd like to see some of our skiers do well too. There are some medal chances in the team but I think the more we get into the top 20 the more the majority of the Aussie public will view these games as something other than a funny sideshow to the main even in the summer.

After last year I still can't sweep a floor without imagining someone at the other end of the room yelling "HARD!! HARD!!!!" at me...

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
With any luck, perhaps the ice dancing competition will not be embroiled in controversy as in prior years.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Synchronous swimming? What about a "Polar Bears club" event where people swim in freezing water, and the first one not to get sick or die wins!

If you die, you're obviously the loser....

Chundles said:
I wonder if the great Steven Bradbury can win again in the skating after last time when everybody else fell down and he went from last to first in the blink of an eye.

I think it happened in both the semi-finals AND the finals in his favour. I think it's a safe bet to say that Australia will never win a skating gold again. :p

katie ta achoo said:

That "thing" has a name. We Canadians call it the "big ass rock."

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Deepdale said:
With any luck, perhaps the ice dancing competition will not be embroiled in controversy as in prior years.

I agree. When I think of controversy, ice dancing always tops my list followed by illegal wiretapping of your citizens.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Abstract said:
I think it happened in both the semi-finals AND the finals in his favour. I think it's a safe bet to say that Australia will never win a skating gold again. :p

Yeah, he won the semi in similar fashion.

It was the semi that showed us that we can, whilst sliding backwards, on our arse, still beat New Zealand.

We'll win medals again, our speed skaters have done it before.
And we always beat Canada's arse in the summer olympics anyway.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Abstract said:
So what will happen this time? Maybe all the Aussie's competition will get food poisoning or something. ;)

MU HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

Maybe they will, maybe they will.......

Nah, it'll be a few more olympics before we get another skating medal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.