Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay is Apple's new mobile payments service, which it first debuted in September alongside the iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 Plus, and the Apple Watch. Apple Pay is expected to become widely available to consumers beginning in October, and ahead of its official release, we've gathered everything that's currently known about the service into a roundup so users can get an idea of what to expect.

With Apple Pay, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners will be able to make payments for goods and services with their iPhones, both in stores and within participating apps, using the NFC chip built into the devices. While Apple Pay will initially be restricted to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners, iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s users will also be able to take advantage of the service if they purchase an Apple Watch after it is released.

applepayroundup.jpg
Apple has described Apple Pay as the most secure payment solution available, as it uses Device Account Numbers rather than storing credit card numbers and keeps all payment information in a dedicated chip on the iPhone, called the Secure Element.

All payments are verified using Touch ID, which prevents someone who has stolen a device to make unauthorized purchases. Furthermore, if an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus is stolen, its ability to make payments can be disabled through Find My iPhone.

Apple has said that Apple Pay will be available beginning in October, enabled through an upcoming update to iOS 8.

The Apple Pay roundup, like all of our other roundups is accessible through a dedicated index page that shows a full list of all available roundups ordered by most recent update. The roundup is also accessible directly through the "Roundups" tab in the top navigation bar on all MacRumors pages.

Article Link: Apple Pay Roundup: Everything We Know, Coming in October

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I have a iPhone 5S, but don't want the watch. I wonder if I can still make online payments with it instead?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
While Apple Pay will initially be restricted to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners, iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s users will also be able to take advantage of the service if they purchase an Apple Watch after it is released.

LOL! It would probably be more cost-effective to upgrade to an iPhone 6 instead. Why spend money on an accessory to help you spend money?

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Come on Apple, if you can get the grocery store chains and gas stations on board with this, it will become the standard! I have this fear that Walmart will win with their standard, sigh.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
LOL! It would probably be more cost-effective to upgrade to an iPhone 6 instead. Why spend money on an accessory to help you spend money?

I was more excited when I seen the Apple Watch (I expected something really dumb for some reason) than I was for the new phones.

Desmondhuz

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Tried you use my Walgreens passbook card and the cashier said the scanning system was down. But I looked down and saw a brand new nfc device scanner and remember that Walgreens was listed by Apple as an initial client. I told her about Apple Pay, which she had no clue about, and how it would start next month. She asked if I worked for Walgreens and I told her "I'm just in the know...about such things."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 563

Desmondhuz

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Come on Apple, if you can get the grocery store chains and gas stations on board with this, it will become the standard! I have this fear that Walmart will win with their standard, sigh.

This is just the initial round of stores. More will jump on board if they see it's working and worth it. Best buy got burned with NFC the first time around but they didn't have Apple backing them then.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Tried you use my Walgreens passbook card and the cashier said the scanning system was down. But I looked down and saw a brand new nfc device scanner and remember that Walgreens was listed by Apple as an initial client. I told her about Apple Pay, which she had no clue about, and how it would start next month. She asked if I worked for Walgreens and I told her "I'm just in the know...about such things."

I've used Google Wallet at Walgreens. Our stores have had those newer style machines for a few months now.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
USA Only, so for Europe, as they haven't even talked about the possibility of doing it here, uninteresting.

We haven't even got iTunes Radio yet so we've got about as much chance of seeing Apple Pay as Steve Jobs presenting the next keynote in October :(

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Come on Apple, if you can get the grocery store chains and gas stations on board with this, it will become the standard!

^^ Agree. So far Whole Foods is the only one to do Google Wallet. I suspect more and more will go the NFC Route now that both OS's support the system.

hfuhruhurr

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Denver
As cool as this sounds, I don't understand how this is going to gain traction if it's limited to people with the latest iPhone or Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.