Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applewatch2-250x296.jpg
Apple is reportedly finalizing the details on its upcoming Apple Watch as it prepares to begin mass production of the device ahead of its launch early next year. Mass production of the smartwatch device may begin January 2015, reports Taiwanese news source AppleDaily (via G For Games).

According to the news report, Apple is working only with long-time manufacturing partner Quanta to produce the device. This contradicts an earlier report suggesting Quanta would be handling the bulk of the production with Inventec supplementing the supply.
Quanta has allegedly received Apple's heads-up and has begun making preparations (which involve increasing its worker head count to 4 million). Even more, it is said that Apple and Quanta have entered a deal which prohibits the Taiwanese company from manufacturing/assembling smartwatches for Apple's rival OEMs.
Inventec was among several assembly companies said to be vying for Apple Watch orders months ago, but Quanta may have won an exclusive arrangement due to the complexity associated with manufacturing the device.

Apple says its Watch is unlike any device it has ever made, with cutting edge sensor and haptic feedback technologies. Given the advanced features of the device, it's not surprising Apple has selected to work with only one manufacturer as it streamlines the production process, as others may have been unable to meet Apple's standards.

Relatively reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had previously reported that Apple was planning a November production ramp for the Apple Watch, so a shift to January could indicate Apple believes it needs a bit more time to finalize the product's design.

Apple is expected to begin selling the Watch starting in early 2015, with one insider saying Apple would be "lucky" to launch it in time for Valentine's Day on February 14. A production ramp beginning in January would indeed make it difficult for Apple to have significant quantities available in time for Valentine's Day purchases. The smartwatch will retail at a starting price of $349 for the base model, with several collections including 18-karat gold luxury options available at higher prices.

Article Link: Mass Production of Apple Watch Reportedly Slated for January 2015

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
that makes sense, they have to work out the OS before beginning any of that

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Ehh... As it stands right now, the Apple Watch is really not that appealing to me. I hope that from here to when it is released there's something else to it that makes me want to have it.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
So wait....4 million people are hired to produce Apple devices!!?

misterpip

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2011
i look forward to Late Winter/Early Spring keynotes. wwdc in june/Sep/Oct keynotes make the rest of the year seem so barren.

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
How are people on MacRumors so "meh" about the Watch? I'm betting on *much* more hype and marketing before the actual release/pre-order, so I'll also wager that all the "meh"s we're seeing now will flip soon enough.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Hmm....either a February 14th release or a March 20th release. Don't know where I got those, but I think those are good dates.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
So Ming-Chi Kuo is now "relatively reliable?" That's what <50% accuracy means now? :confused:

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/11/rumor-roundup-iphone-6-and-iwatch-retrospective/

This year he/she (dont know the gender) has been the most accurately (I know - not saying much) of all the ANALysts

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/09/kgi-iphone6-predictions/

iphone screen size - checked
Pixel densities - checked
iphone 6+ in short supply - checked
IOS Only on Iphone 6+ - checked
Apple Watch ship in 2015 - checked
iPhone 4/4s killed - checked
Iphone 6+ 64MB saphire - wrong

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
How are people on MacRumors so "meh" about the Watch? I'm betting on *much* more hype and marketing before the actual release/pre-order, so I'll also wager that all the "meh"s we're seeing now will flip soon enough.

What do find to be exciting and a must have outlook about it?

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I want one but I should wait for the second generation... Oh, boy...

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Meh... all that talk about Switzerland being 'in deep ****', they got nothing to worry about...

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I am wondering what the battery life will be like. It's got to be at least a day under moderate usage. Quite embarrassing having to take a timepiece off your wrist to charge it up halfway through the day

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Meh... all that talk about Switzerland being 'in deep ****', they got nothing to worry about...

If millions buy an Apple Watch, those people are less likely to buy a Swiss watch. I'm sure that their sales WILL go down. How much remains to be seen.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
Ehh... As it stands right now, the Apple Watch is really not that appealing to me. I hope that from here to when it is released there's something else to it that makes me want to have it.

You could just wait for the second version. Remember the difference between the original iPad and the iPad 2?

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
what I keep saying - put as much lip stick on this pig, it is just a piece of electronics made in china. That is not a dress watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.