Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 6 Plus is expected to account for 60% of total iPhone 6 device shipments as sales of the device are exceeding initial expectations, reports Digitimes. The information comes from industry sources observing parts shipments to longtime Apple suppliers Foxconn and Pegatron.

iphone6plus.jpg
Foxconn is said to be responsible for the production of the iPhone 6 Plus, while Pegatron is in charge of the iPhone 6. While parts shipments to both suppliers were even as the launch of both devices neared, Foxconn appears to have received more parts shipments for the iPhone 6 Plus as of late.

Apple announced last month that it opening weekend sales of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus topped ten million units, although the company did not specify how that number was divided between both units. Shipping estimates for new iPhone 6 orders remain at 7-10 business days, while the iPhone 6 Plus is still showing a shipping delay of 3-4 weeks.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Plus Reportedly Accounting for 60% of Total iPhone 6 Device Shipments

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
Expected but doubt it. It took me 2 weeks to get mines but I think Apple underestimate demand for iPhone 6 plus, I do believe Phone 6 should be selling more as it's more realistically easy to hold.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
What is clear at this point is that the core usability considerations of iOS will need to change to accomodate the larger screen because currently it's not great.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
What about the catastrophic bending design flaw though?

Only 9 customers and only idiots would actually try and bend thier device. You don't see Pepsi or Coke giving refunds for you carrying a bottle of drink your pocket and sat on it and break it. Everything breaks and bend some even have #Gaps so we just need to be smart with our device.

MrDom74

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Australia
Absolutely the 6+ is better, not at all surprised they sell better than the regular 6.

Happily using my new 6+, yes it was replaced today - there was a hardware problem - but the new one is fantastic :cool:

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I think half of the Plus sales have been to all the bloggers, website owners and journalists wanting to do their own "exclusive" bendgate features. I do wonder where half the article writers are actually managing to get their Plusses from.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I'm sure this phone is doing really well, but I highly doubt the 60% number. I'm quite pleased that my Sept 19 preorder that was supposed to deliver between Oct 17-27 is being delivered today! Verizon 6+ 128GB Space Gray model.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Holy mackerel, I would have guessed it would have been 70/30 in favour of the 6!

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Thats insane. I skipped upgrading this gen, for the first time ever, due to both models being to large. Im amazed it sells so well, but also sad, because I guess this may be the end for the smaller models. Id prefer 4" and even 3,5" over these.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I'm sure this phone is doing really well, but I highly doubt the 60% number. I'm quite pleased that my Sept 19 preorder that was supposed to deliver between Oct 17-27 is being delivered today! Verizon 6+ 128GB Space Gray model.

You doubt it based on what

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Love the 6 plus, love the leather case and love the top and bottom bezels as the make it easy to hold whilst not obscuring the display.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
This is such a dumb analysis and conclusion.

Demand for the Plus was clearly underestimated by Apple, the product forecasting team got it wrong, so bigger orders for parts now just means they are playing catchup with demand.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Thats insane. I skipped upgrading this gen, for the first time ever, due to both models being to large. Im amazed it sells so well, but also sad, because I guess this may be the end for the smaller models. Id prefer 4" and even 3,5" over these.

I personally think 4,7" is the sweetspot (I currently own both 4" iPhone 5s and 5" Nexus 5, love both, but think iPhone is a bit too small and Nexus a little bit too large/wide).

That said - I absolutely hope Apple in the future releases 4" "iPhone mini" for those, who will never want a large phone.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Well I had the iPhone 6 plus and switched to the iPhone 6 and im happy as can be.

While the iPhone 6 plus screen was amazing, the size of the phone was a lil overkill for me.

The iPhone 6 is the perfect size. Makes my old 5S look tiny.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Only 9 customers and only idiots would actually try and bend thier device. You don't see Pepsi or Coke giving refunds for you carrying a bottle of drink your pocket and sat on it and break it. Everything breaks and bend some even have #Gaps so we just need to be smart with our device.

If you believe only 9 customers complained then you're naive. If I had a bent iPhone I'm returning that sucker for another reason. Just the 16GB model alone is $750 and I wouldn't want to be stuck with a bent phone. I made the mistake of telling Apple that I replaced their faulty battery in my wife's iPhone 5. They refused to touch my phone due to unauthorized repairs. So yes; I would not say one word about a bent iPhone when making my return.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Now that's interesting statistic !
Wish Apple would release the sales data more detailed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.