Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Demand for the iPhone in China is strong, with reservations for the iPhone 6 reaching four million in just one day, reports Chinese media outlet Tencent. This figure tops the two million in six hours reported yesterday and is based on information provided directly by the companies processing reservations on China.

iphone6-stock-photo.jpg
According to reservation company Jingdong, reservations are almost evenly split between the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. The iPhone 6 Plus has accounted for 1,189,083 reservations, edging out the iPhone 6 with 1,106,379 reservations. Apple announced earlier this week that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will go on sale in China starting October 17.

A recent report from Digitimes claims the iPhone 6 Plus may account for 60 percent of Apple's total iPhone 6 device shipments, although usage numbers so far have been skewing heavily in favor of the smaller iPhone 6. Demand for the 5.5-inch model has, however, exceeded supply so far, with the device quickly going out of stock shortly after launch. Shipping estimates for the iPhone 6 Plus are still showing a delay of 3-4 weeks, while the iPhone 6 is available in 7-10 business days in the US and a number of European countries.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Reservations in China Top Four Million

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Goes to show you that iOS users really did want a bigger screen and that 5.5" was a good choice by Apple.

They're selling!

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Great news! Shows how ineffective the "bendgate" shills have been, and what great products the new Apple phones are—universally around the globe.

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
Unbox Therapy: wait for Samesung to come knocking on your door wanting that pay-check back.....

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Demand for the iPhone in China is strong, with reservations for the iPhone 6 reaching four million in just one day, reports Chinese media outlet Tencent. This figure tops the two million in six hours reported yesterday and is based on information provided directly by the companies processing reservations on China.

According to reservation company Jingdong, reservations are almost evenly split between the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. The iPhone 6 Plus has accounted for 1,189,083 reservations, edging out the iPhone 6 with 1,106,379 reservations. Apple announced earlier this week that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will go on sale in China starting October 17.

A recent report from Digitimes claims the iPhone 6 Plus may account for 60 percent of Apple's total iPhone 6 device shipments, although usage numbers so far have been skewing heavily in favor of the smaller iPhone 6. Demand for the 5.5-inch model has, however, exceeded supply so far, with the device quickly going out of stock shortly after launch. Shipping estimates for the iPhone 6 Plus are still showing a delay of 3-4 weeks, while the iPhone 6 is available in 7-10 business days in the US and a number of European countries.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Reservations in China Top Four Million

Can someone please update this post with numbers that lend credence to the 4 million estimate? This post is in serious need of clarity. The reservation agency shows 2.2 million. Was that the first 6 hours or the was that the entire day? If it was the first 6 hours, what are the additional reservation numbers that drive the total to "top 4 million"? Why not post the numbers showing the over 4 million instead of posting numbers suggesting half of that?

Too much in this post is leaving the reader to guess what really happened. :confused:

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Wow. Amazing numbers.

Looking forward to the figures they release at the Earnings Report on 20th October.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Can someone please update this post with numbers that lend credence to the 4 million estimate? This post is in serious need of clarity. The reservation agency shows 2.2 million. Was that the first 6 hours or the was that the entire day? If it was the first 6 hours, what are the additional reservation numbers that drive the total to "top 4 million"? Why not post the numbers showing the over 4 million instead of posting numbers suggesting half of that?

Too much in this post is leaving the reader to guess what really happened. :confused:

I don't understand why people don't make the logical conclusion that the reservations totalling two million are probably from the first few hours mentioned in the article. It seems pretty clear to me.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

This article was a follow-up from a previous article that stated the 2 million sold in six hours. Now they have more data for the entire day. This still does not include apples launch on the 10.these are just numbers from the carriers just jumping the gun

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Wow. Amazing numbers.

Looking forward to the figures they release at the Earnings Report on 20th October.

And these sales won't even be in their earnings report on October 20th -- these will be included in their holiday quarter earnings report for Fiscal Q1 2015. I think that Apple had a good Fiscal Q4 2014 (we will find out on Oct 20th), but I think that Fiscal Q1 2015 (the current holiday quarter) is going to be insanely huge.

I stopped by a local Apple Store yesterday to pickup a gift card for my niece's birthday. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have been on sale here in the USA for about 2 weeks now and there was still a line out the door and around the corner of the store for a recent shipment of iPhones that was received that day. I did not expect to still see lines forming, but they are there. The iPhone 6 is not losing momentum, it is gaining momentum. During launch weekend I could find iPhone 6 units in stock at my local Apple stores using "check availability" function on the website. The last 3 or 4 days when I decided to check again, I see that every model is sold out. These lines that are still forming at the stores are the reason why. As soon as more come in they are immediately sold.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Wow. Amazing numbers.

This iPhone 6 plus really sold out fast with the preorders, and not because Apple kept the supply low. The Demand was just under estimated and I would even venture to guess that alot of people got the iPhone 6 simply because the plus was not available.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
I don't understand why people don't make the logical conclusion that the reservations totalling two million are probably from the first few hours mentioned in the article. It seems pretty clear to me.

A logical conclusion can be made from numbers totaling ~4 million. Neither the source material nor MR's post indicates anything you said. What you did was jump to a conclusion with no corroborating evidence. This clarity you speak of, what are you basing it on? A hunch? Can't be from any proof you read in the post, because no where in the post does it say the 2 million from the first 6 hours were added to the actual numbers from the reservations. Unless I missed it.:rolleyes:

My point was less about the number (which I actually don't care about) and more about a post from MR that is convoluted and needs to be updated to explain the numbers properly. That way, you can remove the probably from your quote. As it stands, you just guessed.;)

I actually took the time to find the source of the 4 million. Which I think MR should have done as well.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
This article was a follow-up from a previous article that stated the 2 million sold in six hours. Now they have more data for the entire day. This still does not include apples launch on the 10.these are just numbers from the carriers just jumping the gun

I don't doubt what you say is true. That's not my problem. It's the way the OP was written. It's convoluted. Title says 4 million, numbers in post add up to 2 million, and the readers are left to guess where the rest comes from. That's pretty shoddy.

It would have been easy for MR to say the 4 million comes from the carriers (1 million), from social channels like Suning, Dixon Pass, and others (1 million), and from Jingdong (2.2 million consisting of 1.1 iP6's and 1.18 iP6+).

If I can take a cursory glance at the source material and give you all the numbers, I expect no less of MR. Neither should you.:)

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
A logical conclusion can be made from numbers totaling ~4 million. Neither the source material nor MR's post indicates anything you said. What you did was jump to a conclusion with no corroborating evidence. This clarity you speak of, what are you basing it on? A hunch? Can't be from any proof you read in the post, because no where in the post does it say th 2 million from the first 6 hours were added to the actual numbers from the reservations. Unless I missed it.:rolleyes:

My point was less about the number (which I actually don't care about) and more about a post from MR that is convoluted and needs to be updated to explain the numbers properly. That way, you can remove the probably from your quote. As it stands, you just guessed.;)

Uh-huh.

This figure tops the two million in six hours reported yesterday and is based on information provided directly by the companies processing reservations on China.

According to reservation company Jingdong, reservations are almost evenly split between the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. The iPhone 6 Plus has accounted for 1,189,083 reservations, edging out the iPhone 6 with 1,106,379 reservations.

Let's see. We have the two million mentioned as being reported yesterday. We have the reference to companies processing reservations giving this information. And then we have a reference to a company giving information on their reservations.

No, it's really not as difficult to put together as you're claiming. It's bare bones logic.

kdarling

macrumors P6
These are not preorders.

Although I'm sure the 6 will do well, it should be noted that these are not preorders.

They're simply reservations for a place in line, to later be put on a waiting list so that you can then preorder the phone.

It allows the carriers to get a feel for what device models will be most popular.

It's common for poor people to reserve places in line, hoping to sell them to others.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Uh-huh.

Let's see. We have the two million mentioned as being reported yesterday. We have the reference to companies processing reservations giving this information. And then we have a reference to a company giving information on their reservations.

No, it's really not as difficult to put together as you're claiming. It's bare bones logic.

No this is bare bones logic:
It would have been easy for MR to say the 4 million comes from the carriers (1 million), from social channels like Suning, Dixon Pass, and others (1 million), and from Jingdong (2.2 million consisting of 1.1 iP6's and 1.18 iP6+).

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Although I'm sure the 6 will do well, it should be noted that these are not preorders.

They're simply reservations for a place in line, to later be put on a waiting list so that you can then preorder the phone.

It allows the carriers to get a feel for what device models will be most popular.

It's common for poor people to reserve places in line, hoping to sell them to others.

If you were referring to another company other than Apple, fine, good analysis. But this is Apple we're talking about. Their iPhones always sell very well, and there is no reason to doubt that of the 4 million pre-orders, 99.9% will actually be sold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.