17inch iMacs and no PowerMacs

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 9, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

CNet provides rumors about the upcoming MacWorld Expo NY 2002:

Apple Computer plans to serve up a new iMac model with a larger flat-panel display during next week's Macworld Expo trade show, according to sources.

The article further states that:

- Jaguar will be a focus and "may deliver surprise news on how soon the OS will be ready".
    - New version of iTunes supporting MPEG-4
    - And no new PowerMacs... but possibly updated in Mid August.
    - PowerMac swith processors in excess of 1.2GHz, faster memory, and bus

2. macrumors 6502

Moonlight

17" ?

Do we really need a 17" flat panel iMac ? By moving to the LCD we gained 2" already in monitor real estate, why add more so soon when what we need is faster powermacs !!!

3. macrumors 6502

[pout] Oh phoooe! I want my G5! [/pout]

4. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Uhhh....

CNet is stupid.

I dont think the 17in iMac is THAT bad of an idea, but saying that about the towers is just plain dumb.

I mean, the XServe is DDR and has 120GB drives, so that should go for the PMac too!!!

5. macrumors newbie

Lol

So we go from rumors of Dual 1.4 Ghz, to no new Powermacs at all? Wow, that's a drastic 180 turn...

-E

6. macrumors newbie

iznAdiznam

Blacklisted

Rumors huh? I guess this means CNet will be denied Expo press access, huh?

Yeah right!

Double standard???

Adam

7. macrumors 6502a

this supports my Display conclusion that new Power Macs wont happen until after august 12th and will come with Jaguar included. Apple has to get rid of its current PowerMacs that just arent selling as well as they should be by offering huge rebates on the monitors. Hey maybe by then Firewire 2 and USB 2 or even a new Superdrive will be included in the new PowerMacs

8. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Not having faster powemacs would be a huge mistake for apple! XServe has DDR and I'm sure thats going in with a faster processor, this sounds like a alot of BS. I thought MPEG 4 was for quick time not iTunes, I don't their story is right at all.

9. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Uh, Duh?

Apple isn't selling G4s because people want a newer FASTER G4! Hello, is this getting through to Steve Jobs yet?

We need more power to run Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop on OS X, not because we are whiny ninnys.

GIVE US NEW G4s @ 1.4 Ghz and 166 MHz DDR RAM!! Now!! THAT is what we want to buy, not last years G4!!

10. macrumors 65816

Of course if Apple is sitting on a glut of G4 towers, they would not want to release the new model.

However, I do not believe this latest rumor. Apple has to know they need to make some progress and putting this off till August would essentially mean crappy sales till August.

11. MOM
    macrumors member

imac=cube

Going to a 17" imac brings the flat panel to a more intermediate position between the eMac and the pro line. In effect the iMac is becoming what the cube was trying for and the eMac is taking the place of the old low-end iMac. Not a bad strategy in this economy.

MOM

12. macrumors newbie

Steve disinformation

The CNet article sounds like a Steve Jobs misdirection play. The .mac part especially smacks of Steve. It's just a goof on .net. How hard is it to change a few screens on a Jaguar beta? Just remember: Steve hates leaks!

13. macrumors regular

Yep a BIG mistake if this is true! Unless they up the cpu speed also in the Imac too, like to the 933mhz chip. The do away with the 800mhz tower.

Anyone buy a Xserve yet? I was kinda wondering, tip it on it's side and you have a "new" tower :]

*heh*

Oh well...maybe in August ...

14. macrumors 6502

Check out http://www.apple.com/mpeg4/aac/ for stuff about the relationship of AAC and MPEG-4 - iTunes will probably be updated to support 'mp4' (AAC), which compresses music at the same sound quality as CDs, into something smaller than an MP3! I'm all for it... can't wait for the iPod firmware update. Then I can't wait to sit down and re-compress all 230 of my CDs.... erk.

15. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    this is disinformation at its finest...

what a load of shinola...no new powermacs...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It is nice to see Apple is focusing on it's consumer lines for once, giving the iMac a true high end consumer status if the 17" is introduced. I personally think that Apple should introduce the 17" iMac and discontinue the 15" model, because for the price it conflicts with the new eMac. The eMac should offer the current 700MHz with a combo drive and an 800MHz with a Super drive. The iMac needs to be moved to a 933MHz processor with the 17" flat panel and a SuperDrive. There is no reason to over lap models. It only causes confusion. Oh yeah and discontinue the G3 iMac. It really adds confusion. If you really need a $700 computer then make a base line eMac with a G3. It just would all make more sense.

As far as the pro-line is concerned Apple really needs to get it's act together. It is letting it's pro-line go like it did to the consumer line last year, before the new iMacs, eMacs, and iBooks came out, but they have gotten their act together on the e and i lines, so I can't imagine that the Power line would be very far behind.

17. macrumors 68020

Beej

17" iMacs? Hmmm... not sure about that one...

But not seeing new PowerMacs until mid August (12th or later) doesn't sound too bad to me. It is not unusual for Apple to announce a product at a MW and release it a little while later when production is motoring along.

In this case, Apple could announce new PowerMacs on the 17th and release them on the 13th, just under a month later.

18. macrumors newbie

Start an email campaign

I really hope that this rumor is untrue. Sure, 17" iMacs would be nice, but a lack of G4 update seems suicidal.

Apple says they want people to switch to the Mac. The bottom line though is that the G4 is years behind. The Athlon processor was released in 1998, and was shortly followed by FSB speeds as fast as 200MHz. DDR Ram enjoyed its first widespread use on the original GeForce cards from nVidea around the same time period.

Bottom line: Apple's current G4 lineup still relies on architectural components that are 3 to 4 years behind their x86 counterparts. Yes, G4 has some architectural advantages, altivec, more data paths, etc... But it is absured that Apple is still poking along with a slow FSB and PC133 SDRAM.

They complain about having high inventory. Their inventory is high because people need more out of their machines, and Apple isn't cutting it. If they want to sell, they're going to have to compete. How is it that Moore's Law applies to everyone but Apple?! Ridiculous.

Let's all start a mass email campaign, and demand that Apple deliver on some truly modern hardware to go along with their incredibly modern and amazing OS. Let Steve know that we need this now, not months from now! I would even be satisfied if they keep their clock speeds constant and add DDR and a faster FSB!

As it is now, $3000 for a machine with PC133 and a slow bus seems crazy when you consider the alternatives. No wonder they're having a hard time moving their inventory.

If you ask me, I say that Apple should dump Motorola, and port everything to Clawhammer. At least AMD is making an effort to innovate, and they can produce in volume with incredible pricepoints.

</rant>

19. macrumors regular

I could see this happening. Apple has a new device to release at MW and their new stance is to release stuff when it's ready. So maybe the rumor about the enclosures was right on, because Apple isn't releasing new towers until August?

20. macrumors newbie

Re: Steve disinformation

I sure hope you're right!

21. macrumors member

Consumer point of view...

Aloha.

If the premise is that Apple is holding off releasing the "new" powermacs in an effort to spur sales of the current G4, I say "kiss my big fat 'O'kole" because if consumers (like me) didn't buy with the recent rebate, we sure the hell ain't gonna buy without the rebate. The new rebate for purchase with Apple flat panel displays appeals to such a small percentage of people. So IMHO, this argument is old poi...

Second, if Apple wants to appeal to the PC consumer and are trying to entice people to make the jump from PC to Apple (like me) they better do it now while the interest is peaking. I will seriously reconsider my purchase if I gotta wait till August...however I still will not purchase a current model G4....

This rumour is purely a marketing ploy.

BUT!!....Just in case.... living in Hawaii requires us "local folk" to look at the "sunnyside" of things...at least we know that new powermacs are on the way.....the weather is good here... I guess I might just have a little more time to go surfing this month..:cool:

iamspooky::D

22. macrumors newbie

Re: Consumer point of view...

I completely agree. I've already been waiting since June. I sold my PC in June, and I'm currently using an ancient PII-200 that a friend let me borrow. I can't take this much longer, but I will reconsider my decision to purchase a Mac if I have to hold out until August. If they don't do something for me, I am going to be very, very disappointed in Apple.

23. macrumors newbie

Whoa, wait a minute boys and girls

Hold on before everyone jumps to conclusions! I think I have figured it out!

Apple cannot slap the hands of someone like CNet for publishing rumors. Same goes for the other big boys with their legal defense teams. They can smack the smaller sites around all day long. Well, Apple is, I think, playing a brilliant card here. Cannot beat them with a legal argument in posting rumors, but what if they print the wrong rumors?! They look bad for not only publishing rumors, but really bad for publishing completely wrong rumors!

I must hand it to them this time, if this is what they are up to! Kick butt thinking. If you cannot beeat them with the standard tools, be a little different and creative!

At least, this way they might be trying to keep the big/small guy playing field a little more fair...

-jason

24. macrumors 6502

I have to agree with this - I need a new Pro machine desperately, but I sure as hell am NOT going to buy the current dual-gig! They want to get rid of inventory? Take $800 off the top-end one, and NOT require you to buy a display along with it! A LOT of pros are NOT buying towers right now because 'signs' point to there being an UPDATE at this Macworld Expo.

If this is true, it's going to be yet another terrible MWNY. Last year's was awful too. Good thing I didn't have my company pay for a SuperPass, I'd feel terribly guilty. "So what's the new stuff?" "New? Nothing. Same old crap, just recycled with a little 'marketing hardware' added..."

It seems like they really can't afford to delay the introduction of new Pro machines longer than the expo - if they do, they'd better sure as hell give a SOLID SHIP date. I can totally see some jaded professionals walk out of the keynote and ordering an Alienware PC directly from Apple's computers on their floor space!

25. macrumors member

Until there is a good enough PowerMac (i.e., at least a dual 1.4 GHz G4 with DDR RAM), I am definitely not going to buy another PowerMac. Are you listening Steve? You won't have my sale until maybe MacWorld SF 2003.

If the Dual 1.4 GHz G4 with DDR comes out, Steve, you'll have two purchases from me. The Dual 1.4 GHz G4 now, then the G5 in 2003. If there isn't a dual 1.4 GHz G4, I'll just sit tight with a USED until the G5. Are you listening Steve?

I will not buy the Dual 1GHz G4 model because it is only twice as fast as the ORIGINAL single 500 Mhz G4 which debuted in August 1999, fully 3 years ago. All you have to do is look at Apple's own specs using Final Cut Pro!!!

A dual 1.4 GHz G4 with DDR RAM, hopefully will at least be three times faster than the 1999 model. Even then, I don't even call it a new generation of desktop computer. A new generation, in my book, is at least FOUR times faster. Then you won't get use to the speed as easily, wanting for more.

When Apple transitioned from the Quadra 660AV with 25 MHz 68030 to the 132 MHz PowerPC 604 in 1996, that was a huge EIGHT times jump in speed. You could get high just playing with the computer then.

The transition from the 132 MHz PowerPC to the 400 MHz G3 was a smaller but still great jump in speed, particularly as memory prices came down and you could outfit the PowerMac with 256 MB of RAM. For Photoshop, it was a noticeable, almost four-fold increase in speed.

It's disappointing that the recent jumps in speed have become ever so smaller as the chip clockspeed has gone up.