18 to 23 Get ready for the Draft in 2nd Term

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PalmHarborTchr, Mar 16, 2004.

1. PalmHarborTchr macrumors member

If Bush is elected in November, get ready to see Iraq whether you want to or not.
    Head of Selective Service interviewed says they are getting the draft
    all ready to go, so if you want Bush for another four long years,
    get ready for the draft board.....they especially will want people with
    technical skills. Not registered to vote yet? Go do it now. Oh, by the
    way the Army does not permit iPods worn on duty. :confused:

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I just turned 18 years old, and I am going to vote for Bush in 2004. I would rather serve my country than vote for a president that will render us defenseless against foreign attacks, and allow innocent Americans to be killed.

The world is a nasty place, and gets worse by the second. If somebody doesn't go in soon to clean things up, then we're going to have a mess on our hands with countries like N. Korea, Cuba, Iran, and others doing what they want, regardless of international treaties.

I will show pride for my country, and vote for Bush, whether or not it means I'll have to enlist or not. I won't dodge the draft by voting for somebody who will promise that I won't get drafted.

I really think the 2004 election will show the true colors of Americans, and I certainly hope that they're red white and blue, and not yellow...

Edit: oh yeah, and with the nature of the original post in this thread, I would think it belongs in political discussion...

3. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I'm just as anti-bush as the next guy, but I think you're going a little overboard here.

I assume this is the article you are referring to...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/164693_draft13.html

They are very clear that the possibility of a draft is a remote

Of course, I see your fear, because this draft would be a "special services draft" targeting linguists and computer experts. I didn't realize we could get drafted for non-physical skills...kinda scary.

4. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

A draft would have to be voted for by both Houses of Congress, and signed by the President before it can even start. Not that easy to do especially with the favorite tactic of the opposing party to tack on poison pill amendments.

Also, its much better to fight a battle in your enemy's backyard, than in your own backyard. That way, you don't have to clean up after yourself, though with the United States' penchant for paying for the rebuilding process, this might be a moot point. :eek:

5. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I'm of age and I'll also be voting for Bush in 2004. I am not affraid to serve my country. We have many freedoms that a lot of people take for granted. If your reason for voting against Bush is because you don't want to be drafted (and would rather dodge) then I think you need to reevaluate your reasons for living in the US. Both of my parents were Marines and I would be proud to serve my country in a time of need.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

That is what they always say about the Draft. In reality, it will take a lot of legislation, plus, we won't need any more soldiers in Iraq after July 1. With that, Iraq will begin to replace out Troops with Iraqi troops. In the end there will be a small contingent of soldiers left for security in sensitive areas for a few years, then the US will have a nice Alli have two or three bases, maybe, and then most of the troops will be home.

As I was saying This time Last year... -Free Iraq-

The job is done, now it is time to help to rebuild, and create a free and democratic Iraq. By 2006 they will elect their first "New" President, and all will be well in the world.

Vote Bush 2004

Lose Cheney

TEG

7. vwcruisn macrumors regular

Not to be rude or anything, but if you are so gung ho about the war and fighting for your country for a reason you feel is justified, then why are you still here? Get the f*&% to Iraq NOW so that the people who don't believe in it will not be FORCED to fight and die for an unjust cause.

8. vwcruisn macrumors regular

Yes, the "freeing" or Iraq will make the world perfect. Keep dreaming my friend.

9. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Well, the old saying does go something like, it is far better to lose a war to the US than to anyone else.

10. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I'm going to college right now because I'm going to be working in the civilian work force of the US. Other people choose to go out and serve and don't want to work in the civilan work force(either at this current time or ever). You can't have everyone go and serve otherwise you'd have no one here! I'll be working in the civilian world but if it comes to the point that my country needs me, then i'll have to make that transition and I won't mind because I know that there are many people who have served for my freedom already.

11. vwcruisn macrumors regular

well if they are thinking about imposing the draft, then your country needs you. are you saying you will only serve when forced to?

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

please point me to the kerry platform item that says he's weak on terror

btw, i'm enjoying your 18-year-old sloganeering

13. vwcruisn macrumors regular

Maybe it was his combat duty in vietnam that makes him yellow? Wait no, that can't be it. Hmm, I would paint dubya as yellow as he decided not to fight in the war.

The real cowards are those who are for the Iraq war, and possibility of a draft, and are not there fighting (much like dubya during vietnam).

14. PalmHarborTchr thread starter macrumors member

You are ideal....the kind of teen who has seen every war movie and
    cannot wait to die for his country (actually Exxon). Bush left us defenseless
    pal....we gave him the FBI, Secret Service, NSA, CIA, et al and he
    was warned on the 8th of August that this attack would occur and instead
    of putting the military on alert.......he went on Vacation for a month
    in Texas.......when he was told the two planes hit the WTC, he replied,"is
    it the terrorists?" He sat here in Florida in a third grade class for another
    twenty minutes before he left. I guarantee you that if the garbage truck
    had hit the teachers car out in the parking lot of that school she would have
    been out there in 2 minutes. If this had happened on Clinton's watch
    I guarantee you the military meat heads in Camp Pendleton would have been blaming him. Oh, by the way when the first hit on the WTC occured,
    the terrorists were captured and are now serving very very long sentences
    in Prison..........Ben Laden is stll at large. I hope the climate agrees with
    you.

15. crookedcharlie macrumors member

I still think this line of thinking is hysterical. Here's a quick quiz: Of the two candidates, one of them has ALREADY allowed the US to be attacked and let innocent Americans be killed.

Hint: It's not Kerry.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I see. You think that because Bush invaded Iraq, we're winning the war on terror. Or that our aggression is a preventative measure.

Kinda like, if after Pearl Harbor, FDR attacked Trinidad & Tabago instead of declaring war on Japan.

And you seem to think that in order to defend our population we'll need to stretch our military so thin that a draft would be acceptable.

Kind of like the US waging a war of aggression in defiance of international standards? Yeah, someone's going to have to clean us up alright.

Voting against this awful administration is not the act of a draft dodger, it's the act of a conscientious citizen who knows bad policy when he sees it.

I love your implication that one must vote for Bush to show pride in his country, BTW.

John Kerry's yellow?

While Bush was busy avoiding overseas service, John Kerry was getting shot at.
    And shot. Three times.

Yup, sounds like there's a real chicken**** somewhere in the pair.

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

"you can get anything you want...
    at Alice's restaurant..."

I haven't heard any candidates that are pro-terrorism, pro-American deaths, or anti-defense. This is silly.

I guess if the draft returns I'll just have to learn how to speak Canadian. :cool:

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Anyone named Bush, of course, will be at the back of the line...until they're removed.

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Ever read the book "The Mouse That Roared"?

20. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Bush/Rice 2004... just to p!$$ off some female senator from New York that has presidential aspirations. :p

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i would not like to see a draft since it would put unwilling people out there on the battlefield and vietnam showed us how that could split a nation

the draft would, however, not only increase the numbers of available soldiers, but extend the depth of skills and intellect of the army as a whole

our top high school and college grads choose better and higher paying options than the military so a draft would undoubtedly get some of those who are in the top percentiles in their respective fields

a better skilled army with those top intellects would decrease mistakes and perhaps save lives and in this respect, i think a draft would be better...but one could argue that those who are drafted and unwilling could be prone to more mistakes and thus higher casualties...i think the former is more likely

22. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

The problem with the draft during vietnam was that tours of duty were for a set time frame. I think tours were for a year, and after a year, you get to rotate back stateside, or get discharged from the service. Unfortunately, this comes at a bad time when the veteran has just become experienced, and future draftees would be better served by fighting alongside the seasoned veterans so that they do not have to learn the same mistakes, mistakes that have cost the fellow soldiers of the seasoned veteran their lives.

In WW2, tours of duty were not for a set time frame. Quickest way home was through Berlin. (Quickest way home is by winning the war, and ending it.)

23. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Okay... one quick thought...

Should females be eligible for the draft, same as males?
    I think yes.

24. evil macrumors 6502

25. PalmHarborTchr thread starter macrumors member

If Bush gets elected....you will be free to agree with him or ?

I can tell you he has all kinds of things planned but nothing good unless
    you have the following addresses: Palm Beach, Pebble Beach, Carmel,
    La Jolla, Del Mar, Beverly Hills et al.

He is appearing in Orlando, Florida onthe 20th of March, 15000 tickets
    will be given.........IF YOU ARE A REGISTERED MEMEMBER OF THE
    REPUBLICAN PARTY......this is no joke...you must be a registered
    republican.....oh, and don't forget your jackboots and brownshirt.