Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Actor Christian Bale is in talks to play the leading role in the upcoming Steve Jobs biopic being produced by Sony, reports Variety. Leonardo DiCaprio was originally in talks to play Jobs, but withdrew from negotiations earlier this month.

Penned by Aaron Sorkin, the Steve Jobs biopic was originally set to be directed by "The Social Network" director David Fincher, who was said to be in talks with Sony earlier this year, but the director title went to Danny Boyle instead, who also directed the hit movie "Slumdog Millionaire."

christianbale.jpg
When David Fincher was still attached to the project, he reportedly was hoping to cast Christian Bale in the lead role due to his undeniable resemblance to the former CEO. Christian Bale is also known for his ability to adapt to roles, shedding and gaining weight as necessary to accurately portray characters.

Ashton Kutcher famously starred as Steve Jobs in the "JOBS" movie that focused on the former Apple CEO's younger years, but the Sony film will be quite different, using material from Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography. The film, which has yet to receive a release date, will focus on three separate 30-minute scenes depicting three of Apple's product launches.

Article Link: Christian Bale in Talks to Star in Sony's Steve Jobs Film

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I guess I can see it.

And David Fincher isn't directing anymore? Only reason I wanted to see it was because Fincher and Sorkin make a great writer/director pair.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I always thought Bale would be good at the part because he can bring that certain intensity to the role that SJ was known for.

tyasjs

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
Oooo, I can definitely see him doing a GREAT job on portraying as Steve Jobs! Great actor.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
With the exception of the facial hair, I don't really see the resemblance. Honestly feel that Noah Wyle was a great fit in the past.

But there is more in acting, and a performance than just looks. Hopefully his known skill will make it an awesome role.

cnixon

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
Whenever I think about what a good Steve Jobs movie would be, I always have visions of "There Will Be Blood"....

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I think one of the biggest problems with these movies coming out about Steve is that Steve passed away not too long ago and because of that everyone still has a pretty fresh image and opinion in their mind of him. I think a movie about his life would be much better if it were made and released 5-10 years from now or longer when we didn't all still have that fresh image in our minds of Steve.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How many more of these movies can be made? Seriously.
How many movies have there been about all kinds of random people? Why does it matter?

----------

I think one of the biggest problems with these movies coming out about Steve is that Steve passed away not too long ago and because of that everyone still has a pretty fresh image and opinion in their mind of him. I think a movie about his life would be much better if it were made and released 5-10 years from now or longer when we didn't all still have that fresh image in our minds of Steve.
Facebook movie did rather well, and those people are still alive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.