Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chrome and Firefox users that install OS X Yosemite are receiving notifications suggesting they give Safari a try, according to multiple reports on Twitter (via Tom Davenport). After upgrading to Yosemite, Apple is sending popups that read "Try the new Safari. Fast, energy efficient, and with a beautiful new design."

The interactive notification comes with "Later" and "Try Now" options, and it seems that users may be receiving the messages when opening Chrome or Firefox for the first time after installing the operating system update.

trythenewsafari.png

Apple made several updates to Safari in OS X Yosemite, including adding a new "blazing-fast [Nitro] JavaScript engine" and energy saving technologies to make Safari both faster and more energy efficient. According to Apple, Safari is significantly faster than both Firefox and Chrome, a claim that was tested by CNET and received mixed results.

safaribenchmarks-800x542.jpg

Safari did better on Apple's JetStream and Speedometer benchmarks that measure JavaScript performance, and it also outperformed Chrome and Firefox using JSBench, but CNET's testing saw it perform worse on Google's Octane benchmark and Mozilla's Kraken benchmark.

The new Safari 8 did demonstrate significant improvements over Safari 7, scoring 81 percent better on JetStream and 89 percent better on Speedometer, suggesting Apple has indeed made some major under-the-hood improvements to the browser.

Along with speed improvements, Safari gained some new security features, including DuckDuckGo support and isolated Private Browsing windows that allow users to have a non-private browsing window open at the same time as a private browsing window. The browser also continues to offer third-party cookie blocking, malware monitoring, and sandboxing for websites.

Safari received a complete visual overhaul in OS X Yosemite, introducing a new streamlined look that does away with the favorites bar by default and a revamped Tab View that displays all open tabs in a tiled arrangement, much like iOS.

safari.jpg

Safari has also benefitted from Handoff, a Continuity feature that allows users to open a webpage on a Mac and seamlessly continue browsing on an iOS device (or vice versa), and the browser natively supports Netflix, providing two extra hours of battery life when watching movies or TV shows.

Built into OS X Yosemite, Safari 8 is automatically installed alongside the new operating system. Released on October 16, Yosemite is estimated to be installed on approximately 20 percent of Macs at this point in time.

Article Link: Apple Encouraging Chrome and Firefox Users to Try Safari After Installing Yosemite

Last edited:

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Safari needs more extension support and a GUI that doesn't look like I'm using an iPad.

powertoold

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I tried to use Safari when I upgraded to Yosemite, but the menus froze and overall the experience still wasn't as good as Firefox.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Couldn't agree more, Safari on Yosemite is truly something else. It's also the most efficient and plays great with iOS devices, why even use those crap alternatives?

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2012
I've officially stopped using Chrome. Safari has Adblock Plus now and is insanely fast. Not to mention that Chrome unnecessarily activates the dedicated video card on my MacBook, such a power hog. The new Safari is just too good.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Also, if Chrome or Firefox is your default browser, when you open safari the next time it will ask if you want to make safari your default.

Honestly, it felt a little low for Apple. If I want to make safari my default, I'll do it without apple begging me to change over.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
When I tried Yosemite I will vouch that Safari seemed pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.