Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook took the stage today at the WSJ.D conference in Laguna Beach, California, where he commented on an array of topics including the Apple Watch, Apple Pay, Apple TV, and more.

Unsurprisingly, Cook said that Apple is "excited" about the upcoming launch of the Apple Watch, and he's impressed that Jony Ive and his team had the foresight to understand that "something you wear has to be personal" and that it can't be "geeky."

applewatch11.jpg
Cook divulged some new information on the Apple Watch's battery, which has previously gone unmentioned by Apple. Cook says that people will use it so much that it will need to be charged on a daily basis. "You're going to wind up charging it daily," he said, declining to provide a specific battery life for the device as Apple is still examining how people use it.

Battery life on the Apple Watch has been in question since long before the device launched, with early reports suggesting Apple was having trouble getting the device to last longer than a day. While the company was originally aiming to have the Apple Watch last three to four days, it appears that battery life may be closer to the iPhone's battery life, requiring a charge on a nightly basis. Apple employees have also suggested that the device may only last for a full day of usage, which is why Apple designed an easy charging system.

The Apple Watch connects to a magnetic charger that's much like the MagSafe chargers supplied with the Mac, snapping easily to the back of the device. High-end versions of the Apple Watch even ship in a luxury box that doubles as a charging stand. Apple likely has not commented officially on the Apple Watch battery as it is continuing to finalize the software for the device ahead of its early 2015 launch.

An official rough transcript of Cook's comments during the interview, which also covered the Mac, the iPhone, Apple's taxes in Ireland, plans for a low cost iPhone, and Cook's thoughts on Carl Icahn, can be found over at The Wall Street Journal, and a second comprehensive live blog from Fast Company's Harry McCracken also has details on exactly what Cook shared during the conversation.

Article Link: Tim Cook on Apple Watch: 'You're Going to Wind Up Charging It Daily'

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
Not surprised and not bothered, either. The Apple Watch is going to be awesome, so I'll be using it quite a bit. Getting a full day out of it is enough for me! Can't wait for pre-orders. :apple:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't get why Tim Cook shows up at these events as he never really says anything interesting. His comments about TV are the exact same comments from 2012 and 2013. The only interesting thing he said tonight is he's meeting with Jack Ma this week to discuss a potential partnership with Alibaba.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
He says it as if it's a good thing... Like as if the only reason well charge it again is because we love it sooo much that we just always want to have a full battery. Not like we just need a time keeper and the battery is at 2%...

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Well, if I use my phone A LOT it also will only last a day. The point of the article is the usefullness of the watch. If its barely used, it would surely last 3 days, and so what!

Phones also lasted a week before the Iphone came in and we know how that turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not surprised and not bothered, either. The Apple Watch is going to be awesome, so I'll be using it quite a bit. Getting a full day out of it is enough for me! Can't wait for pre-orders. :apple:

I'm not sure why MR chose this headline as if this is some big news/outrage. This isn't the first time Cook said he expects people will charge it overnight. The headline of this interview was 1 million credit cards being activated 72 hours. Now we know why CVS and Rite-Aid shut off NFC.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
One more thing I have to remember to charge (that won't conveniently be docked in my car to/from the office).

If you begin relying on this for anything productive, it's going to quickly become a hassle.

Think I'll stick with my automatics. :)

i'm.huMAC

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
oh jony

"Since the Apple Watch requires daily charge cycles, users are given a more intimate experience of sitting down with their Apple Watch and waiting for it. iPhone users familiar with this feature would be pleased to know that charging their Apple Watch will work seamlessly through their daily routines. Consciously checking on the remaining battery life often allows users to gain a personal connection with their Apple Watch."

1671131-poster-1280-jony-ive.jpg

#

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I'm not sure what folks were expecting. They are bound by current battery technologies just like everyone else. I'm sure the engineers are doing the best they can with what they have.

*shrug*

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Meh, I charge enough stuff. I don't want my watch to need daily charging because that means in a year it will need twice daily, than thrice daily..and so on.

When they can get it to about 4 days per charge for a "watch" I'll take interest. It certainly is new and exciting, but I just don't think it's practical right now. Plus, I want to see if the idea will last, or be abandoned in 3 years.

Lestdog

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Still don't get this thing. They've got to be working one that's independent of the phone right? AND waterproof so that when I'm surfing I don't have to come back in and check my phone for messages while I'm all call.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
He says it as if it's a good thing... Like as if the only reason well charge it again is because we love it sooo much that we just always want to have a full battery. Not like we just need a time keeper and the battery is at 2%...

I'm sure if the technology was there to make it last a few days, they'd put it in. But they aren't going to make a behemoth like the Moto 360 or Gear S. They will wait until battery, screen, and cellular technology catch up before getting too aggressive. First and foremost, the Apple Watch needs to look good.

----------

Still don't get this thing. They've got to be working one that's independent of the phone right? AND waterproof so that when I'm surfing I don't have to come back in and check my phone for messages while I'm all call.

Perhaps, but the technology isn't there yet. The most important thing is that the Watch needs to look good. Every other design and engineering decision flows from that.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
They can't make the battery TOO good otherwise there won't be enough incentive to buy Apple Watch 2 :apple:

There is only a few ways to make the watch last longer :
- Make it do less.... PRetty sure that this is a non starter, people already complain that this doesn't do enough
- Use components that take less energy. Battery tech is not improving soon, they're already using the most efficient screen, so that leaves the SOC. IF they're already using 20nm now, they're already using the best SOC around. If not (which I doubt, since having the most energy efficent SOC is even more important in a watch than a phone), you could get 25% more efficient in the next iteration.
- Make it bigger, heavier... Well, know Apple, this is NOT happening.

So, no I don't think they're holding anything back. That makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
"Wind up"

Interesting choice of words

That's what I thought.
Oh Cook. I see what you did there.

Although they do make crank-powered flashlights that have USB charging ports. So you could hook up your Apple Watch to it and literally wind it up to charge it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
People do realize they're not required to buy an Watch right?

That's not correct. If you read the tiny print when you signed up for iTunes, you'll see that you are required to buy the Edition. :D

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
"Since the Apple Watch requires daily charge cycles, users are given a more intimate experience of sitting down with their Apple Watch and waiting for it. iPhone users familiar with this feature would be pleased to know that charging their Apple Watch will work seamlessly through their daily routines. Consciously checking on the remaining battery life often allows users to gain a personal connection with their Apple Watch."

#

I read this in his voice.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

If you had cell on it, it would barely last 3 hours before dying, same with WIFI or GPS; the reason, battery tech limitation. It's water resistant, but not waterproof, so OK for running in the rain and not OK for surfing.

If you want to listen to music while running, monitoring your heart and counting your step, it is AOK right now.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Amazing to me they'd bring a daily charger to market.

Tethered to the iPhone, tethered to an outlet. Competitor commercials forthcoming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.