Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is encouraging customers that have opted to stick with older versions of iOS to upgrade to its latest mobile operating system, iOS 8, released to the public in September.

The company has been sending out emails to iOS users who have yet to install iOS 8, letting them know that their "iOS 8 update is waiting." The email offers information on what's included with iOS 8, detailing features like QuickType, the new Health app, Family Sharing, iCloud Drive, and Continuity.

It also gives specific installation instructions, letting users know that they can upgrade wirelessly using the Software Update tool or through iTunes if their devices are low on space. Apple's iTunes installation tip could spur quite a few users to upgrade, as a lack of free space on low capacity devices appears to be one of the major factors preventing users from updating.

appleios8upgradeemail-800x504.jpg
iOS 8 adoption has been somewhat slower than iOS 7 adoption, and just three weeks after it was released, iOS 8 installation numbers had stagnated. While we originally chalked this up to a number of significant bugs in the operating system, our readers quickly pointed out that an over-the-air update requiring 5GB of free space was a major hurdle to overcome. Many users seem to be unaware that installing via iTunes is an option, as evidenced in one comment on our forums:
I have friends who are still on iOS 7 because they don't have enough free space available to upgrade. When I tell them they can upgrade by connecting their phones to their computers, and thus, doing it through iTunes, they look at me like I'm crazy, or like it's 2008 or something.
Over the course of the last week, iOS 8 adoption numbers have picked up somewhat, after Apple introduced new features like Apple Pay with the recent iOS 8.1 update. As of October 27, Apple's official installation numbers suggested the OS was on 52 percent of devices, up from 48 percent on October 13, and data from MixPanel suggests that number has risen even higher in November, hitting 59 percent.

(Thanks, Jaime!)

Article Link: Apple Sending Emails Encouraging Customers to Upgrade to iOS 8

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
How about they fix all the annoying bugs then people will update...how about that? Logic anyone? Lucky enough I have an iPad Air 2 which doesn't have as many annoyances as older devices.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Starts with "hey , you lazy f$cks..."
Seriously though, unless you have the lowest hardware supported, why wouldn't you update as soon as you know the bugs are worked out (looking at you iOS 8.0.1).

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
What bugs are people experiencing? Honestly wondering because I've upgraded both platforms and I don't have any problems. I experience more problems with app updates than iOS or Mac updates.

mbc2237

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
Interestingly, I already have it installed and I still got the email. Looks like even their email notifications are a little buggy with iOS 8. Anything related to it is a mess. Although, besides the health kit still being FUBAR for me, i haven't had too many issues. Some random rebooting on my iphone 6 but nothing like what people are describing for the iphone 6+ thing.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Well you still need free space to update through iTunes... that's why I haven't done the latest update either.

And yeah I should clear some space on the iPad, but then I gotta sort through apps, delete stuff, what a hassle. And what's the rush!

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
16GB Isn't enough for even the most casual of users anymore. Most of my friends are down to 100's of MB of free space, far from the 5GB required to update.

And iCloud Photo Share Library Storage Cloud Beta Share Backup 5GB Optimized is so convoluted that casual users don't even bother trying to figure out how that crap works and would rather just manually manage their photo libraries every time they get a low disk space error.

I think Apple put this on themselves and they're just gonna have to get used to not being able to brag about the amount of users on their latest OS.

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
after Apple introduced new features like Apple Pay with the recent iOS 8.1 update.
Apple Pay, which is only available on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which would have shipped with iOS 8 installed anyway. Not sure what the point of mentioning this was.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
If they really wanted to see adoption skyrocket, they'd bundle another U2 album with the OS.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
16GB Isn't enough for even the most casual of users anymore.

And iCloud Photo Share Library Storage Cloud Beta Share Backup 5GB Optimized is so convoluted that casual users don't even bother trying to figure out how that crap works and would rather just manually manage their photo libraries every time they get a low disk space error.

I think Apple put this on themselves and they're just gonna have to get used to not being able to brag about the amount of users on their latest OS.

I think the main problem is, Apple finally went with a larger screen, and you've got some people that want to cling to their 4" iPhone as long as possible, and just don't care about updating the OS.
You'll see these people finally give up their phones on the next go around, when they finally realize that Apple isn't making another 4" iPhone.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I upgraded my 5S and Retina Mini just so I could jailbreak before 8.1.1 is released. Very happy I did so. I have not experienced any bugs in the OS.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I'm surprised it wasn't obvious that people didn't have 5GB of space to do the upgrade. Also surprised very few tech sites mentioned you could do it through iTunes and not need all that space.

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Worst enemy

Apple is their own worst enemy on this one. I have 3 'older' devices that have 16GB and can't update without cleaning off a lot of stuff. With the size of these recent updates 16GB should have never been an option with new devices. Apple, I'm a big fan but you are getting what you deserve with this one.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
If you have a 16gb iPhone, you can not simply upgrade with a "few taps". I call bs.
I did. Did a full iCloud backup, and then reset the device completely.
Updated the phone afterwards and then all apps and data were then restored.
Or, plug iPhone into computer, click update in iTunes.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Apple needs to make it so iOS supports older hardware. They need to offer legacy support. They need to fall back gracefully on features that the hardware can't handle. It's very doable and they have BILLIONS in the bank to support this sort of work. It is environmentally friendly and would bring in hundreds of millions of users from the cold.

Same goes for MacOS X.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Apple Pay, which is only available on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which would have shipped with iOS 8 installed anyway. Not sure what the point of mentioning this was.

You only have to read the part of the sentence you omitted in your quote:

Over the course of the last week, iOS 8 adoption numbers have picked up somewhat, after Apple introduced new features like Apple Pay with the recent iOS 8.1 update.

The article is explaining how iOS 8 adoption numbers have picked up, due to such features as Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.