Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" may not enter mass production until the second quarter of 2015, according to new predictions from often-reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. He believes that the iPad Pro will use an oxide panel to achieve a "high resolution, quick response, and high color saturation," and that the time needed for component yield and assembly to improve will push back production until 2Q 2015.

Earlier this year, a report from Bloomberg suggested the iPad Pro might be released in early 2015, but an October report from The Wall Street Journal indicated Apple had delayed its planned December mass production of the tablet in order to focus its attention on producing more iPhone 6 Plus units, leaving a potential iPad Pro release date up in the air.

12_9_ipad_macbook_air-800x450.jpg
Mockup of 12.9-inch iPad Pro next to 13-inch MacBook Air
Little is known about the iPad Pro aside from its 12.2 to 12.9-inch display size, which dwarfs the smaller 9.7-inch iPad Air 2 and the 7.9-inch iPad mini 3. Rumors have also suggested that it will offer the same A8X processor introduced with the iPad Air 2 along with an ultra high resolution display and a 7mm-thick form factor that's similar to existing iPads.

Kuo's report also focuses on forecasting iPad shipments, which he believes will fall 54.5 percent quarter over quarter to just 9.8 million units during the first calendar quarter of 2015. He points towards the lack of new applications and a saturation of the tablet market as the basis for his prediction.
We believe that, in a major shift, while Apple (US) used to be able to use new form factor designs to boost demand, it has failed to do so this time around. The lighter and thinner iPad Air 2 will face strong headwinds in increasing sales in 1Q15, we believe; we also hold that this means that iPad, along with the entire tablet market, is faced with structural challenges characterized by a lack of new applications and market saturation. We don't think these challenges will be easily overcome by upgraded specs, new form factor designs or lower prices.
Kuo's estimate is rather low, considering Apple sold 16.35 million million iPads during the first calendar quarter of 2014, but iPad sales have been down for the past three quarters in a row. During the fourth fiscal quarter of 2014, Apple sold 12.3 million iPads, down from 14.1 million units in 2013.

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the drop in iPad sales is just a "speed bump" that the company will overcome. He told investors earlier this year that "significant innovation can be brought to the iPad," and suggested Apple was working on such improvements. The upcoming 12.9-inch iPad Pro may be Apple's first step towards bolstering its iPad lineup, and the company is also said to be working on new iPad features, like split-screen multitasking.

Article Link: 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Production Rumored for Q2 2015 Amid Manufacturing Difficulties

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
At that point it'll probably just slip to Q3/Q4 with the rest of the iPad line up.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Is it even real?

The same question that can still be asked about a full-fledged Apple TV. Or maybe it'll actually show up, like the 6 Plus and the Watch.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Unlike iPhone, no need to upgrade iPad every two years

Like the article says, the tablet market is now saturated and spec bumps and thin-ness are no longer enough of an incentive to upgrade.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
1) Split screen on a 12" device make sense because you will have 2x 6" windows, and not like devices like note when you make split screen you have 2x of 2.8" screens, what the hell can you do on 2.8" screen?!
2) Multi users. accounts..at least admin and a guest accounts

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
At that point it'll probably just slip to Q3/Q4 with the rest of the iPad line up.
If they do that then are they going to stick with the A8X in which case their new flagship model won't have flagship specs or are they going to have to redesign to or accelerate development of an A9X iPad Pro? If they can launch an A8X iPad Pro in Q2 they probably should, because delaying it to Q3/Q4 might create as many problems as it solves.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Another analyst claiming a rumored product will be delayed due to manufacturing/supply issues. I'm sure before the year is over it will be all kinds of predictions about Watch being delayed due to supply constraints or whatever. Yawn. When his this not been said about an Apple product?

MacintoshMan

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
There's going to be a day when apple no longer makes anything except for iPads and iPads w/ keyboards =[

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
That's pretty significant sales drops forecasted. I guess thinner, faster, better only works for so long until people "get it" and start keeping their tablets instead of upgrading. That, and the hidden code Apple puts in new iOS versions that slows down perfectly good older iPads to the point of being frustratingly slow, causing the owner to spend the money on a new one. :)

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I can't wait for iPad Pro to be released....not because I want one, but, because I want these rumors to stop.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
if all it is a bigger iPad I don't see the point. It has to do something more then what the current iPads do.

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
This would be great if it has the ability to multitask with multiple Apps shown at the same time, blurring the lines between tablet and computer.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
other than a faster chip there is littler difference between the ipad 4 and the air 2, so why would any of this be appealing?? i'm still using my ipad 3. and really have no intention ob buying a new ipad until they make a truly professional model. one that runs osx, or uses something on par with wacom to write and draw with a pen. how about 4khd?? or a usb and or micro card slot?? 256GB flash?? any combo of these things would be worthy of being called pro. but im guessing all we will get is an ipad air 2 that has a bigger screen size.

if not for all the money i've spent in apps i'd be jumpimg ship to surface as far as tablets go!!!

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Is there any apple product that doesn't have manufacturing difficulties/delays?

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
This would be great if it has the ability to multitask with multiple Apps shown at the same time, blurring the lines between tablet and computer.

Android tablets already do that for years. Apple needs to come up with a little more than that gimmick.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The iPad is stagnant because it needs more innovation on the software side. The internals of the iPad Air 2 are amazing, but who is really going to take advantage of it; very few people.

The productivity side to tablets is still lackluster and is in its infancy.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Works for Android makers.

You mean it works for Apple to claim "innovation" by copying Android models. Innovation means to do it first, not be a copy-cat.

I'd love to see Apple do something like a Dell XPS 18, but as an iMac Tablet. A portable, thin, big screen Mac with Retina or 4K display would be innovative from a Mac point of view. Of course, Dell would have already done it, so it wouldn't be original innovation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.