Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chip suppliers within the Apple Watch supply chain have begun "gearing up" to start production for Apple's new device, according to a new report from Digitimes. Chip orders are estimated to be around 30 - 40 million units for a debut in early 2015.

applewatch11.jpg
Digitimes had previously reported, prior to Apple's September 9 event, that the device was at the engineering verification test stage and needed to complete product verification testing before entering mass production. It appears that the Apple Watch has now passed that milestone and is beginning to enter mass production for its debut in early 2015.

Apple Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores Angela Ahrendts had previously revealed that the device would debut in Spring 2015, with several reports indicating that Apple was aiming for Valentine's Day 2015 as a potential launch date. Apple Watch pricing will start at $350 for the aluminum version, while the stainless steel and gold editions will reportedly retail for prices starting at $500 and $4,000 respectively.

Article Link: Apple Watch Chipmakers Said to Be Gearing Up Production

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Shocker

Hard to believe that Apple is trying to produce a product that they've announced they are trying to produce. MR brings great insight.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
30-40 millions. Wow that's an ambitious goal. I am still on the fence myself as I am not sure if it really adds value for me. The design I find ok but not great.

smitm272

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
And the bands?

I hope they will at least produce the detachable bands in advance. Imagine waiting so long for the watch, only to discover that your preferred band is sold out. They better build that inventory well in advance.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
30-40 millions. Wow that's an ambitious goal. I am still on the fence myself as I am not sure if it really adds value for me. The design I find ok but not great.

I see zero value in owning one, except for 'owning one'. If you do end up finding a decent reason, please let me know.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Its less than 5-7% of Iphones out there, so if they make it compelling enough there's a big chance that this will take off.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
cellphone makers - are just trying for dear life to create a new category that nobody cares for.

Steve jobs once said not to chase the trends but to create them

Apple has failed :apple:

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
cellphone makers - are just trying for dear life to create a new category that nobody cares for.

I care so your claim is false.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA

I am in the boat with you.

I haven't worn a watch in years and this doesn't interest me at all.

They will sell a few but it isn't the next Iphone, iPod or iPad.

Build a better iPad mini and I am in line.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I thought it said "30-40 trillion" units :eek:

"The sporty new Apple Watch will feature a variance Core chip, the i4 running at 16MHz, just enough to power the calculator.app"

:):apple:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
30-40 million is…optimistic. Oh wait, Digitimes. Disregard this whole story.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Put me in for the $4000 watch as long as it doesn't come with the buggy Yosemite like my $5000 Mac Pro!

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
40 million units? That seems like really excessive.

If they sold that many in a year it would be 3x as many iPads as were sold in their first year.

Walmart? Target? Sam's Club? -- Just think, with a product like this, they will put them in every department store and jewelry store in America...more units being produced for more store coverage.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Does it make sense for the Gold Edition buyers to be on the 'S' upgrade cycle? If you are plopping down $4K every two years, you might as well get the model that has the more refined internals.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Put me in for the $4000 watch as long as it doesn't come with the buggy Yosemite like my $5000 Mac Pro!

Your Mac Pro can run Mavericks...they haven't designed them to exclusively only be able to run 10.10 or later yet. All 2013-2014 Mac Pros will run Mavericks.

frankk

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Just had my card details stolen (don't know how) and have been defrauded $2.5k. I'll get the money back but not having the card for a week and the temporary reduced balance is a hassle.

The price of the :apple:Watch at $350 is justified for me solely for :apple:Pay, especially as I do not want to upgrade my iPhone 5S. Pity there is no news of :apple:Pay rollout here in Australia. We are ready! 90% of my payments are already 'tap and go'.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

This pretty much exactly sums up how I feel. It would be neat, but worth it? I'm a pretty hardcore Apple user too. Of course I wouldn't get the cruddy sport edition which is aluminum with a more regular glass. That thing would get scratched to crap and has lame bands. Have to at least get the stainless steel, and $500 seems like a conservative number to me. It's especially bad if I have to constantly charge the thing, and I wish it was waterproof to at least a shallow depth of a few feet and not just water resistant. It also doesn't seem like it has many sensors, but maybe they will tell us more early next year?

I really want something like a wider band that goes on my arm. Not a lot wider, and also a curved screen. Would be neat to have a low power display mode that could keep the colors on the band at all times like a fancy wrist wallpaper. That's probably something that we won't see for a long time though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.